Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seating (Read 15067 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Seating
Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Lefty, if you are happy with your present load shooting fixed, then you might want to consider adding an extra barrel that is throated for your new bullet.  Once something is working well it might not be good to mess with it.

Chris.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Why wouldn't an off-hand shooter want to shoot the most accurate load possible, or "how far do you want to miss. It takes maybe fifteen seconds more to breech seat than fixed. When you score your target you count rings-the shot either touched that ring or it didn't.  Ledball

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:25am
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:20am:
Why wouldn't an off-hand shooter want to shoot the most accurate load possible, or "how far do you want to miss. It takes maybe fifteen seconds more to breech seat than fixed. When you score your target you count rings-the shot either touched that ring or it didn't.  Ledball

Yeah!

Here's a good video 40_Rod did on our sport. John shows how easy breech seating a bullet is. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
A good OH shooter is giving away points if they don't BS. In general I would say that grouping will at least double shooting fixed at 200 yards and I can think of only two guys that ever were competitive with fixed. Merrill Martin was one of them and I'm not sure if he ever won a ASSRA match but, I do know that he placed in the top three at times. His chamber and throating were of the CBA BR style with a straight neck, ball seat and a long lead. I don't know if anyone chambers the 32/40 with a straight neck but, if they don't and don't use the above type throating, accuracy with fixed will be severly lacking. Even with that type chamber/throat, I doubt that you can get better than 3" for 10 shots at 200 and I would think that one or two of the ten would drop out of that.

I believe that even if your a poor OH shooter like me, that fixed will hurt you. You may luck into a better shot because the "angle of despersion" went opposite of you unsteadiness but, it will also go in the same direction of it as many times as not Sad

Back in '93 when Jim Feren shot the still standing, record OH 241- 5c, I do not think he would have even considered a good fixed load, even with his skill it would have probably cost him at least 5 points.

OT but, BTW, just for the record his 241 - 5c was not a re-entery match as is listed, it was part of his record 100 shot score and just think what it could have been with a rifle that would shoot 250's instead of a 245 - 246 rifle.

Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:30pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Breech seating is also good for when you need to re-light your pipe or cigar. Need a rest or a drag off the oxygen bottle. Gives you time to mess with the guy next to you. Time to flirt with the Schuetzen groupie chicks that hang out at the matches. Or........ prepare for your next record shot. Why get in a hurry?   

Joe.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Schuetzen groupie chicks

Man, I've been going to the wrong matches  Shocked

Pictures, please.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:30am:
Chris where are you located so we can guide you to a Schuetzen match in your area. 

JLouis

I know where the closest matches are...............2 1/2 hours drive away.  Might try and connect with them some day.

Chris
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I'm well aware of the "shoot the best possible ammo you can" argument. And for many/most breech seating provides a little better accuracy than shooting fixed ammo (Assuming the gun is mechanically set up for it)
All I can report is what I have seen on the line at EG.  Almost all of the offhand shooters who turn in the top scores are shooting fixed ammo even ones who breech-seat when shooting off the bench.
When I've questioned some about this I have had varying answers; one I get frequently is that the variations in movement as they sight and trip the trigger gives a larger group than breech seating would cure---so they figure it is pretty much a waste of their time and effort. Another is that shifting stance and position to go through the breech-seating routine would cause too much disruption to their learned "routine".  Others that putting the rifle down into a position to perform the breech seating steps and then lifting it back up (figure a 12-14 or more pound rifle in a 100 shot match-it adds up) would get too fatiguing.    
Take any or all of that for what they are worth---its just what I have been told as I am starting on the CF offhand learning curve.  I have been shooting rimfire OH for a few years now, but no OH experience prior to that. Next year will be the first I will actually be trying to shoot centerfire offhand.   I have mixed thoughts on thus and will most likely try using both methods.

FWIW: some of our top bench rest shooters who normally shoot by breech seating may also keep a group of fixed rounds on the bench; just in case a "condition" situation pops up where they feel they need to get a group of shots off in rapid sequence before the condition changes.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:18pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I was at Etna Green twice. Was not aware of anyone shooting fixed ammo. Know for a fact Chuck Blender and Dave Stahl were breech seating. 

As for the difference in accuracy, it's down right dramatic. No slight improvement, a big improvement.

Think Dave Stahl was working on fixed ammo for OH shooting. Not sure what he's doing these days. 

Don't know of anyone who can hold a heavy schuetzen rifle up for 100 shots. I set my rifle on the bench after every shot. One reason is to locate and mark my last record shot and load the rifle. I don't recall any top shooters using fixed ammo anywhere.  Have used stopring bullets in some of my American made rifles. Found it best to load the same as I do for BR. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Joe,  Dave and Bob Glenn are almost strictly off hand shooters, don't do much bench to speak of.   I may be wrong but I think both are shooting fixed now,  or at least I see boxes of fixed on their benches.   We have 3 or 4 other good offhand shooters, most of whom have migrated from either high-power offhand or ML.  We do have other offhand shooters and some are breech-seating shooters. I'll really be paying more attention this year to who is shooting what, and how since I'm starting a whole new learning curve.
As Frank said  "A good OH shooter is giving away points if they don't BS".  (My emphasis on the "good" ) 

So many different and variable factors go into making a winning score.  I dare say that an offhand shooter who can "hold" to a 2 MOA or so is going to win with any decent ammo, whether he breech-seats it or not. Wink

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I am with questionable Maynard on this one. If Harry Pope had not made an error an error breech seating we would be shooting the Pope match not the Hudson match.

Fact of the matter is breech will make a minute and a half rifle a one minute rifle.  Tired loose focus make a mistake one shot can cost 15 points on the ASSRA target.

It ain't worth it.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #26 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
BS!  Lol! Internet shooters!!   Grin

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #27 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
When I venture to Spokane this spring, will predict there will not be one shooter, using fixed ammunition for BR or OH. 

You talkers come join the fun and show us how it's done!  Grin

Joe.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
ain't it fun Grin Grin   
but beats sitting and staring at the snow drifts. and the basement is way too damn cold to go down and cast bullets.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
63 here today forecast for tomorrow is 66

Joe get your best breech seating shooters and come over to Virginia. Will show you how it's done. Stand and deliver no balking.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint