Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Newbie" question (Read 14709 times)
Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: "Newbie" question
Reply #30 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Chris,
Have you checked Red Castle' Schedule?  They are located near Tulsa.  I know they shoot BPCR Silhouette. Contact the Match director. He may allow visitors.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Kurt
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:56pm by Kurt_701 »  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Here are two more clubs:
OKC 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Stillwater
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They are shooting rimfire silhouette, which is a whole bunch cheaper on the ammo end of things, but pretty much the same rifles chambered for .22rimfire or BPCR rifles using .22LR inserts from Crossno or Shaver. Check out their club websites, as the OKC club also shoots BPCR silhouette on the 2nd Saturday. Matches are always open to non-competitors and most shooters are happy to talk about their rifles & shooting to folks who are interested in learning.

There are three well known single-shot gunsmiths located near/in OKC. Dave Crossno, Steve Baldwin (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and Dan Zimmerman in OKC near the airport. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
You can visit any of them and see some fine rifles/work. You would likely meet them at the matches as they all compete in both BPCR and .22rimfire silhouette.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2014 at 7:02am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Kurt_701 wrote on Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:42pm:
Chris,
Have you checked Red Castle' Schedule?  They are located near Tulsa.  I know they shoot BPCR Silhouette. Contact the Match director. He may allow visitors.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Kurt

That's the group that's 2 plus hours away from me.  But thanks for the link.

Chris
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:16am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Feb 15th, 2014 at 6:50am:
Here are two more clubs:
OKC 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Stillwater

They are shooting rimfire silhouette, which is a whole bunch cheaper on the ammo end of things, but pretty much the same rifles chambered for .22rimfire or BPCR rifles using .22LR inserts from Crossno or Shaver. Check out their club websites, as the OKC club also shoots BPCR silhouette on the 2nd Saturday. Matches are always open to non-competitors and most shooters are happy to talk about their rifles & shooting to folks who are interested in learning.

There are three well known single-shot gunsmiths located near/in OKC. Dave Crossno, Steve Baldwin (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and Dan Zimmerman in OKC near the airport. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
You can visit any of them and see some fine rifles/work. You would likely meet them at the matches as they all compete in both BPCR and .22rimfire silhouette.

Thanks for the links.  I knew they shoot silhouette up at the Oklahoma City Gun Club...........but won't start for another month or so.  I wasn't aware of the Stillwater club.  And in all my ramblings on the many forums I've been on concerning these beautiful rifles, someone mentioned some guys in Oklahoma were single-action gunsmiths, but I lost track of their names, so thanks for the links.  Might be fun to at least go visit them.  Thanks for the links.

Chris
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 11:33am
Print Post  
This will also be 2 hours away, but Wanenmacher's Gun Show is in Tulsa. When it comes to collectable guns and accessories, you should find it there. 

Kurt

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the link, Kurt.  I had no idea such a show was in Tulsa.  Maybe I can talk some buds into chippin' in on some gas and we can all go together.  The gun shows in OKC and Norman are getting to where all they are is "camo" shows. Sad

Chris
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention the Jim Davis Museum in Claremore OK.  It is worth a trip alone.
Kurt

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Kurt,

I've never been to the Davis Museum.  But I'm old enough to remember the Mason Hotel.............where it all started.  He was one hell of a collector.  There wasn't a flat spot on a wall  in that entire hotel that didn't have a firearm nailed to it!

Chris
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
As I remember the Davis Museum has quite a few single shot rifles and much more. Just consider many of those guns were given to him at the Hotel. The little Missouri town of Weston had Osborne  Tavern on the outskirts at Osborne Junction. The locals use to bring in old guns and give them to the owner. In the corners, in the open rafters, in shadow boxes in the booths, there were all kinds of rifles, shotguns, and pistols. There were 1st generation Colts etc... We use to make a couple of trips a year there, to drink a beer, and look at Winchesters covered in dust and soot. It is long gone now. There was a heck of an auction when it shut down.
Kurt   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #39 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
When my brother lived in Midwest City, prior to moving to Slaughterville, I think he belonged to a club called Tri City? I remember we went over there to shoot on one trip back to visit.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Indeed the Davis Museum is full of single-shot rifles. An excellent collection of Stevens Schuetzen rifles, amongst others. Some of the 400 year old guns in the collection are quite interesting. Matchlocks & wheelocks and such. Talk about a slow lock-time. Best small arms museum outside of Cody.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 15th, 2014 at 9:44pm:
When my brother lived in Midwest City, prior to moving to Slaughterville, I think he belonged to a club called Tri City? I remember we went over there to shoot on one trip back to visit.

Tri-City Gun Club is nice.  I've been trying to get in for the past 2 years.  Membership roster is full and the only way to get in is to wait for one of 'em to die!!!!!  Angry

Chris
IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Feb 15th, 2014 at 10:07pm:
Matchlocks & wheelocks and such. Talk about a slow lock-time.

Uhhhh, really? Now have you ever personally owned and fired a matchlock? Mine is not only significantly faster than a flintlock, I believe it to be as fast as, if not faster than a percussion arm.

The ignition ... for the uninitiated is absolutely INSTANTANEOUS!

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint