Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 25 Krag (Read 2777 times)
J.Francis

25 Krag
Feb 7th, 2014 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I  just put a nice A.O.Neidner under-lever Hepburn rifle on lay-away;I should have it in about 7 or 8 weeks.My first question is, has anyone had any experience with one of these custom Hepburns? Besides eliminating the side lever and replacing it with an under lever, the rifle is fitted with double set triggers-I'm wondering if Neidner might have made these.My next question is would this rifle be legal in ASSRA matches if it was shooting cast bullets at 1400-1500 fps. I believe Neidner and Dr. Mann were working with this cartridge around 1904 or 1905. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: 25 Krag
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
It's a single shot. Lead bullets, no gas checks.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a very nice rifle Smiley

You should be able to use 257 Roberts loading data for cast bullets. The best 25 cal shooters are shooting plain base bullets (the only thing legal for our sport) at 1600+ fps, breech seated.

The only under lever for the Hepburn, that I know of was Walkers version. Could that rifle be a rebarreled Walker?

I KNOW that we would all love to see pictures of your rifle Smiley Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
They were working with the Krag in 25 caliber then. I have a CPA 25 Krag and collected a lot of references to the early development work.  Send me a PM with your EMail and I can pass some of them along along with loading tips. Short of it is "The Bullets Flight" by Mann has details, majority of the work was done with the UMC 117 gr Jacketed bullet or swaged Jacketed bullets, some reference to cast though.

Mine has always been used with Jacketed so have no advice to give on ASSRA 25 cal shooting. Friend of mine has a 25/35 CPA used with cast & we shoot the 25's together. He had a lot of trouble with results, used some of my jacketed bullets and got very good groups. Showed me the right bullet is the key to doing well. He had to push cast right fast to get groups & ended up going to Gas Checks.  His 25/35 also has a lot less case capacity than the 25 Krag more suitable for cast bullet shooting in my mind.

Like Frank I recomend using 257 Roberts data or some combination of 257 Roberts and 250/3000. Until I got my case necks right had preasure signs with modest loads, good thing I started with the 250/3000 data.

25 Krag was and still is a puzzle, and a lot of fun to work with.

Boats

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2014 at 4:31pm by boats »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a terrific rifle. Pic's would be great. Even if you upload some from an advert for it if you purchased it that way.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2014 at 4:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
...the rifle is fitted with double set triggers-I'm wondering if Neidner might have made these.

Interesting question.
Encountered a Hepburn at the Denver show some time back where a rectangular block that contained the double-set trigger assembly had been inset into the Hepburn trigger guard. It was a beautifully executed piece of work, but unfortunately the owner of the Hepburn had no info about who did it.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I found the rifle on Guns International by typing in target rifle in the search box; it comes up on the first page.The people in the gun library at this Cabelas were really helpful and a pleasure to do business with.This is the second Neidner rifle I've gotten from a Cabelas, the first was from a different store and was advertised as a low wall in 22 rimfire; it turned out to be chambered in 22 Baby Neidner but I didn't care because it came with a G&H detachable scope mount and a gold plated breech block and trigger for $995.00.I'll let you know how she shoots as soon as I get it- the snow should be gone by then.Thanks to all of you for your good advice and kind words-you're the best!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Really Interesting rifle, its still up on the GunsInternational.com site, search as described under Target rifles and scrolling down.  it's an under lever, but its not a Walker for sure----unless somebody really butchered a Walker.   (bunch of other nice SS rifles on that same page as well)
  The stock does not look at all like Tom Shelhammers normal 
work to me. 
While it is nice wood and well finished, the design looks like a really strange mixture of eras

I sure hope MP sees this and chimes in. 

I was in that store a couple weeks ago,  but did not go into the 
"gun library"

Its be OK for ASSRA with as Ledball says,  plain-based lead bullets. It's probably way over-capacity/velocity for lead bullets with that case. Unless you cast real really hard alloys.  To use as-is in ASSRA matches I'd be seriously considering reduced capacity cases and very carefully matching bullet design to bore and chamber
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2014 at 6:18pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint