Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) UPS Problem (Read 8102 times)
halog
Ex Member

UPS Problem
Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Local depot said that I can only ship muzzleloaders to a commercial address! Happened yesterday. Talked to customer service, total confusion. Have shipped number of antique firearms including fine Ballards. Just declare contents and insure. There is nothing in UPS's policy page on muzzleloaders, it only talks federal regulations. I hate to start a crusade so early in the year but feel compelled to take issue to corporate hqtrs.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Re: UPS Problem
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Sounds like a company policy, in which case, I don't think you have much of an argument.

Options: FedEx or USPS

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
If you take your gun to a UPS package store they are likely to tell you they can't ship it. These are franchise stores and all have different criteria as far as shipping firearms some won’t some will on a limited basis. The best way to ship is to take it to a UPS distribution center. They will ship it, but in most cases they will want an FFL. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:46am
Print Post  
I had a UPS store refuse to ship a buttstock. The owner said it was HIS store policy to not ship gun parts. Needless to say I have never returned. My local post office is very cooperative.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

halog
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:52am
Print Post  
This was UPS depot. Plot thickens as I went on UPS page and quickly someone at UPS asked for completed details. Some customer service types have a real headspace problem. Am taking it to Corporate for clarification.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
Am taking it to Corporate for clarification.

Good luck in your crusade--possibly something good will come of it.  But the very best way to solve UPS problems is to take your business to the Post Office, which actually NEEDS your patronage--UPS does not, having achieved a near monopoly on commercial shipping.   

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:40am
Print Post  
USPS priority mail all the way.   No FEDUP for me

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Just say "No." Vote with your feet and your wallet by taking your business to Ben Franklin's store, the United States Postal Service.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I've had comparatively few problems with UPS...

The saving grace of the Post Office is that you can show them their own manual (the Domestic Mail Manual), and show them the exact section of THEIR OWN regulations that allow firearms to be shipped, and how.
You have no such recourse with UPS or FedEx.

I would also be escalating with Corporate/Customer Service - if for no other reason than to make whatever anti-gunner may have made that "policy" on a strictly local level sweat when corporate breathes down his neck for having an "unhappy" customer.

IP Logged

halog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Shipped Fed Express no problem. Am getting UPS Corp. Headquarters involved. They are totally confused! Will bust chops. Thanks guys.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
My wife owned & ran her own office supply store for 31 years before she sold it and retired.  For more than 25 years, she was a UPS contract agent.  She owned the whole operation.  UPS just gave her the forms & their scale and picked up packages once a day.   

When someone came in to ship a gun, she always sent them down the street to the Post Office.  She always told them "UPS may damage your gun.  UPS does not pay damage claims on guns and I do not want to get in the middle of a major damage claim hassle".

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Had some company send me a sample delivered by UPS to my address in Canada. No value item which I never requested and UPS tried to charge me $35 for brokerage fees to deliver across the border.

I refused acceptance of the package. UPS advised me they were going to have a debt collector pursue me for the brokerage fee. Told them to *!#&!!!!

Whenever I order anything I make sure the supplier understands that UPS parcels cannot be delivered to my address.

USPS deliveries do not charge excess additional user fees.

IP Logged

halog
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Today at UPS I have tried to deal with a hilarious but infuriating collection of morons! Might as well been working with a government agency. Will send cert. letter to CEO Thursday. Let it filter from top. My suggestion is to avoid UPS. Thanks for advice.

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Strange.  I've shipped any number of firearms UPS and never had the slightest hitch.  Must be some local yokel in your office.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
As Dave mentioned, UPS is the worst possible choice when shipping across the border.  I no longer buy from anywhere that uses them as the additional charges are often more than the value of the shipped item. 

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint