Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballards and Borchardts. (Read 2774 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Ballards and Borchardts.
Dec 7th, 2013 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Just in time for Christmas or for your next birthday a new book has hit the market by none other than Tom Rowe., see :- 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Click on the URL and then on the cover of the book, this will let you preview every picture and page.
Priced at $104.99 plus postage it is enough to make any fancier of these two rifles need a towel to catch the drool. Beautiful photographs and worthy of a place in any gun book collection.  Cool Take a look first it only takes a couple of clicks of your mouse. Then tell the little lady you'd like it, hint, hint.

Harry

Edit.
I spent an hour or so looking through the pictures this morning after finishing my chores and sadly found that no one had apparently done a 'proof reading' on what can only be called a very limited amount of text, there are spelling errors, something which should not have happened in a book of such quality. Well known authors such as Dutcher are occasionally misspelt as Ditcher.  Still it won't stop me buying a copy.

Harry

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2013 at 7:50am by »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballards and Borchardts.
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
...it is enough to make any fancier of these two rifles need a towel to catch the drool.Harry

Dutcher's book (with NO misspellings) so totally exhausted my salivary glands that now I have to take medication for dry-mouth syndrome.

Unfortunately, I need a new snow-blower worse than another coffee-table book.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2013 at 11:22am by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Pacific #5
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Ditto on Dutcher's book, when I got it a few years back, I could not put it down.  I have since reread it several times.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I went into the Preview and the first gun pictured is a #3 Ballard. I've never seen a #3 with a ring lever like that, I've only ever seen them with "S" levers, curious....

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Dec 8th, 2013 at 11:10am:
I went into the Preview and the first gun pictured is a #3 Ballard. I've never seen a #3 with a ring lever like that, I've only ever seen them with "S" levers, curious....

Another one of these is shown in Dutcher's book--he calls it "scarce, but not rare."  I've never seen one except in this photo.  Actually rather clunky looking, I think.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  

The ring lever on a #3 with standard single trigger is pretty unusual. Ring levers were only used on very early JM Marlin marked guns, and seem to disappear around serial #3000 or so. I have a early JM Marlin #3 with heavy barrel and flat top receiver that's around 3100 number. That should have been early enough to have the ring lever, but it's one of the first with S lever. Dutcher shows one #3223 that has a ring lever in his book.
I have several other #2 JM Marlins with ring levers, and they seem to be more commonly found, as they made more #2 than #3 in early years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 3:36pm
Print Post  

SSDAVE recently had one in the sale section... I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival at my humble abode.

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
My favorite interest... I have 2 of Dutchers books, one for reading then the other for when I wear out the first one...Love Borchardts also so I will have to get this... Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint