Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Aluminum butt plate on a Stevens 49 (Read 11763 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Aluminum butt plate on a Stevens 49
Reply #15 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
assuming the wood is original,  would not the number of screw holes in the butt seem to evidence something?   

Seems to me that the rifle at one time had a different buttplate that required more screws or screws in different locations.  not that I could not have been sent back to the factory to have a different BP fitted at some time.

I can well imagine that for a really serious offhand shooter, who was hoping to take home some high value prizes, replacing a brass or iron/steel with a AL alloy BP might make a big difference in the "hang" of the rifle and for such a shooter paying big dollars for a high priced alloy BP might make enough of a match points difference to justify the expense of having the factory obtain and refit a custom made BP,    

IN those days some of the factories would install customer specified components if they were willing to pay the price or so I've been told.  Are there not factory rifles made up with "other than factory barrels"?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #16 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Steve,
Thanks for adding the pictures.

Marlinguy,
Gary said that my sight would have been a holdover from Tipup manufacture and that the same sight was also used on some Winchesters.  If that is the H sight then that's what I need to look for.  Right now mine also has a 103 on it.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 6:04am
Print Post  
DW,

The extra holes in the stock are from mounting it in a duplicator. The center hole is from a 60 degree center point and the two holes next to the center have threads from a wood screw but are very clean as in having been used only once. This fits with the "T" shaped duplicator mounts I've seen.

Steven Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 7:46am
Print Post  
thanks Steve,   That explains it.  I'm always happy to learn.  they seemed so obvious that I figured there would be a good explanation.  Did all the factories use them?  I've never seen that pattern, but then I don't have much experience with original factory wood.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Mike65 wrote on Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:46pm:

Marlinguy,
Gary said that my sight would have been a holdover from Tipup manufacture and that the same sight was also used on some Winchesters.  If that is the H sight then that's what I need to look for.  Right now mine also has a 103 on it.

Mike

Poor quality picture, but this is the Stevens H sight on my 44.5. Not used on any Favorites that I've ever seen. It has a knurled barrel in the center to do elevation.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And my Stevens 49

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I have two of the H sights and one is slightly smaller than the other one. Anyone familiar with the two variations?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:10pm:
Poor quality picture, but this is the Stevens H sight on my 44.5. Not used on any Favorites that I've ever seen. It has a knurled barrel in the center to do elevation.

That can't be the sight Gary was referring to, if he said he'd only seen 2 of them--he's seen hundreds of this sight, which I call a #104.  (Stevens couldn't seem to stick to one name or number for identifying its sights.)

I believe the one he meant was the one called graduated or vernier peep--adjustable by releasing the eye-cup, no screw.  Staff is attached in the middle of the base, not the forward end.

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

Two very nice rifles.   

The wood on mine has plenty of, ummh, shall we call it handling or character marks with just a tiny bit of color left on the action. 

Mike

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
slumlord wrote Quote:
I have two of the H sights and one is slightly smaller than the other one. Anyone familiar with the two variations?

Is one a No. 104 (H sight), and the other a No. 130 sight?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 10:21pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:10pm:

That can't be the sight Gary was referring to, if he said he'd only seen 2 of them--he's seen hundreds of this sight, which I call a #104.  (Stevens couldn't seem to stick to one name or number for identifying its sights.)

I believe the one he meant was the one called graduated or vernier peep--adjustable by releasing the eye-cup, no screw.  Staff is attached in the middle of the base, not the forward end. 

Yes, I figured he didn't mean the H sight. I'm not sure why Gary thought it would have come with a Favorite Gallery sight, unless it was because of the windage front sight. 
Stevens didn't use many of the Gallery vernier, since they were not a good sight for accurate shooting, as they were difficult to make fine adjustments to. They were similar to the Gallery tang sight found on many Ballard #3 rifles, except for the hole spacing.
Kinda like this one, but much shorter-

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:05am:
I'm not sure why Gary thought it would have come with a Favorite Gallery...

He didn't.  "Gallery" was Ballard terminology, and the one I'm sure he meant wasn't the same sight used on #18 Favorites, called a "Graduated."  Pictures of it in #50, 51 Stevens catalogs--has a base unlike those on any other Stevens tang sight.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Upper right corner--

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #27 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Redsetter and Marlinguy,

My research resources are pretty limited but I have been going by my Stevens catalog which is dated Aug. 1, 1900 which is as close in date to the estimated 1896/97 mfg. date as I could get.

I know that Stevens would sell you just about anything in any combination that you could dream up but I don't really see a rear sight like they show on the picture of the Walnut Hill 49 (pg. 77).  In particular I am looking at what appears to be a thumb wheel on the top of the sight to adjust the elevation.   

In this catalog the sights do not carry a specific letter designation but combinations of front and rear sights do (page 71).  My front sight is the "Wind-Gauge Sight with Interchangeable Disc. $3.00" (no level) on pg.91 and according to the groupings on pg. 71 would have been used with the Mid-Range Vernier Peep and been the G sight combination designation.  This does match the rifle description for the 49 as being available but that rear sight does not have the thumb screw as shown in the picture.  The mid-range vernier shown here is labeled as the "New" mid-range and maybe that is the difference.  If someone has a catalog prior to 1900 that may answer the question.

Mike

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 307 KB | Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 350 KB | Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 312 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Mike65,

Does the Stevens sight you are looking for have a staff (upright) that is like the WRA 38 tang sight?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #29 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
BP,

I really don't know what the original looks like having never seen one.  I was just going by the illustration in the catalog which at best is not a real good image.  

Quinlan did say that the same vernier sight was used on "some" Winchesters but I have no idea which ones.

I'll be shooting this with a 103 which is fine with me.  It would be interesting to at least see what may have been on it originally.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint