Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cost of rebarrel job (Read 17734 times)
JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Re: Cost of rebarrel job
Reply #45 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Corrosive primers?

Jim H.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #46 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 4:45pm:
A number of years ago I thought single shot would be fun. I had hunted for years with Thompson Contenders and I really liked the challenge of "one". 
I got involved with Single Shot Rifles by collecting Ruger #1V rifles. I have 7 of them and most have never been shot! Just a nice collection.
I decided I wanted to get into BPCR. Two years ago I bought a Pedersoli Sharps "Benchrest" model for $950..It was used but looked brand new. It is an amazingly accurate rifle.
I then went crazy buying SS rifles. Love them all!
Then I had a chance to buy a Uberti 1885 in 38-55 for $800 and fell in love with the 38-55. This rifle is stupid accurate with just about anything I load..Black or Smokeless.
But easily the best bang for the buck, is the various lever action rifles I bought for a couple hundred dollars in 30-30 and 32 Special and then sent out to JES Reboring and had the barrel bored and cut rifled to 38-55. I have four of them and they are all as accurate as I can hold them! Not one of them runs me more than $600 total....
Be careful, once you get the "fever" for these single shot rifles all reason goes out the window!
You can check out my collection here:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Sure wish I could find the rifle I'm looking for at that kind of price!  Of course, I don't know what you mean by "a number of years ago" either!  Grin  (a number of years ago I could buy a gallon of gas for 25 cents!) 

Chris
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Chris,

Other than the Rugers, all the single shots in my collection have been purchased within the last two years.

Great deals are out there is you spend the time looking for them. Many of them I bought by placing a Wanted To Buy ad on various forum websites.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
That's a good idea.  In fact, that's how I found the property I presently live on!  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

Bubba
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I looked at the furniture on your websight. While I don't know for sure,  I would think that if a man with that kind of talent and access to that kind of nice wood was to build the occasional range box or tool box, he could probably trade for a lot of what you're looking at.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
I looked at the furniture on your websight. While I don't know for sure,  I would think that if a man with that kind of talent and access to that kind of nice wood was to build the occasional range box or tool box, he could probably trade for a lot of what you're looking at.

Thanks, Bubba.  Both for the compliment and suggestion.  I don't know what a range box is, but if it's made of wood, I can make it.   If anyone is interested, or if you know anyone interested, send me some specifications and we'll get started.

Chris
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Chris, look at the Cal Graf Design site, it'll show you what kinds of boxes shooters are using and pricing.
All shooters need shooting boxes.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Also check out the Shiloh Sharps website and see the range and line boxes they offer. 

Also, the Cal-Graf owner is retiring and not taking orders past April. Contact him and see if he wants to sell the business name and website.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #53 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I'll look at the Shiloh Sharps boxes.  Thanks.

Yes, Hal Graf is selling his business.  I'm not inclined to buy another woodworking business when all I need is dimensions needed for range boxes and ammunition boxes, etc.  I can make anything Hal was making with the equipment I already have.

Chris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint