Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 question on extractor ??? (Read 6034 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Stevens 44 question on extractor ???
Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I picked up a nice Stevens 44 in 22RF from a fellow on this site. Took it all apart and the pieces spent over an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of 100+ years of crud!

It's all back together and functions great. The barrel needs to be relined and I'll get to that next week.

The extractor is a mess. Someone dry fired the ol gal a bunch and you can see a nice peen where the firing pin was hitting the top of the extractor. I'll TIG weld it up and recut it.

My question is, after you open the action and eject a case, should the extractor fall back down against the barrel or does it stay away from the barrel and slips under the rim when you close the action?

The only way I can get it to function is to open the action, eject the spent case, close the action part-way so the extractor falls back against the barrel, load a new cartridge.

If I don't do this the extractor gets caught between the rim and the breech block and crushes the rim of the case. Surprisingly, the cartridge still fires. But of course, it doesn't eject because the extractor is not under the rim.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 question on extractor ???
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
No it does not fall back against the brl.  You've just got to make sure as you chamber a round to get the rim outside the extractor, & push both forward together.  But as you discovered, it's not hard to get the rim inside the extractor; I've chambered thousands of rounds in various Stevens & still do it occasionally.

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you have the wrong extractor. When you had it apart was there calibre markings on the extractor? All 3 of mine do. Also, My .22 and .25 RF extractors have those peen marks at the bottom of the rim recess of the extractor not the top.

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
No marking on the extractor.

I'll take some pictures and post in a bit.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:19pm
Print Post  

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Roy,

When my Stevens 44 action is fully open the extractor is firmly in the back (full extract) position and cannot be pushed forward.  I just slide in a 22LR cartridge until the rim hits the extractor (see 1st photo), then close the action.  As the block closes (see 2nd photo), the extractor quickly moves forward and the block pushes the cartridge into the chamber with the extractor.  You can see a small reflection off the edge of the extractor, which has moved forward about 1/2 way to the breech as the block contacts the rear of the cartridge.

Wayne

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2014 at 1:33am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Some more photos.

Wayne

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2014 at 12:05am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I have had similar problems. Worn extractor makes it a lot worse. One solution that seems to work with some guns is to close the action before reloading to get the extractor back to the face of the barrel and open the action far enough to load without pulling the extractor away from the barrel.

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Thanks folks! You have been great help. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't anything wrong with the action.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Rather than welding this extractor up and recutting it, I found I could order a new one from Wisner for $33.

I ordered one up

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 9:05am
Print Post  
On some 44 Stevens with worn or the wrong extractor, the extractor travels too far to the rear, sometimes you can put a spot of weld on the backside " facing the block"of the extractor.  The extractor only needs to travel to the rear far enough where you can get a finger-nail on the empty case.  Ledball

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Good idea! Maybe a set screw would make it adjustable?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Roy,

Are you aware that the Stevens 44 replacement extractor from Wisners will require some hand-fitting to fit your rifles action and extractor slot, and the rim seat cut.  See the following thread: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Since you have TIG welding experience I’d think the 1st approach you mentioned would be easier.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2014 at 1:16pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 9:05am:
On some 44 Stevens with worn or the wrong extractor, the extractor travels too far to the rear, sometimes you can put a spot of weld on the backside " facing the block"of the extractor.  The extractor only needs to travel to the rear far enough where you can get a finger-nail on the empty case.  Ledball

Seems to be more or less true of all 44s, not only those with worn extractors; 44-1/2 is better designed--the block stops the extractor from moving too far back.  Have a Favorite with badly worn 7 o'clock extractor that requires me to start closing the block while simultaneously chambering the round.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2014 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 12:53pm:
ledball wrote on Jan 25th, 2014 at 9:05am:

Seems to be more or less true of all 44s, not only those with worn extractors; ...

I guess either I'm dense or unclear about the problem.  I can understand the cartridge rim sliding by a worn extractor when being inserted, but with a properly fitted extractor the cartridge rim stops when it hits the extractor rim seat as displayed in my earlier photos.  But possibly my rifle, being a later model, does not have the problem of earlier models.  I'm certainly no expert on the Stevens 44, but extraction and reloading my rifle is simple and easy.

Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint