Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lighter Side of Bloop (Read 19104 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The Lighter Side of Bloop
Reply #30 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
'might' & 'some'. Words I always prefer, along with 'maybe', in my facts. Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I found if you think it works it probably will and if you think it won't it probably won't. I have seen some extraordinary benchrest targets shot both with and without the Bloop Tube. Take it off the fellows rifle that uses one and place it on the fellow that does not and both would have thoughts of lost performance and their results would flow suit. Much of what we do is simply a head game, one can think himself into shooting the target of a lifetime or think himself right out of that possibity.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:43pm:
"The "wind on the bullet" theory arises from the fact that a projectile is least stable at the instant it exists the crown."
Where did that "fact" come from? Shocked

I rely on the work of Ruprecht Nennstiel.

Regarding gyroscopic stability: As the spin rate decreases more slowly than the velocity, the gyroscopic stability factor sg, at least close to the muzzle, continuously increases. Thus, if a bullet is gyroscopically stable at the muzzle, it will be gyroscopically stable for the rest of its flight.

See the graph at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Regarding dynamic stability:  A bullet is said to be dynamically stable, if an angle of yaw, induced at the muzzle, is damped out with time, or in other words if the angle of yaw decreases as the bullet travels on. 

There is no corresponding graph for dynamic stability.

A projectile is least stable (both gyroscopically and dynamically) at the instant it leaves the crown.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #33 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I'm still not buying that a bullet is least stable as it exits the crown. Considering how a bullet begins to tumble at some point when it slows down enough to become unstable. I doubt whatever instability it might have at exit could compare to the instability as it begins to run out of steam downrange.
I think both points are unstable, but more so as it slows down.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #34 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:59am
Print Post  
When a bullet is fired and goes down range it goes through at least two and sometimes three moments of instability. The first is when it transitions from the barrel to the air. The second happens at the moment when the bullet passes through the sound barrier. The third is happens when, if you are shooting in that range, the bullet slows down enough to pass through the sound barrier again. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 9:29am
Print Post  
What quirk of physics allows the bullet to be still accelerating once the force of the expanding gasses is alleviated as the bullet exits the muzzle?  The bullet goes supersonic inside the bore.  So I think that can be ruled out as one of the moments of instability.

40_Rod wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 8:59am:
When a bullet is fired and goes down range it goes through at least two and sometimes three moments of instability. The first is when it transitions from the barrel to the air. The second happens at the moment when the bullet passes through the sound barrier. The third is happens when, if you are shooting in that range, the bullet slows down enough to pass through the sound barrier again. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 9:33am
Print Post  
So we all know the crown is critical, something off will throw the bullet off, nice crown has proven to correct problems.  Now we introduce something else into the equation. Tube around the muzzle, bullet leaves the well cut crown and subject to all sorts of potential problems with captured gas working on the bullet. Is the Bloop tube on straight, does it add vibration to the barrel ? Wind at muzzle you can handle by picking the condition and not shooting with adverse wind, traditional way to manage the variable.  Tube is a mechanical way to attempt to manage wind, may work may not work.

Seems to me bloop tube is a variable that can be ruled out by not using one.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #37 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
What quirk of physics allows the bullet to be still accelerating once the force of the expanding gasses is alleviated as the bullet exits the muzzle?  The bullet goes supersonic inside the bore.  So I think that can be ruled out as one of the moments of instability.

40 Rod

No quirk of physics, just simple thrust from the initial "explosion" in the case. Since it has not reached full speed in the length of the barrel (usually) it continues to attain the max velocity determined by the powder charge, and then starts to slow down as momentum falls off.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:24am:
Quote:

40 Rod

No quirk of physics, just simple thrust from the initial "explosion" in the case. Since it has not reached full speed in the length of the barrel (usually) it continues to attain the max velocity determined by the powder charge, and then starts to slow down as momentum falls off.

Force = Mass times acceleration.  Or, put another way,  Acceleration = Force divided by Mass.

While the projectile remains in the barrel and if combustion is not complete, a propelling Force is imparted to the projectile by the expanding gas.  Once the projectile leaves the barrel, the propelling force drops to zero and the projectile's forward Acceleration also drops to zero.

JackHughs

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...While the projectile remains in the barrel and if combustion is not complete, a propelling Force is imparted to the projectile by the expanding gas.  Once the projectile leaves the barrel, the propelling force drops to zero and the projectile's forward Acceleration also drops to zero.

Thinking that as the projectile is pushing a column of air out of the bore as the gases push the projectile toward the muzzle, and at the muzzle the projectile nose then encounters additional opposing air resistance while simultaneously the projectile base is still being pushed forward by the escaping gases, there would be a lot of wave interference generated in multiple directions and contained for a longer time period within the bloop tube to act upon the projectile.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Many years ago I saw a series of films taken at very high speed using a special camera which clearly showed that bullets emerging from the barrel did have a definite wobble during the first few feet of flight, where after the bullet stabilised into normal flight. The sound accompaniment said that the rounds were standard 30.06 military issue, so they would be emerging from the barrel at supersonic speed. 

What I believe causes the initial instability is the fact that the shock waves generated in the barrel as the bullet goes supersonic have nowhere to go and build up in front of the bullet, these are released as soon as the bullet passes the crown, but until they have dissipated and the shock wave becomes stable, its only then the bullets flight settles down. In my opinion these compressed shockwaves could be the cause of the initial instability.  Smiley

Harry

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Harry I would tend to think that it is the unbalanced bullet exiting the barrel that creates that brief moment of instability / wobble.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:12pm:
Harry I would tend to think that it is the unbalanced bullet exiting the barrel that creates that brief moment of instability / wobble.

JLouis

I have to ask Mr Louis why should the bullet be unstable when exiting the barrel if becomes stable in flight after a few yards? There has to be a reason for that, hence my hypothesis of supersonic shock waves being unable to form correctly whilst the bullet is in the barrel. It is a well known aerodynamic problem that led to many of the early jet aircraft becoming unstable or even breaking up due to compressibility as they approached Mach one.

Harry

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Suppose that some of the initial instability has anything to do with the uneven release of the grip on the bullet as well. I know crown angle is an argued variable, but bad crown is I think agreed by all to be an issue. That said I would think no crown is perfect... Just a thought.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote author=614443457467445E42582B0 link=1389546247/42#42 date=1390065162]

I have to ask Mr Louis why should the bullet be unstable when exiting the barrel if becomes stable in flight after a few yards? There has to be a reason for that, hence my hypothesis of supersonic shock waves being unable to form correctly whilst the bullet is in the barrel. It is a well known aerodynamic problem that led to many of the early jet aircraft becoming unstable or even breaking up due to compressibility as they approached Mach one.

Harry

Hello Harry,

As John said, initial yaw is largely a function of bullet imbalance.  Within the barrel, a projectile is constrained to rotate about its "center of form".  Once the projectile leaves the barrel, it is free to rotate about its "center of mass".

If the center of mass does not lie exactly on the center of form, the projectile is unbalanced. An unbalanced projectile will diverge from the axis of the barrel at a "deviation angle" (yaw) that is a function of the radius of gyration (the distance between the center of form and the center of mass) and the twist rate of the barrel.

As an aside, an imperfect bore and/or an imperfect chamber can cause a perfectly balanced projectile to become unbalanced as the projectile moves through the bore. 

Given a perfect crown, this deviation angle is the largest contributor to initial yaw.  If the crown is less than perfect, it will cause uneven force on the base of the projectile as the projectile leaves the muzzle.  These uneven forces will also contribute to initial yaw.

Because of initial yaw, a projectile is strongly influenced by external forces (such as wind) as it leaves the muzzle. The effects you mention are in the class of external forces. These forces can seriously affect downrange performance and are not to be taken lightly.  However, they are not the cause of initial yaw.

JackHughs  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint