Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Diopter Sight (Read 4386 times)
Stractor

Diopter Sight
Dec 27th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Hi All
A question about the magnifier that screws into the Schuetzen diopter. I have one and was wondering how it was used in practice? What was it focused on, the target or the front sight. The other question is has anyone tried to make one or has made one? It looks to be a very simple sight to make. I could probably turn one in an hour. My problem is the lenses. They appear to be two Plano-convex lenses of 5mm and about 10 mm in diameter with the convex side pointing front (both in the same direction). Lenses like these seem to be readily available. The only problem is the focal length and also I can't find any arrangement of both lenses pointing in the same direction, with the exception of a microscope eye piece. If anyone has any ideas???
Thanks
Bob
Photo borrowed from  Biggi.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)[/URL]

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Diopter Sight
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Here is Bob Jones approach to a Diopter.  It is used by Highpower shooters. Gehmann also offers an adjustable diopter. thru such places as Champion Choice ,Champions Shooter Supply, or Ok Weber.
I used the Bob Jones for a few years with some success. I generally tried to focus for sharp front aperture and fair target. They are not a cure all.
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Stractor

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Kurt
I had looked at those and they are rather expensive.  I want to make one that looked original and worked the same or better.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:32am
Print Post  

Those small diopter-sights are also in Germany very rare. They are mounted into a female thread in the diopter, ahead the disc.

Helps a lot when the eyesight fades a bit away. But one has to pay 150 Euros (200 US$) and more for a good one with perfect lenses. 
Huh

Biggi.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:38am by feuerbixler »  

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Stractor

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Thanks Biggi
The lenses on the one I have are in great condition and it screws into a "Perfekt" Diopter that I have. I have never seen one for sale.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
My solution, since I wear glasses, is to have a pair of glasses with the focal distance is set to 4 or 5 feet.  It works great for everyday use inside, ok for driving (not at night) since the iris closes down a bit in bright light.

On the range - the front sight IS in clear focus.

The glasses work on EVERY gun I own.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
CW,  may give that a try,  I'm due for a personal optical upgrade anyway.  Unfortunately I was damn-near born with glasses.

BUT I have one of those little critters on one of my Euro-22 schuetzens.  when I tried it and got it adjusted it was an EUREKA!!!!!! moment for me.   For the first time in many many years I could actually SEE and use Iron sights. 
I just wish I could bush and adapt or drillout and retap some of my other diopters to accept it.   I'd LOVE to be able to shoot offhand center fire Irons for the first time in my life.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Stractor

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just wish I could bush and adapt or drillout and retap some of my other diopters to accept it.

The thread on the little magnifier is a is Very close or is a standard metric thread of M7 x 0.50 ( or at least mine is ). This tap will slightly chase the thread in an original diopter threaded for the magnifier. Allowing for the years when the thread was originally made and today's modern tooling the threads could be viewed as the same.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Where can one find taps, dies, and clearance drills in those sizes? I might possibly be able to drill out a couple of my diopter discs and rethread, but its going to take a lot of painstaking measurement and thought before I try it.

IP Logged

Stractor

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I usually get them from Victor Machinery Exchange in NYC but that one is out of stock -However Enco has them---- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2013 at 10:16am
Print Post  
thank you,  info is very much appreciated

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint