Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lyman Super Target Spot Value? (Read 23326 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman Super Target Spot Value?
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
So true Fitz and thanks for sharing.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 12:16pm:
This one was just listed at what seems a fair BIN price:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Damn--within a few hours of its listing, the BIN price of $550 (with box) disappeared!  What's up with that BS?

In some auctions, once a bid has been placed, the BIN price goes away. I've bid on several Ebay items that do that.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
That's the normal way of how it typicaly works Frank, if someone places a bid in lieu of going for the buy it now price the item will convert to the open bidding process. It is not something the seller did in an attempt to screw somebody as some might think. It might be best for those not knowing how the system works to shy away from it in lieu of making false judgement calls on reputable sellers.

JLouis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
My eBay experience is about 95 percent good.  Glad it's there how else would I find some of this obscure stuff.

Boats

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 5:35pm:
My eBay experience is about 95 percent good.  Glad it's there how else would I find some of this obscure stuff.

Boats

+1!

Jerry_H

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Amen bought a few Unertls and Super Targetspots at fair prices and never had a problem as
well as other Misc. items. It also helps to pay attention to the sellers feed back.

JLouis

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
I think "Mr. Redsetter" is like the guy who moves into the neighborhood and then wants to dictate what everyone who owns a house or land around him can do.
If the owner of a complete scope with endcaps and a box wishes to break it down and sell the box, end caps, lens mounts and tube, I would say that is his right.  I also see things listed all the time that the starting bid is way out in left field.  Stupid(or just wildly optimistic?) Wink, but how does that make them evil?  You see the same thing at gun shows.  If someone has something vastly overpriced, does that make them evil?  Do you think you should be able to force them to accept your lowball offer?

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
830singleshot wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 11:04pm:

If the owner of a complete scope with endcaps and a box wishes to break it down and sell the box, end caps, lens mounts and tube, I would say that is his right. 

And I would say he's guilty of destructive behavior for doing so.  There's a distinction between a legal right and "the right thing to do."  I've got a legal right to break up for parts the finest Pope or Schoyen ever made; would you also condone that?  I've got a legal right to sell my Duisenberg (that is, if I had one) to the car crushers.  Any owner of a building on the National Register of Historic Places has the legal right to turn the property into a parking lot.

Those "vastly overpriced" items hurt everyone, by leading those (the inexperienced, at least) who've got something similar to sell into assuming that theirs ought to be worth the same.   

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
"I think "Mr. Redsetter" is like the guy who moves into the neighborhood and then wants to dictate what everyone who owns a house or land around him can do.
If the owner of a complete scope with endcaps and a box wishes to break it down and sell the box, end caps, lens mounts and tube, I would say that is his right.  I also see things listed all the time that the starting bid is way out in left field.  Stupid(or just wildly optimistic?) Wink, but how does that make them evil?  You see the same thing at gun shows.  If someone has something vastly overpriced, does that make them evil?  Do you think you should be able to force them to accept your lowball offer? "

Well said. I've bought and sold hundreds of items on e-pay and my experience has been quite good. It's an auction, so I'm free to bid or not, it's my decision. Sometimes I get items at cheap to reasonable prices and I pass on items that are priced too high. At the recent Tulsa gun show I saw #2 Rollers priced from $750 to $4750. It's the seller's decision to price an item how he wants. I see no evil in that. If an item is misrepresented that's another issue.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:02am
Print Post  
There is always a flip side to everything. There is the same thing with antique cars. When an old car, gun, or scope is parted out it gives several people the opportunity to buy parts that they need to complete there own projects. It is supposed to be a free country(sadly it is not) so it is the sellers choice. I bought a metal stock for  Stevens tip up pistol once. Ended up buying the rest of the gun from the guy and spent more than it was worth having it re lined and  new extractor made just to keep it together. My choice. I haste to see something rare parted out but the good news is that several projects can be completed as the result. Think about that when you cannot find the part you need to complete a project you have been working on for years. There is always someone here looking for parts. They have to come from somewhere.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 11:02am:
I haste to see something rare parted out but the good news is that several projects can be completed as the result.

I recognize that--right now I need both Ballard & Stevens parts.  But if I ever get them, I hope they came from guns that were in such bad shape that no collector would touch them.  I KNOW, however, that isn't always the case, because 30 years ago I used to hang out at Buckingham's table at the Houston gun show, & watched him buy many very decent '73s & '92s--guns any shooter or collector today would be happy to own--because, as he told me himself, he could double or triple his money by breaking them up.  At that time, well-used, but clean, late production '73s in small calibers were plentiful & very reasonably priced; same guns would be worth thousands today.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
As a reply to a fair value for a scope, I have had my best luck finding one on a rifle. The first one I bought was on a Winchester 52 at a local gunship. I convinced the owner to sell just the scope. Ended up paying $300 for a 12x Targetspot (with caps and hood). The best deal was the MK III Martini with a 20x Targetspot that I bought.  I have almost nothing in the scope after selling the rifle.  Keep an eye out for a deal on a rifle and scope where you can get the right price for the gun alone. Just my 2 cents worth. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
If you want a good fix on true prices go to Ebay "Advanced" search. Insert your item then scroll down and check "Sold listings" Should be all in Green no buy it now prices, all what somebody actualy paid for the item. You can see what Unertil scopes have actualy brought for year or so back.

Other thing to consider when I sell on Ebay I do it through a 3rd party charges me but jumps through all the hoops. Ebay fees Paypal and the selllers fees take about 1/3.  So If I was selling a Unertil that went for 750 I would net 500. This is about right just bought a 10x Varmint from a club member at a match for 450, he figured it would have been a 600 dollar scope on Ebay

Part out, list high buy low, all the same it's a free market owner can do what he wants, all the seller can do is vote with his pocketbook.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Just pulled ebay search for Unertl's.  They are high but not higher than new Leupolds and lot cheaper than Nightforce or some of the other high dollar brands.  New MVA B5 with target knobs about 600 delivered. My recomended scope unless you can afford to gamble with used.

For bargins look for external thats not a name get past Unertl or Lyman they are half the price.

Other thing is conditon,  I saw perhaps the best Team 100 mm spotter I have ever seen on ebay. Sold right away for 2500 dollars another that was very questionable 775. Same scope only difference is the conditon.  Get a rough Team Spotter or Rifle Scope repaired is a long and expensive process. Better to buy best conditon.  Scopes are not like rifles when it comes to repairing, few do it well. I went cheap once cost me more in the long run.

Boats

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
One thing to remember about ebay is the fact that you can find things that you never would find if it was not for ebay. I buy and sell occasionally and the price depends on what the buyer is willing to pay to get something he wants that he can't find anywhere else. I personally like ebay and buy very regular from the site.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint