Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 38/56 primer choice (Read 7253 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Re: 38/56 primer choice
Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Since black powder deflagurates v smokeless that explodes, one wants a primer with the lowest brisance.

Here's the ignition flame (brisance) on a BR2 ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you can find them, these' PMC's would be my primer of choice shooting BP:

In the days of yore, BP cases had SR primer pockets.  Now they are LR pockets.  If one has access to SS reducing sleeves from LR to SR, using a Wolf SR primer looks like this which would provide the best brisance on the BP powder column for accuracy

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Pictures are pretty, but I'm one of those old foggies who goes by what prints on the target. Have tried LP primers and over primer wads and all sorts of combinations these past 3 years. The CCI 200, no over-powder wad and the loads I've listed above are working well in my 38/56. The 40/65 I'm working with over the winter may be a different story, but I'll still go by what prints on paper. Am fortunate in living 15 minutes from my home club's 600yd range.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Will try the PJ Spitzer as fixed ammunition seated just in the case with the CCI 200 LR primer.
Tried Weet Bix for breakfast but it made no difference to my group size, there goes another theory.
Mike.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pictures are pretty, but I'm one of those old foggies who goes by what prints on the target. Have tried LP primers and over primer wads and all sorts of combinations these past 3 years.
SS, no argument that "what prints on the target" is key respective to the load, including the primer used, the quality of the powder and how it is compressed.  
But the brisance of the primer that starts the whole ignition chain to deflagurate the powder column is also a key.

Reading this issue of the SSRJ, a 2nd place score (193 out of 250) shooting 100yd offhand German ring target caught my eye:
Presume 1948:
Quote:
Guy Burch, Maedonia, ILL - 193 out of 250 with a Pope Union Ballard 32-40 using full case of Schuetzen powder and blacl powder primer, 196gr Pope bullet. 
It was 'the black powder primer' that interested me ...
These primers were manufactured for with a very low brisance that was compatible to ignite BP properly.  Such primers are no longer made because the shooters of semi smokeless & smokeless complained that BP primers did not ignite these powders.  So with the the new nitro based powders and BP shooters converting to it - BP primers faded into history.  Now with the re-interest shooting BP in calibers created for this powder ... folks are searching for primers that don't 'whack' the grains and ignite the column for better avg fps and SD's. 
My LP primer of choice in addition to BR2's is Federal GM150M

PS: Very familiar with Cumberland Riflemen having lived 20 minutes from the gate.  Too and including working the 600yd risers in water up to my knees before the reconstruction.  I shot my 1st BP rifle rounds there one day ... A used H&R BC and was dumb as a door knob.  A Big Lube bullet with 52gr of Triple 7 - after 15 sighters at the 100yd - 5 rounds shot at 600 in 90+ heat & mirage resulting with 5 holes in the 7 ring.  5 3/4 x 1 1/2 with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar.  Dan witnessed this target never to be duplicated again!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
John - chatted with Dan at the 100yd range on Thursday. He is on the verge of retirement.
Should we expect you for our BPTR mid-range matches next season? First one is March 30. Plan to have a 2-day Eastern Regional the last weekend of June, but still waiting final approvals.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
SS - would enjoy shooting LR again at Millville.  Between now and the matches would have to drive down and refresh some of my 600yd settings.  Haven't shoot 600yds in a long time.  Just skip from 200m-500m to 1000yds now and 100 to 300yds at Jackson.
When I lived in Marmora, I was at the range 2 -3 times a week for many years.  Even going back when every gun owner within 50 miles had a gate key - whether or not they were a member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint