Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Lighter Side of Bloop (Read 19106 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: The Lighter Side of Bloop
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Jan
You really need to take ugly lessons from Chuck Blender. That tube is way too nice. Chuck used to use an old piece of black iron gas pipe. 
  I also wish that Chuck would give stock making lessons. I’ll bet in the time I’ve known him he went through 200 lbs. of bondo. But the man could shoot.

40 Rod

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 11:07am
Print Post  
40rod, Sometimes, for special matches he would use a galvanized union on the end of that black pipe. He told me recently that it took him 40 years to get his buttstock just the way he wanted it and now he's too old to shoot. Ledball

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:11am:
Jan
You really need to take ugly lessons from Chuck Blender. That tube is way too nice. Chuck used to use an old piece of black iron gas pipe. 
  I also wish that Chuck would give stock making lessons. I’ll bet in the time I’ve known him he went through 200 lbs. of bondo. But the man could shoot.

40 Rod

Someone must have picture or two of Mr. Blender's creation.  I would love to see it.  Double bonus for a shot with the pipe union installed.

JackHughs   

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:28pm:
40_Rod wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 9:11am:
Jan

40 Rod

Someone must have picture or two of Mr. Blender's creation.  I would love to see it.  Double bonus for a shot with the pipe union installed.

JackHughs  

Might could be that it will earn residency in the ASSRA Hall of Fame?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 11:12am
Print Post  
We must not forget the Chuck's pine buttplate with the lag-bolts. Ledball

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Must have been 15 or so years ago, between relays I saw a rifle sitting on the rest around bench 23-24 somewhere in that area.

Looked as if the stock had maybe 20 or so pieces of various kinds of wood glued together for the butt, and pieces of pipe nipples screwed on the muzzle.
The butt looked as if it had been formed with a hatchet. I mean God awful ugly rifle.
Thought it was a joke.... Watched the shooter come back after posting targets, and at the start of the relay he started shooting it, all offhand BTW, Scored somewhere over 220.
I then realized it was No Joke....
That is when I heard who he was.  Chuck Blender.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:46am:
Not much good is going to happen to the bullet shooting through a tube.

Can't agree with that at all ... 

The best bloop tubes on the market today are made by a high power Nat Champion who started at my club and current 600 to 1000Y with match/unlimited rifles are being shot with bloopers.

If they didn't work - they sure wouldn't use them ...

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 13th, 2014 at 5:46am:
Best way to extend sight radius is a rail. Add weight with weights outside the barrel.  Not much good is going to happen to the bullet shooting through a tube.
Silhouette scoped no need for a sight extension and most get barrel weight to the rule limit from the barrel, that's why the tubes went away, passing fad.

In my opinion that is

Boats

Only problem with a rail is possibility of physical harm with a 20" barrel, and a 10"-12" rail sticking out past the muzzle. Even a small bump could make for problems. I prefer the bloop tube not just for strength, but asthetics. Mine on my .22 Roller is a permanent part of the barrel, and looks like a regular 30" barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2014 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I agree, I like the strength of the tube over the rail and it blocks the crap coming out of the barrel from hitting the front sight. Tubes are still also used in smallbore. JMO

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:01am
Print Post  
I guess I ought to qualify my opinion.  Given the 10lb 2 oz overall weight rule in Smallbore Silhouette & no front sight no good reason to add weight with a Bloop tube.

Higher weight allowed tubes may be a secure way to get a longer sight radius, compared to a rail. 6 inches of Rail is probably lighter than 6 inches of tube. Looked at a photo of one of Tubbs across the course rifles, it's has a rail extending the front sight.

Every problem has a number of possable solutions.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:43am
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 10:01pm:
The most commonly quoted reason for a bloop tube is to extend the sight radius.  However, a bloop tube also prevents the wind from affecting the bullet at the moment the bullet exits the crown. 

But, most of all, the bloop tube looks funny, makes a funny sound (bloop) and thereby distracts the competition.  It's hard to concentrate when you're laughing at the other guy's equipment.

JackHughs

At our NRA smallbore prone matches the top couple of shooters (who are very good and rarely shoot below 590/600) use bloop-tubes for sight extension. Several of our high power match-rifle shooters also use them for the same reason. Have never heard the second reason (wind on the bullet) mentioned prior to this thread.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #26 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:01am:

Every problem has a number of possable solutions.

Boats

And of course mine is best.  If you were only reasonable you would agree with me.

Smiley

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
[/quote]
At our NRA smallbore prone matches the top couple of shooters (who are very good and rarely shoot below 590/600) use bloop-tubes for sight extension. Several of our high power match-rifle shooters also use them for the same reason. Have never heard the second reason (wind on the bullet) mentioned prior to this thread.
[/quote]

The "wind on the bullet" theory arises from the fact that a projectile is least stable at the instant it exists the crown.  Accordingly, any wind at the crown will have a greater impact on the remainder of the projectile's flight.

Since a bloop tube will shield the projectile from the wind for 6 inches or so of travel, the wind at the crown will not have any effect on the projectile.  That's the theory, for what it's worth.

The other side of the coin it that the bloop tube does not allow the energy contained in the expanding gasses to dissipate away from the projectile.  Rather, those gasses remain contained within the tube and may actually disturb the projectile even more than the wind.

The only real evidence in favor of using a bloop tube to enhance accuracy is the fact that all competitive rimfire benchrest rifles use an end-barrel tuner.  All of these tuners are also, by virtue of their design, bloop tubes.

Again, using a bloop tube is one of those "your mileage may vary" choices.  The only way to tell for sure if a bloop tube is helpful is to try one.

Personally, my experience was a dismal failure.  However, I still have 9 1/2 feet of that plastic pipe left.  Who knows what exciting designs may yet unfold.

JackHughs     

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
"The "wind on the bullet" theory arises from the fact that a projectile is least stable at the instant it exists the crown."
Where did that "fact" come from? Shocked

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:43pm:
"The "wind on the bullet" theory arises from the fact that a projectile is least stable at the instant it exists the crown."
Where did that "fact" come from? Shocked

I think that might be true in some cartridges, with some calibers, at shorter ranges. Smiley
Once you get farther out there, a bullet really becomes unstable as is begins to slow down.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint