Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cost of rebarrel job (Read 17706 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Cost of rebarrel job
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:44am
Print Post  
UtahDave wrote on Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:40pm:
Chris, 

I checked out your web site, very impressive woodworking.  You should have no problem making a very fine stock.  Now to fine a nice barreled action.  

Dave

Thanks for the compliment.  I do love fine wood.

Chris
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:45am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:31am:
amen,  VERY impressive woodwork.     I strongly suspect you can do GREAT gunstock work if you turn you hand to it.

Thanks, but I think the last thing I'd want to tackle out of wood would be a rifle stock.  I've studied them and they are much more complicated than most people might imagine.  That's why so many stocks are made on duplicators.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 7:51am by Chris C »  

Chris
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:47am
Print Post  
So back to my original question about re-barreling................would it be less expensive to reline the barrel than to re-barrel?
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 7:50am by Chris C »  

Chris
IP Logged

Rigby
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:12am
Print Post  
The only thing I will say and it's said all the time is you get what you pay for. This goes from buying the barrel blank to the gunsmithing work. You want it to turn out nice don't cut corners. Also if your shooting matches I tell guys your equipment always has to be better than you are. 

We won't rebore and reline barrels. Will make liners for customers but won't rebore. 

Nice wood work by the way!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:47am:
So back to my original question about re-barreling................would it be less expensive to reline the barrel than to re-barrel?

You might save 10-20% unless you do the work yourself. One of the better-known/respected gunsmiths on this forum has stated that he prefers to put on a new barrel on "shooters" as the increases in prices for TJs liners have made the finished product end up being about the same cost as a new barrel. The only reason to line is to preserve a rifle whose original configuration has some meaning.

Rigby - assume Bartlein liners are also cut-rifled like the barrels? 
Can you give an idea of the cost for a 30" long 25cal liner with a 10" twist?

Chris - if you are looking for an "inexpensive" rifle to get into BPCR shooting you might want to find a good Trapdoor shooter. There are several threads over the past couple of months showing some fine looking 'sporterized' Trapdoors if and when you get to that point. Or, purchase a good, used H&R officer's model Trapdoor reproduction off Gunbroker or other websites for well under $1000. Shooting the 415gr & 480gr Saeco bullets in front of 55gr & 60gr of 2F Goex they are generally excellent rifles. At least as much 'history' in a Trapdoor as any of the other rifles we shoot.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:44am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions, but I dislike trapdoors immensely............nothing wrong with them, I'm sure.  Just personally don't care for the "look" of them.  I'm beginning to think I just need to give up and go back to my original search for an 1893 Marlin in .38-55.  They are expensive, but not quite as expensive as these single-shot rifles.

Chris
IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Too bad, we need more "young blood" in our groups.
If you change your mind Chris I'm sure we all would welcome you.
After hearing his tribulations it makes me wonder how I afforded to dabble into the game. 
Good luck Chris.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

Rigby
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 10:58am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:23am:
Chris C wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:47am:

You might save 10-20% unless you do the work yourself. One of the better-known/respected gunsmiths on this forum has stated that he prefers to put on a new barrel on "shooters" as the increases in prices for TJs liners have made the finished product end up being about the same cost as a new barrel. The only reason to line is to preserve a rifle whose original configuration has some meaning.

Rigby - assume Bartlein liners are also cut-rifled like the barrels? 
Can you give an idea of the cost for a 30" long 25cal liner with a 10" twist?

Chris - if you are looking for an "inexpensive" rifle to get into BPCR shooting you might want to find a good Trapdoor shooter. There are several threads over the past couple of months showing some fine looking 'sporterized' Trapdoors if and when you get to that point. Or, purchase a good, used H&R officer's model Trapdoor reproduction off Gunbroker or other websites for well under $1000. Shooting the 415gr & 480gr Saeco bullets in front of 55gr & 60gr of 2F Goex they are generally excellent rifles. At least as much 'history' in a Trapdoor as any of the other rifles we shoot.

We only do single point cut rifling. Normally the blanks start at $325. Sometimes there is a charge for a special contour etc....if the barrel goes over 28" finish length/29" blank then there is a $10 per inch extra charge up to 32"f/33" blank. We can go longer but pricing goes up as well. 

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
kcajeel wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 10:34am:
Too bad, we need more "young blood" in our groups.
If you change your mind Chris I'm sure we all would welcome you.
After hearing his tribulations it makes me wonder how I afforded to dabble into the game. 
Good luck Chris.

Don't know that I'd label my journey as "tribulations", but it obviously has been filled with the sticker shock reality that I'm in the wrong room.  Wish it weren't so because I sure do envy you guys your pretty play toys.

Chris
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Chris,
Another way to look at it is, your talking about 3 days work plus materials. What do you get for 3 eight hours days of work, plus a bunch of fancy wood and hardware?

If it's about the same, I would call it a deal.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
If you are looking to "less expensive", both Marlin and Winchester released several 38-55 lever guns over the past 20-30 years that are excellent pieces and cost around $1000. My modern Marlin 1895 in 38-56 is a terrific rifle and I wish I had more time to shoot it. If you get an original you can make it look every bit as beautiful as any of our single-shot rifles.

The modern Winchester Miroku High Wall 'Hunter' with a 28" full octagon barrel is also an excellent, accurate rifle for around $1100. While not "originals", that doesn't keep folks from doing very well with them in competition. Check out Jerry-H's Browning BPCR rifle in the classifieds. He shot "master" and set several records with it, which is as good as it gets.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I just wish I could find an 1893 in .38-55 with a 30" Octagon barrel for $1,000.  Closer to $2,000 in today's market.  But that's still less expensive than some of the low-end Hepburns I've seen.

Chris
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Chris, Hepburns have gotten quite pricey, tho they never were the cheapest. If you had a budget of $2000, you could get a very nice Roller. They're simple, durable, and parts are easy to get. The single set triggers that were available are very good. Other than DZ Arms, there's not much in the way of sources for Hepburn parts (not sure what parts, if any, C Sharps sells) and parts guns are impossible to find. Remington only made about 10k and with the new Hepburn book just out, Hepburn prices have only increased.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Well, about all I can say is I envy you boys your toys!  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I think the real issue here is "desire". My very first SS was a Excellent, 44 Stevens, that I bought in 1985 dollards for $300 but, I wanted to shoot in matches, after contacting the Brea, CA, ASSRA club, I found that the 44 wouldn't do it so, I bought a competitive rifle for $600, $300 for a 20X Leuplod scope and another $50 for a Ron Long Mold. I didn't even shop for bargins like I do now. 

The first $300 wasn't waisted, I still have that rifle and it's now worth 900 - $1000. I bought another HW that year and built a 45/70 RB, too. I made decent money that year but,my point is that I spent ALL the free money I had on the rifles because of my "desire" to own and shoot them. I didn't buy a car or stuff for the house and I had all the fun I could have asked for. And, I did get my reward of rewards by winning my first BR match that year at Brea. 

Just one mans experiance of getting my feet wet. It can be worth it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint