Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lighter Side of Bloop (Read 19130 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: The Lighter Side of Bloop
Reply #45 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
A screw on bloop tube on BSA Martini for switching to iron sights.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #46 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
So, if your bullet wobbles coming out of the muzzle, and it hits the target sideways but you still made some points, is that whats called a Billy Kilmer?  Huh

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 3:59am
Print Post  
[quote author=577C7E7655687A756E1D0 link=1389546247/45#45 date=1390078244][quote author=39302323280E34303D3422510 link=1389546247/43#43 date=1390075420][quote author=614443457467445E42582B0 link=1389546247/42#42 date=1390065162]

Hello Harry,

As John said, initial yaw is largely a function of bullet imbalance.  Within the barrel, a projectile is constrained to rotate about its "center of form".  Once the projectile leaves the barrel, it is free to rotate about its "center of mass".

If the center of mass does not lie exactly on the center of form, the projectile is unbalanced. An unbalanced projectile will diverge from the axis of the barrel at a "deviation angle" (yaw) that is a function of the radius of gyration (the distance between the center of form and the center of mass) and the twist rate of the barrel.

As an aside, an imperfect bore and/or an imperfect chamber can cause a perfectly balanced projectile to become unbalanced as the projectile moves through the bore. 

Given a perfect crown, this deviation angle is the largest contributor to initial yaw.  If the crown is less than perfect, it will cause uneven force on the base of the projectile as the projectile leaves the muzzle.  These uneven forces will also contribute to initial yaw.

Because of initial yaw, a projectile is strongly influenced by external forces (such as wind) as it leaves the muzzle. The effects you mention are in the class of external forces. These forces can seriously affect downrange performance and are not to be taken lightly.

Jack,

I take your points, but as I have said I also think that there are other factors at work. When ballistics first came to be studied, high speed aerodynamics wasn't understood nor the effects of transiting through the sound barrier in either direction and the shock waves that were set up or changed during flight. It is a factor that is often ignored or of which the shooter has no knowledge of the effects that can be caused.  Undecided

Harry

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 6:02pm:

I would call that a barrel extension. Nicely done. Has the advantage of short barrel, good with sub-sonic rim fires offhand. Only critique is balance would be quite different scope to iron. Offhand best if all hangs the same.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #49 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 7:56am:
Schuetzendave wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 6:02pm:

I would call that a barrel extension. Nicely done. Has the advantage of short barrel, good with sub-sonic rim fires offhand. Only critique is balance would be quite different scope to iron. Offhand best if all hangs the same.

Boats

I think it depends on the ID if it's a barrel extension, or bloop tube. At least that's the way I'd look at it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jan 19th, 2014 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Seems to me that Martini is the same size barrel to extension, from the photo that is.  Lot of air rifles are set up that way. My Walther 10 M gun is all tube with a short stub barrel inserted. Outside  has a muzzle weight that mounts the front sight. Don't think of it as a Bloop Tube

Idea is long lag time release of air to exit the barrel best if the pellet is only being spun a little distance, just enough to stabilize, rest of the time it's traveling through the tube not touching anything

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint