Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cost of rebarrel job (Read 17704 times)
.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Re: Cost of rebarrel job
Reply #30 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
"Well, about all I can say is I envy you boys your toys!"
I know it's not easy for young people to get into this sport. In the 70's and 80's I worked two jobs. The money I earned on my part-time job, my wife allowed me to use it as my "mad money". I used that money to buy and then sell cars. I made a few hundred $ here and there and was able to by the car I always wanted, a Corvette ( a '62 for $1250 in 1974). I flipped that car and so on. During the 90's I bought up guns and parts every time I saw something priced in my price range, trying to think what they'll be worth down the line. I sold some and kept some, but kept trading up. I'm retired and have a nice collection of rifles. I have pretty much all the guns that I always wanted, with two Rollers under construction as we speak. I still keep my eyes open for good deals, things I can buy and flip to make more $ to fund more projects. There are deals out there, but you have to pull the trigger when you see something. I suggest that you think about buying an old rifle as an investment that you can use. If you asked on the forum, I expect that many here will have similar stories.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Well, I'd not say I'm old, but I'm certainly not considered young at 69.   Wink  I'm retired and on a very low fixed income and don't have an extra 3 or 4 grand sitting around from any kind of a retirement plan.  I was hoping to get into a single-shot rifle at less expense than a lever action Marlin.  I was ignorant of the prices...............my fault.  So, like I said, I envy you boys your toys.  I'll have to go play in a sand box I can afford.  Grin  What is it they say, "If ya can't run with the big dogs, don't git off'n the porch!"  Roll Eyes

Chris
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Chris, 
I'm the same age you are. You can put together a SS based on the Stevens 44 for under $800 but, you won't be able to do it in 38/55. The 38/55 takes a stronger action than the 44. The 44 will work very well with the 25/20 cartridge though or 22rf.

I sold a 44 last year to a guy on this forum for $400 in very good condition in 25/20 SS. It would not shoot and I explained that to him. He rebarreled it in the same caliber and last I knew, it was shooting very well.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Chris, not to derail you on your search for a single shot, but you've mentioned 93 marlins a couple of times.

We had a friend on here pass away a few months ago.  In the last two years of his life, I purchased a few of his incomplete projects, when he needed some help on doctor bills.  In that bunch there are 3 93 marlins, of which I know very little.  Two are takedowns, and one is a fixed barrel.  The fixed barrel has a NEW old stock .38-55 barrel in it, I think one of the takedowns is in .38-55 and the other in .30-30.  The one with the new barrel is the metal only, does not include stocks.  The stocks are available semi-inletted for the $100 cost range.   

I've been contemplating selling them, and know they would be a LOT less than the $1000 cost you threw out there.  I think I'm into them a lot closer to $500 apiece, and would sell them for what I have in them.  They're not pristine collectors, one is metal only, one needs buttstock, one is complete but really needs the stocks replaced.   

Let me know if you're interested, I have been trying to get the time to take them apart and ebay the pieces, but have too many other things going on.  I've spent the past several months decluttering my shop and safe and selling stuff off, it's been slow and I'm doing bigger items first, these don't take up much room and they have a lot of pieces to sell when I do get to them.

Seen a couple references to your website?  What kind of work do you do, and do you have a link to the site?

dave

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
You have a PM.

Chris
IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Chris don't give up on a single shot rifle, get out to the guns shows and watch the local papers also postings in sporting goods, hardware stores.
Very few quality single shots up where I live, I managed to find some of them through the gun shows and ad's in the newspaper also word of mouth and the local gun club, did not purchase any of them as they duplicated rifles I already had, some were under $1000 and any would have made a good starter rifle for Schuetzen.

Have not seen anything but large bore rolling blocks lately.

Mike

Chris C wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 5:16pm:
Well, I'd not say I'm old, but I'm certainly not considered young at 69.   Wink  I'm retired and on a very low fixed income and don't have an extra 3 or 4 grand sitting around from any kind of a retirement plan.  I was hoping to get into a single-shot rifle at less expense than a lever action Marlin.  I was ignorant of the prices...............my fault.  So, like I said, I envy you boys your toys.  I'll have to go play in a sand box I can afford.  Grin  What is it they say, "If ya can't run with the big dogs, don't git off'n the porch!"  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Mike,

I'm going to do my best to go to the Wanamaker Tulsa Arms Show in Tulsa, OK in April.  4,200 tables.  Ought to be some decent rifles there.

Chris
IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #37 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Give this club a call,  they may help you get your feet wet.   
Oil Capitol Rod and Gun Club, Tulsa, (exp 2014) Phillip Hart,   918-371-5203

I would say that lining a barrel is the way to get started,  but by the the time you buy a lathe and mill and take a metal class at the local community college,   that won't be any cheaper.   The local guys should be able to point  you in the direction  of  local shops that might be less expensive.

Show off you furniture and you might get a trade!

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the phone number.  I've got a machinist's background.............just none of the equipment any longer, so I'd have to pay someone to do the work, I'm afraid.

Chris
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
There's a lot of different facets to gun work.  Good wood workers are harder to find and more expensive than good metal workers.   That's why you see so many well done actions out there with mediocre or even awful stocks.   Your skill level as evidenced by your website would put you in the top of the woodworkers very quickly if you decided to do stock work.   

I bet you could easily trade stock work for metal work if you're inclined to spend the time.  Good stockmakers easily command $30 per hour.  Well known ones might come close to doubling that.

dave

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #40 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Wish you the best of luck finding something at the Gun Show Chris, must say I have found the best deals right around where I live.
Mike

Chris C wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:18pm:
Mike,

I'm going to do my best to go to the Wanamaker Tulsa Arms Show in Tulsa, OK in April.  4,200 tables.  Ought to be some decent rifles there.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #41 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Wannamakers is worth going to, even if you don't find a gun you want to buy! There's no shortage to look at there, just don't be shocked by the high asking prices. Most those sellers know they're dealing with people from all over the USA, and often ad 50-100% to the prices, but will come down quickly if you're serious and have cash.
Those old 1893's in a 30" barrel are super scarce! When I was avidly collecting Marlin repeaters I sought extra length barrels the most, and had very little success finding anything longer than a 28" barrel. I did sell a 32" 1893 last year; the only 32" I ever saw in all my years of collecting them!
If you're interested in a Ballard in .44-40, drop me a PM. I have one with a great bore that I can send you pics of. It's in your price range I think; at least much less than anything you could put together.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
A number of years ago I thought single shot would be fun. I had hunted for years with Thompson Contenders and I really liked the challenge of "one". 
I got involved with Single Shot Rifles by collecting Ruger #1V rifles. I have 7 of them and most have never been shot! Just a nice collection.
I decided I wanted to get into BPCR. Two years ago I bought a Pedersoli Sharps "Benchrest" model for $950..It was used but looked brand new. It is an amazingly accurate rifle.
I then went crazy buying SS rifles. Love them all!
Then I had a chance to buy a Uberti 1885 in 38-55 for $800 and fell in love with the 38-55. This rifle is stupid accurate with just about anything I load..Black or Smokeless.
But easily the best bang for the buck, is the various lever action rifles I bought for a couple hundred dollars in 30-30 and 32 Special and then sent out to JES Reboring and had the barrel bored and cut rifled to 38-55. I have four of them and they are all as accurate as I can hold them! Not one of them runs me more than $600 total....
Be careful, once you get the "fever" for these single shot rifles all reason goes out the window!
You can check out my collection here:

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Nice! What cartridge is that long barreled 1892 chambered in? Every time I find one the seller wants full value and the bore is rotted (must have been shooting those "never were loaded with BP" 25-20WCF cartridges I've read about in another thread.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #44 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:10pm:
Nice! What cartridge is that long barreled 1892 chambered in? Every time I find one the seller wants full value and the bore is rotted (must have been shooting those "never were loaded with BP" 25-20WCF cartridges I've read about in another thread.

What 1892 are you referring to? Marlin had an 1894 that was in pistol cartridges, and I looked at a lot of them before finally finding one in .25-20 WCF that had a shootable bore. It seemed to me that most were corroded out, and I never did figure out why?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint