Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Not exactly single-shot rifle... (Read 2406 times)
Aonghas
Ex Member

Not exactly single-shot rifle...
Jan 16th, 2014 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Yesterday I acquired a pretty little pinfire in not very pretty condition.

There will be a report on progress...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Not exactly single-shot rifle...
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
This is going to be an interesting project.
I'm going to pay close attention on how you go about making the ammunition.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:02pm:
This is going to be an interesting project.
I'm going to pay close attention on how you go about making the ammunition.

Hello BP,

Pinfire ammunition in some calibres is still available in Europe and even primed brass I have seen offered for sale. Reloading such ammo is not that difficult if you pull back pin in the cartridge enough to replace it with a percussion cap or primer. Slightly dangerous I would admit when pushing the pin back in to very close proximity to the primer, but that can be got around by making a jig that will allow you only to push the pin in so far. I would admit however they aren't the easiest rounds to reload.  Roll Eyes But where's there a will, there's a way.

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Hello Harry,

Hope all is going well, and thank you for the info. 
Your mention that some pinfire ammunition and primed brass is available on your side of the pond demonstrates that there are still a number of benefits to residing "over there".   Wink

I think Aonghas has a neat project.

For myself, investigating tangentially related areas seems to help me understand the core a lot better…  sometimes.   Grin

I'll be the first to admit that if I were required to take an entirely practical approach toward this hobby, I wouldn't learn as much (mistakes included), and it just wouldn't be nearly as fun.   Smiley

Cheers.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
reloading pinfire shotshells:
First thing you have to do is to make up a die set for a vise or arbor press to swage down the rims of the (I'm talking about plastic) shotshells.   Once they will fit the gun, you are ready to start.   Two ways of adapting them to pinfire.   One is to drill just ahead of the rim at a little forward angle with a drill that will fit a 4d finishing nail.   Thru the battery cup, and a little into the base-wad.   Then drill thru the basewad from the front of the case to make a cavity to take a percussion cap, sideways.   Push in the finishing nail, trimmed at each end to a proper length, and you are then ready to reload in the conventional way.   Not all 4d finishing nails are created equal.   I found some blued and tempered ones that are SUPERIOR.

Another way is to remove the battery cup primer and make another out of solid brass.   Mill a recess in the side of it to take a small pistol primer with the anvil popped out, and drill into the area for the pin. Probably a pious idea to file a little flash channel to the front.  I have seen this done, and intend to try it next time I make up some pinfire shells.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint