Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) NRA Certified RSO program (Read 5227 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Certified RSO program
Feb 2nd, 2014 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Anybody taken the course ?   One offered near me soon. I have IDPA RSO officer certification required by one club I belong to.   Other club were I am MD for the Silhouette program HP and SB does not require formal certification.

Question is it worth the 125 bucks and is the re-cert program expensive or difficult.   Looking at the fees on line some of the programs are real expensive.  Rifle instructor 400 bucks.  Certified Rifle instructor I know knows little about rifle shooting, makes me wonder

Boats

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Re: NRA Certified RSO program
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Did it 10+ years ago. My home club (in FL) paid for the class, then I was obligated to pull range RSO Duty from time to time. It was no big deal. Now, my local club puts on the course. Students pay their own way - then are expected to pull RSO duty and can use the range without supervision by someone else. At this range (A.R.P.C., AVL, NC) no one is allowed to shoot unless there is a certified RSO on duty. As far as I know, there is no substantial re-certification fee. I may have had to pay a small charge for an updated "card", but it was small enough that I've forgotten. I've found that the certification is a good introduction point if I go to shoot at a range where I'm not known to management. I have no regrets and am glad I did it when I did.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 9:31am
Print Post  
this is one area I hate to see the direction things went. it used to be that the training was kept at minimal expense. instructors did it to try to encourage new people to the shooting sports and get them headed in a safe direction. Now it is a cottage industry (esp. Because of conceal carry) and the training sometimes suffers and the expense is income not love of the game.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I have wondered just how much the NRA RSO course is applicable to guys shooting mostly ASSRA matches.   

The local club I belong to has a card-controlled-access security-fenced range with recording security cameras. ALL club members who want to use the gun ranges (it is a multi sport conservation club with fishing camping archer etcetc) are required to take a one-day NRA+Club safety course to obtain an digital access card.  Sign-in at the club house is required with guests if any listed by name and address, and a total of shots (and cartridge) fired listed (something to do with the lead accountability).

Few of our local ranges--probably half a dozen total within an hours drive have on-site RSOs other than during events.  About half are open public access ranges with a log in sheet and a suggested donation box.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
IF a club receives NRA grants, or State grants for a range, the club is required to be open to the public so many hours per week, and have NRA trained RSO on duty when open.
Most states anyway.

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I got my RSO training through the Mich DNR so I can't comment on cost. Program was worthwhile as it covered setting up rules and policies regarding shooting and safety. Renewal is very minor fees, less than a few bucks per year.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Will probably do it, can't hurt, was going to offer 50/50 pay for some of our match shooters out of match funds but at 125 bucks it would add up fast, I guess they pay the instructor some of the fees, word I got was it takes 6 to make a class. 

Give you a critique after

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Our club is required to be open to the public on weekends as a condition of our operating permit.  We have RSOs on duty, but they are only certified by our club's executive board.  The RSOs are not NRA certified.   

I am very worried about what will happen if we have an accident or some incident that winds up in court.  Someone will get tossed to the leftist lawyers and I am afraid it will be the Range Officers on duty at the time.

Seems to me, if you are going to be a Range Safety Officer, it is very much in your personal best interest to have the NRA certification.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:17am
Print Post  
That's one thing that's pushing me toward it.  Get in court you may stand up better. Other side of that coin is certified you may be expected to meet a higher standard. When I was Coast Guard Licensed even running my own pleasure boat standards of operation were higher. Example NO alcohol instead of point something for non licesened operators.

Fact of the matter is get in court you are screwed anyway.

Boats

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
I have taken the class, it cost me $85 last year.
(actually set up the class for my local club, we now have 30 RSOs on board).
IMO it is a good thing to have from a legal standpoint and also a safety standpoint.
The way that I see it... a gun club can never have an accident because there are too many people watching and waiting to shut us down.
So anything that we can do to keep us safe will also keep us shooting.

The problem that I have is that the NRA does not set prices for their courses so the "instructor" can charge whatever he can get.
They should be pushing classes for the advancement and safety of the shooting sports, not for the padding of bank accounts.

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I suspect Roll Eyes that the increased demand for CCW and personal protection permit training has resulted in a general escalation in most firearms training/certification classes.  Costs here in MI have nearly tripled since the first MI "shall-issue" CCW permits went into effect.  I think that "trainers" and sponsoring clubs not look at it as an income source rather than a public service.

All that said, IF I could manage to fit RSO training/certification into my work schedule, and it was available locally I'd take it.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:35am
Print Post  
"I am very worried about what will happen if we have an accident or some incident that winds up in court.  Someone will get tossed to the leftist lawyers and I am afraid it will be the Range Officers on duty at the time."

IF the mentioned above happens, any and ALL officers of the club is liable. They all will be subpenaed to court. If not bonded or insured through the club their personal property is at stake.
It is very wise to protect with whatever it takes to do so.

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
One of the good thing I learned is to have a good set of rules, an emergency plan and a contact list in case anything happens. They all have to be posted where people can see them too and most of all actively enforced and updated from time to time. 

Ed

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
IF a club receives NRA grants, or State grants for a range, the club is required to be open to the public so many hours per week, and have NRA trained RSO on duty when open.
Most states anyway.

Don't know about state grants, but there is no NRA requirement for NRA trained RSOs with their grants.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint