Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Newbie" question (Read 14670 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: "Newbie" question
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Chris, welcome to your new obsession Smiley.

I started out much like you did by entering the single shot world from an interest in lever action rifles.  Nowadays the few lever guns i still have get used once or twice a year while my single shots get used once or twice a week.  Soon I'll be selling another to make room in the safe for another single shot Smiley

There is a lot of great advice here and the .38-55 is a great cartridge in a single shot rifle.

By the way, I'd recommend giving black powder a try.  I was slow to try it and it's almost all I shoot these days.  I don't think anyone is likely to win a benchrest competition with it any time soon, but it's an enjoyable way to shoot these old rifles and the accuracy potential is far better than many think.   

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:02am
Print Post  
J.Francis wrote on Feb 14th, 2014 at 5:17am:
Chris,
     Check out the for sale section of this forum; Leon (AC Gould) has a beautiful hiwall schuetzen rifle for 1995.00. It's not a pristine collector's item but it does have a new bore, double set triggers a great offhand stock and all kinds of curb appeal. It might be just what you're looking for. Best of luck.

I wish you hadn't posted that.  I bought two DST 1885's late last year and my bank account is just recovering.  That looks like a really neat little rifle except that the cheek rest is on the wrong side Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Shooting by yourself.  If all I did was shoot by myself, I'd probably do very little shooting.  Shooting in single shot matches is fun and addictive.  Good deals on nice rifles, scopes, molds, equipment, and new friendships are to be found at matches. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Feb 13th, 2014 at 9:59pm:
I'm a newbie on the forum.  Been lurking for quite a while now and just signed up a couple of days ago.  Really great site and I can't believe how many really knowledgeable individuals there are “living” here.    

I come from a background in Marlin lever action rifles.  Recently got the “hots” for a Marlin 1893 in .38-55.  The group I'm a part of shoots lever actions at “dingers” up to 1000 yards away.  But something in the back of my mind keeps hollering “single-shot”. 

Welcome to the forum Chris! Any chance you're shooting those 1,000 yd. shots with my friend Wind? He's been doing some scary long offhand shots with Marlin repeaters for years!
I'm not a long range SS rifle shooter, but I wouldn't hesitate to try smokeless loads for that type of shooting, and there are many decent 1885 clones or originals out there that would serve you well!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Had to be away from the computer all morning and missed a lot of posts.  Just know that I appreciate all the helpful comments and suggestions.  I'm on a fixed and very low income (poverty level) and it's going to be hard to come up with the funds, but I really yearn to own a fine single-shot rifle.  I shoot by myself because I'm unable to afford the membership to shoot at either of the local ranges.  Otherwise I might be on the line regularly.  Oh, I forgot to mention, I live in central Oklahoma.

Yes, Marlinguy, it's Wind who sparked my interest in long-range dinger shooting............though I've never met him in person, we often exchange e-mails daily.  And I hope someday to make the trek from Oklahoma to Washington to meet him and shoot with him...........though it's somewhat doubtful I'll be able to.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 2:55pm by Chris C »  

Chris
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Chris

If you go 38/55 best look for a fast twist to use long bullets. My 38/55 was set up over 20 Years ago when 1/18 was the norm. It handles 300 grs fine probably would not stabilize 330 bullets. Most new guns are using 1/16 some even faster, but my advice is stay away from real fast twist. I would go for a 1/16 if new.

We did not mention the Japanese made Browning Winchesters.  Very nice rifles at less cost than the American Single Shot reproductions.   Texas Mac on this forum deals in them used generally has some on hand.  Others know a lot more about them than I do one model is the one to have another is  not. Best check them out first. These are more common in 45/70 than 38/55 I think.

Like some of the other guys I sell to buy. Don't think I paid anything for my CPA's, one had to sell almost a dozen guns to pay for though.  It's easy to get attached but if you don't use it better to get rid of it.

Except for my Marlin Levers that is.

Boats

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 3:02pm by boats »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
1-16" twist is pretty slow in today's world of 38cal barrels and heavy (long) bullets. Am shooting a GM 1-14"  and it works well with everything I shot in it up to a 1.423" length and 368gr bullet. Most folks I know who shoot a 38-55, 38-50 or 38-56 are shooting 1-14"  or faster and a couple have gone to 1-10" (Douglas). They are proving themselves to be accurate at longer distance out through mid-range (600yd) and no problem knocking over the rams. Am hoping that the powers-that-be will start rethinking their prohibition on 38s at 1000yd based on these new barrels/bullets.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Sheepishly I have admit I don't know enough about all this shootin' stuff to be into it deep enough to know about the twist rates.  I've a lot to learn.   

Thanks,

Signed The Sponge!  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Many people pick up a Rolling Block receiver and build a custom rifle for under $1,000 to get started.

I have seen people get started with a sporterized Swedish Rolling Block 8x58R for under $600. Just had to find some good tang sights to get going after finding some cases and an 8 mm bullet mould of 200 to 235 grains. 

The heavier the bullet the more kinetic energy it has and the less susceptible it is to wind conditions.
However heavier bullets are longer and require a tighter barrel twist to stabilize the bullet.

We use the Greenhill's formula to determine the twist for a specific bullet:

Here is an interactive link to the formula:

Most people stick to the .32 calibers for better recoil control for Schuetzen however most people go to the .40 or .45 calibers for Black Powder Cartridge shooting disciplines. A .38-55 may be good to start out in both disciplines but is a bit heavy for Schuetzen and too light for BPCR (from a competition perspective) however it would get you started.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 5:53pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
   Hey Chris -- If the 38-55 WCF is your pleasure, I have a hardly used Wickliffe falling block with a 30 inch tapered octagon barrel (Winchester taper) that I would considering selling at or near my cost.  It is NRA approved in their regs, if B.P silhouette is something you would want to try.  I've shot both silhouette and schuetzen with it.

Just a thought.  I do read my P.M.'s should you wish to communicate.

A picture is worth .   .   .

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 5:58pm by »  

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
OMG Creedmorematch, that's a beautiful rifle.  I won't even bother asking the price.  I make less in a year than some people make in a month, so I'm sure a rifle of that beauty is way beyond my range.  Heck, I probably couldn't afford to pay for the engraving!  Grin  But thanks for the thought.  Besides, I'm just testing the water right now.  Could be a year or two before I could afford even a "starter".

Chris
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Dave - That's a good Greenhill formula you just posted. It is the closest to my results of any I've tried, with the others being too conservative (that is, they want too tight a twist). Thanks.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
As I previously mentioned, I'm from central Oklahoma.  I just checked, and the closest ASSRA group is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my place.  I've checked with two of my friends who shoot at the local gun clubs and they don't know of any single-shot groups.  Do you fellows know of any?

Chris
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Might want to look at NRA Rule BPCS matches and set your rifle up as a all rounder.  I shoot about the same Offhand scores with my BPCS CPA as my Full Schuetzen CPA.  Make the rifle suit BPCS rules you can do both.

Suspect you will find a lot more shooting if you can enter either match.

Boats

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks, but as previously mentioned, I'm not at all interested in matches..........of any kind.  I just want to know the closest place I can go to see these rifles in person.

Chris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint