Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Morphy Auctions (Read 2791 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Morphy Auctions
Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Has anyone had any experience with this company?  I bid on a rifle and supposedly was the high bidder, but the web-site for three days says I "May have won".  Never have dealt with that before.  No communication of any kind since the auction closed. Angry

Don G

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Morphy Auctions
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Nope.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
  No communication of any kind since the auction closed. Angry
Don G

Don --  Typically it would be the high bid "winner" of an auction sale who would receive "follow up" communications requesting his/her payment in full.

What were you looking to receive, a "thanks for bibbing" note out of gratitude?

Why not phone them with your questions ?

C.M.M.

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 10:20am
Print Post  
smoke810 wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:16am:
Has anyone had any experience with this company?  I bid on a rifle and supposedly was the high bidder, but the web-site for three days says I "May have won".  Never have dealt with that before.  No communication of any kind since the auction closed. Angry

Don G

Don,
By saying:no communication of any kind, are you saying they have not contacted you, or that you have attempted communication with them, and received no answer ?????
I have never dealt with these people, so I am not sure what is going on; but the sale was only this past Saturday.
I can tell you that in dealing with other auctions that entertain absentee bids,I usually have to wait a few days for them to go through their records to get everything sorted out before they contact me of a successful bid.
If I wanted to know asap, I've always been able to call the auction house and talk with a secretary who can look up the lot number to see to see what's what.

Morphy seems to be somewhat of a new comer to gun auctions; but I can tell you, they have been doing a LOT of high end antique auctions over the last few years, and they wouldn't get good material if they were shady.
It's probably a case of data overload and they have to review all the transactions, and verify the info before they go ahead and contact people.
But as C.M.M. has advised, don't expect a "better luck next time, thanks for bidding" email.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Gave them a call. Everything is OK,  I am just used to the way gunbroker operates.  There when an auction is over, the winning bidder knows it instantly.  In this case bidders are on the floor and their bids are not shown on the web.  So even if you are the high bidder as an absentee, a floor bidder may out bid you.  In this case that is what happened.  Maybe better luck next time. Cry

Don G

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Sorry you got beat out; but at least you have your $$$ to fight another day.
These auction houses with internet bidding can be tough to buy from unless money's no object.
They charge a (larcenous)  buyer's premium, and then some even want 10% of your max bid as a down payment to boot.
Then throw in a crowd of salivating bidders who get the "fevah" and can't stand the thought of going home without whatever it is they can't live without, and you have a feeding frenzy.
Record prices are recorded and it soon becomes apparent how these auctioneers eke out their existence.
I'll wager their commissions are 20-30%
Morphy claims 80 lots/per hour. If those 80 items average $500 each, it adds up quick. Shocked

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
After looking at the prices realized,  it's unbelievable what was paid for virtually all the guns.

Buyers premium is an additional 20%  Shocked

Don G

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Don,
Amazing isn't it ??
Yet a similar gun offered at that price on G.B. by a well known dealer would never get a bid.
There is definitely some psychology at work .
I've seen the same thing at estate auctions: A .38-40 Whitney-Kennedy lever comes up that is in NRA antique good-very good condition, and sells for around $3200.
The same condition gun on an internet only auction goes for $1600.
All I can say is, it pays to shop around.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint