Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Experienced Shooters With .32 RKS and 32-40! (Read 9247 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Experienced Shooters With .32 RKS and 32-40!
Jan 16th, 2014 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I am going to build a schuetzen rifle on a Borchardt action which will be primarily for the bench.  I have narrowed it down to .32 RKS or traditional .32-40 of which I have dies for.  
I have done some searches here on this site and in the old SSRJournals but still have questions.
Do you shooters of the shorter cases see an advantage over the .32-40?  What pitfalls may I have with either case?
Do certain twists and bullet choices work better with the shorter case?
Will either case load easily in a Borchardt when breech seated?
What could you add that would possibly change my choice?  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go with this.  Thanks.  Bob

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Experienced Shooters With .32 RKS and 32-40!
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
After drooling over the heavy Hepburn bench rifles in Tom Rowes new book, will recommend you do a twenty pound 38-55.

Sorry, can't recommend any thirty twos at this time. 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:33pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Dave
Concerning rifling twist, if you could expand on your response I think it would be worthwhile to Old Win's questions. Are you getting better accuracy from 11.5:1 twist over the RKS gain twist with 11.5 at the muzzle? I am thinking of re-barreling one of my rifles with one of Ron's gain twist barrels.
Thanks

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
One thing you you will need to be aware of with the Borchardt is that with the breech block all the way down, your case will go past the extrator, I'm not sure but, I think the 32/40 will also go past it. 

with my 33 max, I have to make sure I remember to raise the BB a little each time I insert the case or my type of breech seater.

I'm with Dave on the sinativity of the 32 Miller.

I shoot one case and I'm able to shoot 13 gr of #9 w/o a wad by laying the loaded case on top of the BB and raising it up to the chamber. It also solves the rim going past the extractor problem.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I have a CPA in .32-20 CPA, a Miller is .32 RKS, and two other rifles in .32-40.

The most accurate rifle is the .32-20 CPA but loading is a pain in the rear and case life is short.  It's not much fun to shoot.

I've never noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy between the .32 RKS Miller and the two other .32-40 rifles.  The .32- RKS requires a wad of some sort to prevent powder from spilling and has some case life issues as well.

The .32-40 case is easy to use and lasts (almost) forever.

So, unless your at the top of your game, dedicated to winning matches, and willing to tend to the care and feeding of the smaller cases, go for .32-40 and enjoy the shooting.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Some more information from Schuetzendave about the 32RKS
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Frank:

My Borchardt in .32-40 requires me to also raise the breechblock slightly to have the case rim engage the extractor.  I keep a dental pick handy to pull the shell if I forget and seat the case in front of the extractor.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
32-40 is by far more user friendly and I have found it to be more consistent day in and day out and easier to keep in tune compared to the shorter cases. I have never felt that I was taking a back seat to the shorter cases and the top shooters using them and have managed to stay ahead of them during the past 14 years of competitive benchrest shooting. I had a 32 Miller short and a 33RKS Schuetzen the 357 Maximum Case left full length and blown out to 33 and niether one stayed around very long nor did they shoot as well as my 32-40. My twist rate is 15, Barrel a Douglas XX.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Pretty simple choice, Traditonal Schuetzen rifle use the 32/40.  Willing to live with something that looks modern use a short case wildcat.  Be a shame to mess up a Borchardt action making it into a modern rifle, personal opinion only.

Scores will depend on the shooter not the cartridge or rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:14am
Print Post  
There is a nice looking original Borchhardt in 45-90 available on the Arizona Sharpshooters website. Work out a deal and have Steve Rhoades (it is his website) line it to 32-40 and you've got your Schuetzen Borchhardt.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Both Frank and Jack have touched on two important points when using .357 based cartridges in rifles with high shoulders supporting the breech block. The first is getting the case into the chamber and the second is not slipping it past the extractor. With a little thought both are solvable problems. 
  The first rifle that I owned that took a small case was a Winchester that I had a chambered in 32 X .357 Dell, essentially that Miller Short. It shot well but was a pain to load. The case is so short that you couldn’t hold it and start it in the chamber. I had to lay it on top of the breechblock raise the block a little and then poke it in with a finger. It was a PITA and slowed down my load time. A similar architecture will make this true for the Borchardt also. 
  After some experimenting I went with a case that was the full length of the .357 Maximum case 1.600” long. Now I can hold the case and start it into the chamber on my Borchardt. The case inside is virtually a straight-sided chamber letting me place the wad anywhere along its length so essentially, internally, as the Miller short. The other issue is on the Borchardt you can slip a .357-based case past the extractor. This is overcome by after extracting the case raising the block just enough to snap the extractor back into its slot. It will stay there with out holding and you can load the next case. Do it enough and it will become habit and you will hardly know that you are doing it. 
  If I were going to choose a case again it would be a .32 Miller, Not the short, but the .357 Maximum on a straight taper case. It has all the advantages of the short case but you can hold it and load it in to the chamber.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I really appreciate the comments you guys have made. 
Talk about timing.  I received my latest journal and there was a great article by Ken Lewis.  He mentioned both the highwall and the Borchardt and how well he liked Borchardt actions for schuetzen. Course, he does have it rather nice while being able to work at BRC.  Smiley
Now more questions; I was hoping to avoid wads in the case by chosing a shorter case than the 32-40 but it appears that a wad is necessary in them because of their length??  
Several of you mentioned over time about the short cases (Miller short, 32-20) being very sensitive to powder charges.  I looked at the .32 RKS as being a good compromise.  Some still feel it may not be a good case for a beginner and should stay with the 32-40.
John, I read your article from 2010 on .357 based cases and you did write about one similar to the 32-30 Rem.  Is that what you're using now? 
I also looked back in the past posts and there was mention of having straight walled cases stick more in the chamber??
I did look at my action and see what you mean about the breechblock dropping below the case head and getting behind the extractor.  I've never had one get behind the extractor in my highwall.
Johnboy:  Thanks for the link.  Good reading!
Joe:  I don't want this so heavy that I'll need to take a mule along to pack it in.  Grin  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Every mule owner I know, loves mules.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Note that in my post that I do not use a wad at all. I've shot as much as 14 gr of 4227 in my case w/o spilling it, just by laying it on top of the BB. If you have some Max cases, charge them with what ever powder you want to use, then lay them flat on the table and I believe you will be supprised as to how much powder you can get into the full lenght Max case w/o it spilling out.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Old Win 
Knowing what I know now I would have gone with the 32 Miller. They are the same length and the differences are minimal. I would bet that you could hold them in your hand and not be able to tell the difference. The 32 Miller is a known case so finding a reamer or having one made should not be a problem. 
  As far as the wad goes, I don’t think that you can get any of the shorter cases in a Borchardt without dumping powder. If not using a wad is the deciding factor, go with the 32-40.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint