Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Aluminum butt plate on a Stevens 49 (Read 11778 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Aluminum butt plate on a Stevens 49
Reply #30 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Mike65 wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 4:53pm:
Redsetter and Marlinguy,
In particular I am looking at what appears to be a thumb wheel on the top of the sight to adjust the elevation.   
Mike

If Stevens ever offered such a sight, it's exceedingly rare, but that doesn't explain why it would not be included among the other sights.  Illustrator errors DO appear in many catalogs, so I'm tempted to attribute that thumb-wheel to the illustrator's misunderstanding--may have had in mind sights used by Marlin & Win.   

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #31 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I'll go along with the exceedingly rare comment.  I think that is why Gary Quinlan said that he had only seen a couple of them in all of his years of collecting.

Also the catalog doesn't mention an aluminum butt plate being available but I sure have one.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I think this may be the Winchester sight that your refering to. I believe it is Winchesters midrange tang sight. It came on my DST HW. It's the original sight to the rifle when new.

If it's this sight, the going price is sometimes way North of $600 as a Winchester, as a Stevens....... who knows, it could be double that.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
One of mine is definitely the 108. The 130 is similar. The other one of mine has had the elevation screw and adjusting nut changed. Never seen a Stevens sight with the elevation wheel on the top.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint