Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps Borchardt #2 (Read 4244 times)
tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Sharps Borchardt #2
Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I picked this up at a local gun show last weekend. It is in 218 Bee and the checkering looks like it was done with a screwdriver. It has about 10 holes drilled in the barrel. I shot it yesterday with the 4 power scope and it was ok.  It may shoot good with a good scope on it. I am in the process of redoing the stock and maybe improve it a little. It has the strangest thing on the barrel tip. It looks like a muzzle brake but it is not cut through into the bore it is just for decoration???? Never saw anything like that before.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Re: Sharps Borchardt #2
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Can't see the muzzle in your photos.
Maybe the screw driver wielding wood worker was going to hacksaw the barrel shorter but gave up before he cut through ?????
Regardless of the workmanship, it's still a great action. 
I'd love to find a complete one someday.

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Forgive my ignorance...
Is the little rear "trigger" a safety or a set trigger?

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
It is a safety. I guess since the Borchardt did not have a hammer it needed a safety.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
What a way to treat a lovely old action.  Shame on Screwdriver-er!

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 3:06am
Print Post  
tbird1960 wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:02pm:
It is a safety. I guess since the Borchardt did not have a hammer it needed a safety.

Sharps Rifle Co used the safety as a selling feature because it was so difficult to accidentally knock it into the 'fire' position. 

That's a nice basic military action that seems to be little damaged apart from the modification to the trigger guard. I presume it was done by a previous owner as any descent gunsmith would have blended the extension into the same contours as the front part instead of leaving it looking rather odd. What was your original intention when you bought it? Some really beautiful rifles have been built on this action, it really depends on what you want to do to it and how much you want to spend. The sky's the limit then. Do enjoy it though the action is a classic and yours appears to be in good condition. Smiley

Harry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint