Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WINCHESTER LOW WALL (Read 5540 times)
LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

WINCHESTER LOW WALL
Dec 26th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Attached are pictures of my Winchester .22short Army training rifle. It was one of seven single shots I traded for. It is the only one I have left. I worked a trade with a man named Clinton Harris. He was the man who started Sierra Bullet company. He did not own the guns but was doing the trade for a friend. Clinton was a great guy and his was a true rags to riches story. I will tell you more about him in another post. This rifle, while excellent on the outside has a rough bore. Someone in the past has reamed the chamber to long rifle, which it will not stabilize. I did try some Minni Mags in it and they fired a group at fifty yards I could cover with a dime. The same guy who reamed out the chamber probably tried his hand at checkering, at least for a few minutes. While the rifle is in great shape, I wish could close me eyes and wish it into a .218 Bee.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: WINCHESTER LOW WALL
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I would be very interested in your reminiscences of Clinton Harris.  I've occasionally found boxes of Sierra gas checks marked "Harris Machine Co." and wondered about the connection.  The boxes were the old fashioned telescoping kind rather than the one-piece type the Sierra bullets have come in since I first bought them, and the green color was a little different.

You could reline and convert the rifle to a Bee, but dime size groups at 50 yards with iron sights are nothing to sneeze at.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Dear Bent Ramrod, It is too late in the day to dig up my pictures but sometime tomorrow I will try to get your request fulfilled. I also have the article from the LA Times  telling of his passing. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
You could also have the chamber lined and put back to .22 short with a lead to the bore. It might shoot great with .22 shorts in the present chamber too if you tried them. A small jump might disturb the bullet, but worth a try.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Val is right.  Try it the way it is with Shorts.  I have 3 Winders, all originally in Short. You could easily chamber a Long Rifle cartridge in all 3.  The reamer might not have removed much metal.

BTW, your rifle is not a Low Wall.  It is a High Wall with the action ground to Low Wall dimensions.  The internal parts & dimensions are all High Wall.

Winchester ground down the High Wall actions before they were heat-treated.  I don't think they bothered heat treating the actions when they assembled the rifle for the Army.  There was a lot of war production going on in 1918, lots of demands for time & equipment and after all, they were just making 22 rimfires.   

In the late 20s & early 30s, Winchester would rebarrel those rifles for the guys who owned them, converting them into Hornets.  When they did so, the actions were heat-treated.  A great many winders have been converted to Hornets, Bees, & such without heat-treating.  Most often, it works OK, with no problems.  But not always.

IP Logged

Reg

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Long Range,
Would it be possible for you to post the information and pictures you have on Clinton Harris here on the forum ?
I think it would be interesting reading for all.
My brother in law used to work for Sierra back in the 70's while they were still in California and used to load me up on their seconds when we would come to town.
I learned real quick that Sierra;s seconds shot better than some of the other brands first !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint