Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic THREE GHOSTS (Read 4086 times)
LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

THREE GHOSTS
Dec 25th, 2013 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Last night while asleep I was visited by three ghosts. The first was the ghost of single shots past. I know what you are thinking but this is not a story about stupidity and redemption  but rather about stupidity and perpetual self condemnation. What this ghost was speaking of was all the great single shots you had a chance to buy but didn't. At this time I will tell you of one. An elderly man that belonged to our shooting club passed away and left his widow with a house full of old guns. I bought many rifles and pistols from her for myself and others. I got to know her so well that she gave me the run of the house. She told me I was free to look any where in the house or garage, in closets, under beds or in any case I could find. I will tell of some of them in other posts. The one I am thinking of now and have for the last forty some years is a beautiful Marlin Ballard. Only the action and tang sight were original the gun had been barreled and stocked by Axel Peterson. It had a walnut perch belly butt stock with a hooked butt plate. The wood had fantastic figure. The rifle had an original long range Ballard tang sight. Now for the down side. Peterson had made the barrel in 32-40 and equipped it with a false mussel but it was no where in sight because some idiot in the past had drilled and relined the barrel to .22LR. Considering the season, maybe idiot is too strong a condemnation. Let's make that misguided. The asking price, a whopping $75. When I said I didn't want to buy it a man standing there grabbed it with both hands. I wonder where it is today. No matter how hard I pressed my head into the pillow I couldn't get the image of that rifle out of my mind. Hey, I know I am no Charles Dickens so don't expect this story to have a happy ending. It is said that the only thing old men have left are their regrets and I have only told of one of mine but I have many. I will tell you of the second ghost on a another day, or maybe not.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: THREE GHOSTS
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 12:30am
Print Post  
You may not know this, but Peterson actually relined many a fine old singleshot rifle to .22RF himself! Including guns he had barreled, and those barreled by Schoyen or others. I don't think he thought twice about relining a nice centerfire to .22RF.
Yes, I know your pain. I passed up a Pope barreled Ballard once, and a friend bought it. At least I don't have to wonder where it is!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
No, Marlinguy I didn't know that. If Peterson were like most artists he would be more inclined to bend the gun over your head that butcher one of his creations.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
LONG RANGE wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 4:17pm:
No, Marlinguy I didn't know that. If Peterson were like most artists he would be more inclined to bend the gun over your head that butcher one of his creations.

Peterson was extremely talented, but we need to remember he was relining guns that were at the time pretty new, so he had no idea they might be collectable someday to us. Also need to remember he was a gun maker/gunsmith, and he needed to make a living, so relining barrels paid the bills, and he figured his liners were so good that he felt he was probably improving the guns he relined.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 10:28am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 12:30am:
You may not know this, but Peterson actually relined many a fine old singleshot rifle to .22RF himself! Including guns he had barreled, and those barreled by Schoyen or others. I don't think he thought twice about relining a nice centerfire to .22RF.

If I had my choice between the original 32-40 with false muzzle (what a pain!) and the Peterson- relined 22LR, I'd take the latter without hesitation.   

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Redsetter, you would have to admit though that a Ballard off hand rifle in 22 caliber equipped with a very tall long range tang sight would look out of place if not down right strange, at least it did to me. I do wish I had just the tang sight today.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
LONG RANGE wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 1:56pm:
Redsetter, you would have to admit though that a Ballard off hand rifle in 22 caliber equipped with a very tall long range tang sight would look out of place if not down right strange, at least it did to me. I do wish I had just the tang sight today.

You're right--that tang sight should have been traded for a scope!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Peterson was extremely talented, but we need to remember he was relining guns that were at the time pretty new, so he had no idea they might be collectable someday to us. Also need to remember he was a gun maker/gunsmith, and he needed to make a living, so relining barrels paid the bills, and he figured his liners were so good that he felt he was probably improving the guns he relined.

Agree, Vall.
Collectors bemoan the relining, the extra holes drilled and tapped to mount scopes, and the other mods that were done back then.
But back then, those guns were still available and you could go buy another if the one you had in hand didn't end up doing the job you needed it to do.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
There's something very attractive about a full sized singleshot in .22RF to me! I have a #6 Schuetzen that was refitted with a #3 weight full octagon barrel in .22 short. (in my avatar) It was done by Zettler Bros. and has a vernier tang sight, and Stevens 368 scope mounted in HM Pope rings. 
I enjoy it much more in .22RF than I would in it's original chambering!

As for muzzle loading centerfires. I have a Schoyen false muzzle schuetzen in .38-55 and I shoot fixed loads in it all the time. It shoots fixed ammo as accurately as muzzle loaded or breech seated.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
When I was a young man in my mid twenties I belonged to two different ranges and at both of them I fired muzzle loaders because that was what I could afford, At one club we could buy any kind of shooting gear below wholesale because we where so big and bought so much. This included those under hammer Hopkins & Allen rifles. I think we paid somewhere around 55-60 bucks for them. That was what I shot. I had a 38 caliber and a 45. We shot on the same day as the Schutzen guys or breach loaders as we called them. These men were much older than me and some were retired. These guys had and shot rifles that would be worth a small fortune today. I wish I had taken pictures so I could share them today. One gentleman shot mostly slug guns but you never knew what he would show up with. Some of you may remember him since he shot with the slug gun shooters at Fresno every year. His name was Milo Taylor and he retired from Long Beach PD in 1950. One day he was shooting a Ballard with barrel and false muzzle by Pope. He was a great guy and I really liked him. He had many fascinating stories of his days as  policeman, especially during prohibition. I remember at times a man would forget to remove the false muzzle before firing a shot and blast the false muzzle about fifty yards down range. We would have to take a range break while he retrieved it. This would only happen if he was using a scope since there was a sight block if you were using a peep sight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint