Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard, re-barreled to #10 (Read 10078 times)
Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Ballard, re-barreled to #10
Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Left to me by my Father. With it I took 1st place in 11 of 15 Schuetzen matches held locally (only 100Y), with two 2nd places and two events I missed. On my best day, whilst 17-degrees out, my Dad (~85yo) was spotting for me at the time - more for his benefit than mine, as I was dead-on that day. Shot after shot went into the center ... I think he was happier than I was!

I sent these pictures and those of the s/ns to Paul @ CPA and he assessed it as an early one, s/n 95X, that if I recall correctly, he believed to be a #X [I forget!!!] that was re-barreled to the #10 barrel, s/n 338XX . Next to the forend, that I believe is original, is the 1st forend hole, with the new one 3/8" further out on the forend.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Believe it or not, I shoot it pretty good ... given that the cheekrest is on the WRONG side ... 

This crack always 'concerned us', but we've read where Ballards will have what appears to be surface cracks on the metal in places. However, when looked at from the edge of the action towards the rear, there is no depth to it.

Still, given a #1 action strength per Ken Waters, we never throttled it and he'd only let us shoot 255-grn 379s over 14.3-grns of 4759 out of it. My Dad probably shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru it.

I think he was shooting the #9 Union Hill in this picture, as the barrel looks slim:
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:16pm by Lefty38-55 »  

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ballard, re-barreled to #10
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
More pictures:

Any ideas what number Ballard it might have been? 

... may have to confer with Paul again. I do remember that offered to build me my 38-55 that I just built - for a song - in exchange for that front sight ... 

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
While I don't fully understand your text, it's a nice rifle. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a #9 with early hammer and #10 forestock.

Nice.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:23am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 9:06pm:
While I don't fully understand your text, it's a nice rifle.

I'm trying to pin down exactly what model number it may have been before the heavier barrel was added. Not sure what she started as, but it now appears to mimic that of a #10 (12-lbs), as it is too heavy in barrel and weight to be a #9 (~10-lbs).

By s/n (95X), the action was made in 1881-1882, per Bill West's book. And that is what confuses me. Where it is not engraved and wears simple, but nice, wood, I would have guessed she was an 8 that was converted. But West's book says #8s were made from 1884-1890.

Any ideas as to the s/n part of this? Also, where it was 'cobbled' together, what does this do to its value? Would anyone venture a guess? The bore is mint, the action tight, and she is in excellent condition overall.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Does the serial number of the breech block match the frame?  # 10's and # 8's had double sets. Sure Marlinguy will chime in soon. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:56am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:46am:
Does the serial number of the breech block match the frame?  # 10's and # 8's had double sets.

Yes, s/n's match, less the added barrel.

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:06am
Print Post  
[quote author=4C6566747933382D3535000 link=1391478559/0#0 date=1391478559]Left to me by my Father. With it I took 1st place in 11 of 15 Schuetzen matches held locally (only 100Y), with two 2nd places and two events I missed. On my best day, whilst 17-degrees out, my Dad (~85yo) was spotting for me at the time - more for his benefit than mine, as I was dead-on that day. Shot after shot went into the center ... I think he was happier than I was!

My Dad probably shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru it.

I think he was shooting the #9 Union Hill in this picture, as the barrel looks slim"

Thanks for sharing those photos of the gun and your dad.
Being able to spend time like that, both enjoying a shared interest and hobby, is worth more than any gun.
My dad's been gone since 1998, and I still miss his comradeship.

Funny how I didn't really appreciate him until I was married and out of the house.
Then he became my best friend.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 8:46am:
Does the serial number of the breech block match the frame?  # 10's and # 8's had double sets. Sure Marlinguy will chime in soon. 

Joe.

I'm with you Joe! Looks like a #9 to me also, with a barrel and forearm swap. 

Have you checked the back edge of the forearm adjacent to the receiver to see if the number matches the barrel number?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 11:55am
Print Post  
By just the serial #, I would think the frame was made before 1878-1879.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
After thinking this over some more, I'm inclined to change my guess of what it started as. Since the number is so low, it would pre date the #9 by quite a few years. But if the buttplate, stocks, and receiver all are matching numbers, then it might not fall into a factory model designation. The early pistol grip frames that were used on Ballards like the #7 Long Range would have been the same era, but they did not have the small swiss buttplate, and were all checkered stocks that I've seen. If this gun is matching throughout, except as noted on the barrel, then it would have been something special ordered, and built on the early #7 frame, but with special order swiss buttplate, and no checkering.
So it may not fall into a specific model number, but may be one of those rare guns that later became a standard #9 model, which occasionally happened when Marlin got enough requests for a certain style Ballard to make it a legitimate model.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
There is a midrange 4 1/2 floating around with a small Swiss plate. A very nice one. 

No rebate on the pictured rifle, hmm?   

Never say never about old Ballards. Think it's Dutchers book that shows Milton Farrow holding an unidentified model Ballard. 

The man to ask is Bob Carrow. 

Joe.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I'm leaning towards an early mid-range.  I have action #650 identical to this one and it is an early non-rebated.

JR

John Rigby

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments all! I'm inclined to think she's definitely a rifle cobbled together by a shooter, my reasoning - the non-matching s/n's and some build details - see below:

Action - S/n 95X, 1881 to 1882 per West's book.

Buttstock - English walnut, pistol grip, but non-checkered and ... wait for it ... uhhhh, glass-bedded to the action.

Buttplate - Hook type, offhand model, but brass with a marine bronze look, s/n 196XX.

Barrel - S/n 338XX, 30-1/2" long. 
-Octagonal section measures 1.140" at the action, 1.095" right before the transition to round
-Round section measures 1.060" at the transition with a non-visible (by eye) taper to 1.040" at the muzzle, with the counter-bored crown at the muzzle.

Forend - No s/n's seen, but it may be covered ... as it was glass-bedded to the barrel and the receiver, with a playing card thickness relief between action and wood. Does not appear to be English walnut.

Weight - Just a hair over 12-pounds, with the Pope-type palm rest installed.

So, with all that - a few more questions.

1) With the early s/n ... safe to shoot with reduced SR4759 loads? She digested 14.3-grns for years and loved it. But towards the end, my Dad hung this one up and just used his #9 Union Hill. He almost became fearful to shoot it - due to the combination of the low s/n and that crack/line on the action as shown above (which I've had looked at professionally, it doesn't have depth).

2) What would be a practical limit for black powdah loads? Or, should she be shot at all?

3) Being a "Franken Ballard", how would I ever get a value on this piece? I like to record everything I can about my toys, for estate or other purposes.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been great!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
"Yes, s/n's match, less the added barrel."

I thought you mentioned it all being matching earlier, except the barrel?
With this later info, it's pretty much a crapshoot to guess what frame model it originally started out as.

I wouldn't have any different feelings about loads for an early forged receiver, vs. a later forged receiver as far as loads. The metallurgy at Marlin and most other gun makers during the lifespan of the Ballard really wasn't different. The possible crack would be my determining factor, and I'd want it magnafluxed to determine if it really was a crack, or a forging striation line that many older guns had. If it is indeed a crack, then I'd probably retire it and not shoot it at all. Hate to see a nice old Ballard let go and hurt the shooter, or the gun.
Values depend on if that's a crack or not, so tough to guess until you know for sure. If it's a crack, then the value is the sum of all usable parts.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:28pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:20pm:
"Yes, s/n's match, less the added barrel." 

... I thought you mentioned it all being matching earlier, except the barrel?

My bad, I did not realize buttplates are serialized on Ballards. A local marine machine shop examined the crack before, but I think it's tine for a pro report. Thank you for your help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint