Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 .25 RF (Read 13814 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Stevens 44 .25 RF
Jan 30th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
My most recent acquisition. Stevens 44 .25 in very good condition.  Bore is very good, shinny with sharp rifling's.  Wood is original with normal handling marks.  Some case remains on receiver, very good on butt plate. Barrel still has 75 - 80 % blue.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Re: Stevens 44 .25 RF
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2014 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Nice clean rifle
Congrats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Wished ammo was available. Nice rifle.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:21am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:08pm:
Wished ammo was available. Nice rifle.

Joe.

Ditto! After all the requests and begging .25 RF owners have done over the years, and still nobody has made this ammo again! There have been runs of other oddball .32 and .22 RF ammo remade, even though they aren't any more popular, yet still no .25RF ammo runs.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
You can make 22 Maynard EXL CF cases from Hornet brass, so you should be able to make 25 Stevens equivalent cases from it. Get a replacement centerfire block made, and start working up your equivalent loads carefully.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
The Single Shot Exchange still has back issues of the June 2010 printing that has my article on making 25 Steven RF cases primed with empty .22 RF cases, 65 gn. bullets, and appropriate powder charges. Works just fine, and the cases are probably "everlasting". Fun, too.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Nice 44. I have several .25 Stevens and a good supply of Cannuck ammo from the '70's? that I bought back when $1 a round was the going rate. Still expensive to shoot. I am still convinced that someone could make a good profit making and selling it. Problem is now you can't find .22 Long Rifle in a store anywhere so .25 Stevens seems unlikely.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I agree.  We all are wondering why no .25 RF, hell, you can't even find a .22 round anymore, thanks to Mr. Big Ears. Angry

Don G

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 9:26am
Print Post  
If you care to plow through it, there's this long-running thread on making the .25 and .32 rimfires work again, over on the Gunloads forum:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Among the chaff are some interesting ideas.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
uscra112,

Interesting info from that link. Thanks for posting it.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2014 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Also Take a look at 'Cast Boolits", "Shooters Forums" and "Ammoguide Interactive" forums under "Stevens Favorite" or  ".25 Stevens" or "Lengthened .25ACP" as there is more information on alternatives and reloading Rimfire cases.

By the way, a .22 Powder Tool Load in Grade 2 or Grade 3 in a machined adapter (to fit the .25 Stevens Chamber) and loaded with a 50-51 grain Cast Lead Bullet will give around 700fps to 1050fps out of a 22" inch barrel.  (Carolina Cast Bullets lists the .25 "Ranch Dog" bullets for sale.)
And, the Stevens firing pin seems to work to fire the .22 blank, Wedge tip not the Ball tip.
Best Regards,
Chev. William
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014 at 9:33pm by Chev. William »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Any one here try the .27 Nail gun rounds? Picked up a box today. #3. They chamber perfectly in my .25 Stevens 44. Did not see if it would fire yet. I was in the garage and wife was in the house and would not like gunfire coming from the garage. Will fire one tomorrow when the wife is at work. I understand some people have breach loaded and used these as a propellant. Not sure about power levels. I think they go from 1 to 7. Recall seeing somewhere that someone used them. Seems to me that since tooling exists for the .27 Nail gun round and they fit the chamber, it would not take much to make .25 Stevens cases with that tooling.

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:58am
Print Post  
The actual standard range of Powder Tool Loads (PTL) range from Grade 1, the weakest, to grade 12, the strongest.
Grades 2 through 6 seem to be the only ones available for sale to the General public with grades 5 and 6 found only in a few Industrial Suppliers.

Grade 2 seem to have around 1.8 grains of fast burning powder.
Grade 3 seem to have around 2.0 grains of fast burning powder.
Grade 4 seem to have around 2.3 grains of fast burning powder.

Note that the .22, .25, and .27 Caliber blanks seem to be loaded to the same strengths according to their Grade, just the range of available grades changes.

.22 Blanks seem to be around .224" body diameter.
.25 blanks seem to be around .248" body diameter.
.27 blanks seem to be around .269" body diameter.

The .25 Stevens RF had around .276" body diameter.

Others have tested the Blanks in .32 Adapters with good results, as reported in the mentioned Threads on the various Forums.

Be knowledgeable and be Safe.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I've been experimenting with the .27 caliber Ramset No. 3 blanks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They aren't an exact fit in the chamber of a .25 Stevens, though they are close and will fire.  The occasional puff of gas escapes the breech, although the shells do not split in my rifle.  The extractor does not always grip the rims sufficiently to pull the fired shells out, so a cleaning rod is needed during a session.

Experiments will continue to get the safety margin up and the inconveniences down as time permits.

I can't find any .27 calibers of lower power than No. 3 locally.  The maximum power Ramset advertises on their box is No. 5.  I would like to try the 2s and 1s and so far am not sanguine about going to the No. 4s.

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I share your problems with finding a full range of PTL Grades even across the Calibers.  To date I have not found ANY retail source for Grade 1 in any Caliber. and i also have not seen Grade 2 in .27 Caliber.
The other end, I have not seen any retail loads over Grade 6 since the early 1970s, and I used to be able to get Grade 7 in .22 Cal from a supplier that has since gone out of business.  The Grade 7s worked well in my Ruger Standard Auto with a 'blank firing adapter' attached to the muzzle.
Grade 2s seem to be available in .22 generally; Also found in .25 in metal disks of ten shots each; not in .27 that I have located.

There seem to be three general types labeled:"Duo-Fast', "Hillil", and "Ramset".  the Duo-Fast I have seen are .22 Cal. individual rounds.  The Ramset I have seen are .25 Cal ten shot disks or 10 shot plastic strips and .27 Cal ten shot plastic strips.  The plastic strips types are labeled as interchangeable with Hillil boosters of the same caliber

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint