Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Traditional 28's (Read 621 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Traditional 28's
Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I'm happy to announce two new shooters, equipment lists and scores for this class (I promice that I'll have my rifle early next year).

The results are from the resent Modesto match.

Tradition 28
Equipment and load information

Name   Jerry Hartwig

Rifle/barrel      CPA/ Douglas       Twist       12      Caliber  28/30

Bullet/mold maker        Mos     Alloy ?      Length  ?  Weight  152 gr

Lube      Javelina Schuetzen            Loading method    BS

Powder  4227      Charge  12.4 Grs  Wad   Floral foam/over powder

Primer/make   Remington            Number  2  1/2

Sights:
Iron/make      JH Tube            Rear            Front

Scope/make        Unertl                        Power  20X

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Name   Rich Davis

Rifle/barrel      CPA/Douglas      Twist      12      Caliber 28/38/50

Bullet/mold maker   Mos        Alloy ?      Length ?         Weight 147 gr

Lube      Javelina Schuetzen            Loading method   BS

Powder  300MP                  Charge  12.4      Grs      Wad

Primer/make  Federal                  Number  210M

Sights:  
Iron/make      JH tube            Rear                  Front

Scope/make        Lyman STS                  Power  20X

Jerry Hartwig  IS Agg. 494-14 (A pair of 247's) AS Agg. 482-7

Rich Davis  IS Agg. 476-2c  AS Agg. 482-8c

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional 28's
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Frank how did you come up with Rich's cartridge designation?
His case is the 25-35 blown out to 28 and would that also be considered traditional?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Rich's case is the same basic case as the 38/50 Ballard. It's necked down to 28 cal. The rules state:

Traditional rifles and sights as defined in both ASSRA and ISSA rules.
All known and documented 28 caliber cartridges, factory or "wildcat", to include the following cartridges.

1. 28/30
2. 32/35 Stevens/Maynard, necked to 28
3. 32 Ideal necked to 28 
4. J. Francis Rabbeth's, Wesson 32 XL necked to 28
5. All 28 calibers listed in F.W. Mann's "The Bullets Flight" 

Quote:
And any 28 caliber based on original full length  BP rifle  case heads. For a shortened cartridge to be included, they will have to be documented in a pre-1917 publication like the Mann 28 caliber cartridges are.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Your logic is baffling to say the least. It is not a 38-50 necked down it is a 25-35 blown out to 28 just as his cases are stamped and the basic case a 30-30 Win. I could simply pick one of those cases you mentioned and reform it but by no means would it be traditional unless I could provide an example of it from days gone by. My Darr 28 could be called a 28-30-149 as that is exactly what it is a 28 holding 30grs. of powder using a 149gr. bullet.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:19am
Print Post  
John,
By the rules agreed on during the discussion of this class. You can use ANY original BP case head as long as you DON'T shorten it. You can even use a shorten case if you can Identify it in a pre 1917 publication.

The 38/50 Ballard is the same length and case head size as the 32 Special, 30/30, 25/35 and 22 Savage HP. There fore, any of those case head stamps WILL qualify as long as they are NOT shorten. You could even use the 7mm Waters.

The 38 XL Ballard would also be eligible to neck down to 28 cal. by using the 357 Maximum case IF you don't shorten it. BUT you can not use a 28 Miller Short or any of the '06-308 size case heads Rimmed or not, 25, 32, 30 Remington, 222 - 223 or even the 225 Win. case heads. You could use the 7mm TCU by setting the barrel back .15 and using the rimmed Max case.

I hope this clarifies the cartridge rules.

Those are the rules that were agreed on by vote of the people that started the 28 Traditional class. I will not break the rules! If your 28 is a original length, BP case head, it will be eligible also in a Traditional (ASSRA, ISSA, WSU) action.

Frank

PS
If I get enough feed back regarding shoulder angles to bring larger case case heads down to 28 cal. I'll start another discussion to rectify that issue but, the 25/35 only has a 11.5 deg shoulder and much more taper than the 30/30 to reach the start of the shoulder. For now, there are no rules regarding shoulder angles.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:48am by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
A tad confusing Frank, my Darr 28's parent case is the 357 Maximum left full length but I don't personally see it as being traditional but rather of a new design of which the designer should get credit. Did the 38XL Ballard use small primers or large for curiosity sake. I won't argue with the rules as voted on I just do not quite understand the logic. Reminds to much of what constitutes a traditional rifle and my vote was to leave it opened ended so all could play and to take the 28's to a higher level of competitiveness of which is my current goal as well as Rich and Jerry's by utilizing three different case designs for sake of comparison of which should turn out to be quite interesting. 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
The logic was to give modern day experimenters the basic case selection as the golden age experimenters. What I saw in the case of the 28 caliber was that every version, with the exception of Mann's shorten 28/30's used a full length cartridge case.

I don't know which primer the 38 XL used for sure but, I think I have one in my collection. I'll check.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
The only traditional version was the 28-30 Stevens as was marketed by Stevens. What are the other 28 versions you speak of?

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
John,
The calibers listed by me in post #2 are documented wildcat calibers chmbered by Pope, Peterson and other rifle makers of the time.

I researched this caliber for a long time before deciding to build one. If you'll go back to the first discussion, early this year, you find more info regarding calibers. You may have even posted in it but, I'm not positive.

Frank
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 9:31pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
So would a 30-30 necked down to 7mm and a little steeper shoulder qualify?  What you one call it?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
28/38/50, add your name behind it, if you like.

These larger cases, I don't believe will be the pace setters and will fade out because of it.

The good thing is it will draw more shooters Smiley

I believe the competitive cases will be between the 25/20ss (28 Rabbeth) and the 357 Max (28/38 XL), Possibly shorten 28/30 Mann and if a supply of 32 Idea cases where availible, it would be right in there, too.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
CW the 30-30 necked down to 28 is not new, Barry Darr chambered for it back in the day and said they shot extremly well. Good 28-30 Stevens brass has always been hard to come by thus the move to something readily abailable. I don't believe and it might be just me beleave in the way that Frank is coming up with these new randomly picked cartridge designations for those that all ready exist post the 1900's. Creating a new name to something that already is just adds allot of confusion especially when a fellow buys one from one of those who already have them along with the load data of which has also been published for quite sometime. The 28-30-30 and 28-35 being two good examples. My case is simply another Darr creation based off the 357 Maximum Case FL and it is quite simply a 28 Darr and has nothing to do with the 38BallardXL and thus it does not qualify per Franks rules of which is fine with me as I will not change what already exists by calling it something different just to be able to play with the rest of the 28 traditional folks and I find fault in those that would. If the cartridge did not have an advertised designation prior to 1917 it is simply a modern wildcat cartridge design period.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 11:37pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Answer this John, in another thread, as the match results is not the place for debates......... What existed first, the 38/50 Ballard or the 30/30? What is the difference in the basic case, regarding head diameter and length?

Did the 38 XL Ballard exist before the 357 Maximum? What is the difference between the case head and length of the 38 XL and the 357 Max.?

Where the gun builders prior to 1917 restricted to how they could design a wildcat cartridge or what they could neck up or down?

The rules were set out long before any match results were turned in, I heard NO complains from ANYONE at that time. The rules are simple, you can use ANY original case head size and length that was used for a BP cartridge, that's all there is to it.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I am simply saying you cannot rename a cartridge that already exists for the sake of making it traditional, it's designation has already been established as a wildcat. Rich Davis's cartridge as noted in the score results is a 28-35, you then took the liberty to change it assuming to fit your need. The reamer was purchased used from a retired gunsmith thus it is not a new cartridge design and there is a barrel or barrels chambered for it already out there. Thus it was and always will be a 28-35 and that is how it will be listed in the score results and the same holds true for the 28-30/30 and the 28Darr and a multitude of other wildcat case designs regardless of what the parent case might have been. The 219Donaldson Wasp can be traced back to a traditional parent case so would that give you the justification and then the right to change it? Harvey would not think so nor do I and the same holds true for the above mentioned as someone has already spent the money, time and effort to develop and introduce them to the shooting community and at a minimum at least get the credit for their new design.

It would be nice to hear the thoughts of others.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:28pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
To begin with, John. I consulted with the gunsmith that chambered the barrel and he agreed with the catridge name.

One reason that I like the cartridges name for their parnent case is that it shows what BP case, it was derived from. There are NO limits to the configuration of cases in the rules, not to mention that the 25/35 was well before 1917 and any gunsmith or rifle builder could have used it and no matter what you think, the 38/50 is a BP case that predates any other .42 diameter case that is 2" long. I don't care what you call your case or what anyone else calls thier case, as long as it is on a standard length BP case, it is eligable, period. Again, if I get enough feed back to change that, I will again start a vote what can be done.

As someone that is always talking about getting people involve in this sport and wanting it to be affordable I'm supprized at your opposition to something that was voted on and that you can't and won't be able to compete in. Is there some other reason for it?

This is the last responce I will address regarding this subject in the ASSRA Match Scores. If you would like to talk futher, on this forum, open another thread! Or contact me by Email or PM.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint