Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Electronic Hearing Protector Info/Opinions Wanted (Read 4479 times)
OLReliable

Electronic Hearing Protector Info/Opinions Wanted
Feb 13th, 2014 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Please recommend a good set of "ear muffs" that will block out the sharp report from smokeless round fired next to me, while allowing me to hear my spotter.
Thanks !!
Gary

OLR
wyyyyyyy iiiyyyyyy awwwttta ......

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Re: Electronic Hearing Protector Info/Opinions Wanted
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I don't know what to tell you. But I've tried a few pairs ($40 and $150) and ended up not using them. They work to block the loud sounds fine, but they 'shut off' on the loud noise and even if they take only a 1/2-second or less to turn back 'on' for normal conversations, albeit amplified ... I found I was losing half of what was said. 

Even more so when other close arms were going off. I just couldn't get used to them ... they became a source of distraction to me.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I can't get used to them either, not sure they give adequate protection. Double protection foam plugs with earmuffs over is my choice

My spotter and I communicate with a spotting board and hand signals. Nothing complicated finger on a push pin for a good strike, wiggle our hand if we are not real sure about the spot. Wave it off if the strike could not be seen at all.  If we need to actually talk about something lift up the ear muffs,  foam plug still gives some protection should a rifle go off.   

Having said all that I hate loud rifles, AR's and Muzzle brakes are best avoided. Not allowed on the line in our matches. Some times practice one sets up next to me I will move away or stop altogether. Guy had a 7mmMag with a muzzle break other day, there is a blaster for you, good thing is they never shoot long, or hit much.

Boats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
After a single round from a braked .308 Win two firing points to my right started my left ear ringing with permanent tinnitus in 2009, I don't go to the range without my electronic muffs. Never again will I "slip" one ear loose to hear what someone is saying.

I have used the Peltor Tactical 6S muffs for several years, and my only complaint is they wear out and quit working after a year or two (don't mean the batteries... those'll go dead in a day if you leave 'em on in your car.. which I keep doing...).   
The "recovery time" after a shot is MUCH faster than the 'el cheapo Midway brand electronic muffs I started with.. those were damn annoying!

I just got a pair of Peltor 3M TacticalPro muffs for christmas, and like them better. They're not as small a form-factor, so haven't proved out how they're going to work in all shooting situations yet, but they're comfortable, the electronics are good (great amplification for range commands from mumble-mouthed range officers, and fast recovery after the "cut off").

I very often have a plug in my right ear even when using the electronic muffs... I want to keep the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM hearing in my "good" ear now that my left has that constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in it.   Embarrassed

Peltor ALSO makes some other models that have built in radio's, or wired communication "ports" so that a shooter and spotter can communicate that way, while providing the maximum protection for your ears.  I don't know much about those models, as I don't have need for them at the moment.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend electronic "muffs" because they minimize the amount of time shooters have to spend yelling at each other to hear, and the amount of time behind the line when people just won't wear hearing protection just for that reason; they can't hear conversation.

Paul F.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
This, I think, is the model I have now;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

These are my chosen earplugs now (highest NRR of any plugs I have found anywhere, at any price);

Do tend to work their way out of my ear a little... I need to try the other size. 

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
I use the EAR classic 33 foam, put them in before I get out of the car. Wear muffs over, double protection. Lifting my muff still protected by the foam plugs.Earplugstore is the place to buy, getem by the case.

Used once in the ear  they get recycled as open bolt indicators with a zip time wrapped around the foam

Fact of the matter is firing line is no place for conversation, some have not figured it out some never will.

Boats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Fact of the matter is firing line is no place for conversation, some have not figured it out some never will.

During a match, 100% agree.
During a "public day" at the range, 80% disagree (the other 20% is getting pegged by a shooter who is ONLY there to talk).   
When you're ON the line, yes, that's not a time/place for conversation - that for shooting. When you're back a ways socializing, it's fine. IMHO. And then you want to be able to HEAR so you're not YELLING. Again, IMHO.

I like the EAR classic 33's too... best disposables around.   
I just got tired of using disposables!

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
The Howard Leight muffs over a set of Radians molded plugs are an ideal solution. I've been going this route for many years for matches since there is likely nothing worse than 25-30 6PPC's with 21" bbls under a tin roof firing simultaneously.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
An 18" barreled, BRAKED, .338 Lapua is worse..
I don't know what the hell that guy was thinking... but he drove off nearly everyone else at the range.
(He was a nice guy and packed it in after just a few minutes, saying "I had NO IDEA it would be THAT loud!" ).
Of course, I haven't heard 25-30 6PPC's under a tin roof, so I could be wrong...  Cheesy

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Can't wear ear muffs can't get my head down on the cheek piece. I bought some ear plugs with a neck band that they raved about over on 6MM BR. They don't fit inside the ear they cover the opening and I like them allot. Best I have found to date and I have tried just about all of them. There is an offset in the neck band that gets it away from the stock and they are extremely comfortable. Don't recall the decibel rating or the name. If any one has an interest PM me I will try to locate the 6MM BR review. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Have used three different versions over the years, like Jlouis said some stocks you can't get close to with out moving the muff out of position, also if it is windy you will get wind noise. That said, I still prefer them to any others. There is another one that is made like an in the ear hearing aid that works great with black powder or non big ( loud ) bore guns near you.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2014 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Here is the link to the article. I bought the QB2

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2014 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Going in your ear will always be a individual fit choice, some work better than others. Same with muffs some work well with your stock some don't.  Peltor 'Shotgunner" has worked for me with about any stock, however it's noise rating is not real high, paired with foam plugs inside it's very effective.

Boats

IP Logged

THBailey
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I use Walker's Power Quads in the duck blind and at the range.  They work OK for me.  At the range I also use the foam ear plugs under the muffs and often cuss at whomever it was that first thought up the muzzle brake.

THBailey

"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."
Will Rogers

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Son-in-Law gave me a set of Walker Power Muffs for Xmas last year, and now I would not be without 'em.  Kinda odd to not hear the shot but hear all the echoes, but I'm used to it now.  As for conversation, if there's any shooting going on, I'd be so muffled up in my old setup that I'd never hear any of it anyway.   At nearly 70 it's a race to see whether I die first or go stone deaf first.   Deaf is winning.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint