Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bought a 10X Unertl....$625....Did Good? (Read 5928 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Bought a 10X Unertl....$625....Did Good?
Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Woke up real early this AM and my mailbox had a notice that a new posting for Unertl was on eBay.

The copy read:
Mint condition Unertl 1 1/4" target scope with adjustable objective.  10 power and so marked.   Lenses are crystal clear with no issues.  Standard crosshairs.  Original blueing on the tube and its in excellent condition.    Scope comes with factory Unertl recoil spring, screw-on lens caps & rubber eyepiece.   Overall length is about 21 3/4" long.  Tube is 3/4" diameter.      All adjustments work as they should.  This scope has seen very little use, ever.   No disappointments here.

I had a few dollars in my PayPal account from selling some un-needed junk I had laying around so I hit the "Buy It Now" button.
If as advertised./...How did I do?.

Gonna mount it on my 'new to me" Stevens 44 1/2 219 Zipper / 38-55

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Bought a 10X Unertl....$625....Did Good?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:39am
Print Post  
If the condition is as described you did well. Good  Unertl at that price is well worth the money.

Get one that needs repairs out lots of time and money. Better to pay for condition up front.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
You did good.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
And as long as MVA and DZ remain with relatively low powered scopes, the prices of F.U.L.L. scopes will continue strong. Strong = inflating. F.U.L.L. = Fecker-Unertl-Lyman-Litschert.

There's a market, apparently, that current production is not meeting. Limited supply means rising prices.

I saw that listing too, and wondered at its reasonableness for eBay. Good move.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:11am:
... gonna mount it on my 'new to me" Stevens 44 1/2 219 Zipper

I want to see that on your 38-55 at your next egg shoot Roy Wink !

You'll recognize me ... as I'll be the guy with the LH'd CPA 38-55 w/ Unertl scope shootin' against you Smiley !

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
That would be an excellent deal up here in the North Smiley.   It's a nice magnification for offhand in my humble opinion.  At my skill level it's bad news to attempt off hand shooting with the really high magnification scopes. Grin

Chris.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:50pm:
At my skill level it's bad news to attempt off hand shooting with the really high magnification scopes.

I just read where David Tubb recommends practicing with an air rifle and high magnification scope to improve your ability to 'hold' offhand (whilst using sights).

I also like his motto where practicing should be 'practice', i.e., you should be working to improve some aspect of your form and not merely throwing lead, even if only .177 pellets.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I haven't read any of Mr. Tubb's books yet but I will.  I imagine with lots of practice you can get a steady enough hold to use the big scopes.  I tried for a short time with a 20x Lyman STS but quickly switched back to my 5x MVA.   

I agree that practice needs focus and direction in order to get anything out of it.  I think I really started realizing that at the start of the year as I just wasn't getting better by doing the same old thing each time at the range.

Chris.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Dec 15th, 2013 at 2:26pm:
I haven't read any of Mr. Tubb's books yet but I will. I agree that practice needs focus and direction in order to get anything out of it.

No need to buy his books, as many of his articles pertaining to effective offhand shooting and practice are available to read on-line, see here:

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Thank you very much!

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
It's true David Tubb did use high power scopes for Silhouette, he won the national championship multiple times. However Silhouette is different than bulls eye. No defined aiming point high scope power helps you pick a spot on the steel critter.  It will also show up your wobble area offhand and if handled correctly can improve your scores. 

His method is approach, settle off the target swing in and break the shot. Sort of like Shotgun shooting in a small precise way. Idea is rifle moving consistently wobbles less than trying to hold it still. Wind adjustment takes care of the lateral movement, as long as its, constant.  I know successful small-bore silhouette shooters than use boosted scopes to 40 power offhand. David Tubbs first book High Power Rifle is the best single instruction book available, any kind of competition not  just offhand.

Bulls eye like the ASSRA most of us will shoot higher scores with lower power scopes. I can pick from 20x 12x 10x & 5x scopes all external adjustment, generally shoot better with the 5x MVA.  Indoors no wind to blow my body around the 20 is very useful. Outdoors on good days the 12 is a great scope but don't shoot it any better than the 5, no doubt due to the majority of my shooting these days Iron Sight. My 10 Unertl is a large objective Varmint and too large and heavy to use offhand.

10 x is a good one to start with then experiment higher and lower.

Boats

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Lefty...It's a date! Lets show those bolt guys how it's done.......Eggs at 200yds with a 38-55 and a 10X scope! Now THERE is a great challenge!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
. Quote:
Eggs at 200yds with a 38-55 and a 10X scope! Now THERE is a great challenge!
Several years back, at Ridgway R&PC, a club member, Mel Hoffman, was spotting for me shooting Homer at 1000yds.  

After several 'Whong's I said to Mel - Let's take a ride out and see how I did.  When I walked over to Homer and looked down - there was an egg on the ground.  With a hole smack in the middle of it.  Turned to Mel and said, "Who the heck shot this egg?"  He just smiled!

Needless to say it wasn't a fluke.  I've watched Mel dust clay birds at 1000 with ease

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
My $625 10X Unertl scope showed up yesterday. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement!

It is in like new condition. Not a scratch on it and the optics will rival anything available today.

I mounted it on the 219 Zipper barrel for my 44 1/2 that I recently purchased from a fellow on this site and went a shoot'n......

I also ordered and received from MidWay a set of the new William Malcolm, Leatherwood "Sniper Scope" rings that are now available separately and can be used with any 3/4" scope. I'm using them with an 8X Malcolm scope. These rings cost me less that $250 with a coupon and free shipping. And for the $$ they are fine. They are not Unertl, but they are a 1000 times better than what comes with the Malcolm scopes.

A full report on these rings will follow at some point in time......

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:47pm:
I also ordered and received from MidWay a set of the new William Malcolm, Leatherwood "Sniper Scope" rings that are now available separately and can be used with any 3/4" scope.

Automatically turning any scope into a sniper-scope, I presume, & the rifle the scope is mounted on into...what else?   

Guess none of Wm. Malcolm's descendants are alive today to claim their fair royalties for this exploitation of their ancestor's name.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint