Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 question on extractor ??? (Read 6039 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 question on extractor ???
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Wayne,

Yes I understand it will need to be fitted. But I'm lining this bore anyways and cutting a new chamber and extractor slot so it will all work nicely together.

I took the ol' gal to the range today. I pulled a bullet from a 22RF and easily pushed it through the bore with near no resistance. And I couldn't hit a target 50' away! I shot my first 5 foot group today!

The chamber is so corroded that it was difficult getting the spent cases out of the rifle even using a pocket knife. The extractor just glided by the rim. And I had to use a cleaning rod to poke the case out from the muzzle.

The action works great and the trigger is excellent. This will make a fine rifle when I'm done.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 1:30pm:
But possibly my rifle, being a later model, does not have the problem of earlier models.  I'm certainly no expert on the Stevens 44, but extraction and reloading my rifle is simple and easy.
Wayne

Yours might as well be brand new, so everything about it is tighter than those that have come my way; maybe that's the difference.  I've never been lucky enough to have one in that condition.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 3:41pm:

Yours might as well be brand new, so everything about it is tighter than those that have come my way; maybe that's the difference.  I've never been lucky enough to have one in that condition.

Redsetter,

Apparently I did get lucky and found the right seller and rifle, since I had very little knowledge and no experience with the Stevens 44 at the time.  What attracted me was the very fine appearance of the rifle and it came with a nice 10X Fecker scope, the same one that I use on my BPCR silhouette rifles.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint