Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Annealing Case Necks Experiment (Read 4464 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Annealing Case Necks Experiment
Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Hey guys,

I was annealing a batch of brass today and thought I’d run a little experiment to determine the appearance of different brands of brass when properly annealed.  The photo is the before and after annealing results of brand new Remington, Winchester and Starline.  Although listed as .45-90, the head of the Starline case to the right is actually stamped 45-2.6

As noted, 750° Tempilaq solution was used inside the case necks to determine the correct heating duration and temperature to ensure the necks were not over heated.  I have done a good bit of annealing and experimenting since purchasing a Bench Source annealer and have formed some opinions.  One is that many shooters over anneal, which is generally not a dangerous situation as long as the head area does not get too hot and soften.  But it can shorten the life of the brass and have other negative results.  Note the subdued color changes of the necks.  The vivid bright rainbow of colors seen in many photos of annealed brass is not evident but you can see the color change.

For more info on annealing case necks, see the following article: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2013 at 1:29am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Re: Annealing Case Necks Experiment
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Interesting post, I must be doing it the simple way.  I hold the base in a gloved hand with the neck and sometimes shoulder in the flame of a propane torch, rotating it until I get a color change similar to that on the necks of new military 30-06, usually 15-20 seconds, and quench it in a cup of tap water.  Seems to work OK fire-forming 7X57R to 40-70 Ballard and 40-70 Sharps from 30-40 Krag as well as imported 25-20SS.  Worked poorly on 25 High Power to 32-35 Maynard, gave up and called Buffalo Arms on that one.  The base gets too hot to hold comfortably with a bare hand, but not enough to anneal .
James

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
James - on my machine I find that ~3.5s in the flame is plenty to anneal a 40-65 case neck. Am thinking your 15-20s is pretty long to be in the flame.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Ditto

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
All the brass in the photo were only in the flame approximately 3 to 3.5 sec.  I would venture to say from experience that anything longer than 4 seconds will result in over heating the necks.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
15-20 seconds in the fire is overkill, big time.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I think the amount of time would depend on how many torches were used, the size of the flame and where the case is placed in the flame.
Wayne, interesting note in your article about dropping them in water vs. just letting them cool on a towel or something.  I always used to drop my cases in a small bucket of water but this last time, I just dropped them on a folded towel.  I did not have the same uniform feel when I seated the bullets in the case.  Huh Undecided  Go figure!!  Bob

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Oct 23rd, 2013 at 10:01am:

Wayne, interesting note in your article about dropping them in water vs. just letting them cool on a towel or something.  I always used to drop my cases in a small bucket of water but this last time, I just dropped them on a folded towel.  I did not have the same uniform feel when I seated the bullets in the case.  Huh Undecided  Go figure!!  Bob

Bob, everything I've read and personally experienced indicated the cooling technique does not have an affect on the brass hardness.  The next time I anneal I'll have to see if dropping in water vs. using a wet towel makes a difference.  Possibly dropping in water may remove some of the brass oxide that forms when annealing.  How do you clean or dry the wet cases afterwards when you drop them in water?

Wayne

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I know! I've read that too so that's why I skipped the water the last time but I felt that it wasn't the same.  When I drop in water, I put them in a drying rack.  I've oftened wondered about the oxide that forms on a case as you can feel that the case is a little rougher.  Wonder if that has anything to do with the bullet seating?  I like to make my loads about three weeks before a shoot so that the bullet takes a set in the case although I have shot some good scores with old ammunition and just shot a great group with my 45-70 when getting rid of my last 12 loads of the season.  Now, what was that due to?  Huh Maybe the alloy has age hardened or softened or Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2013 at 9:21am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2013 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I throw the wet cases in my Lyman vibratory case cleaner with the lid off for about 4 hours. It cleans the scale off and drys the cases. I started this with my black powder cases which had been soaking in soapy water on the way back from the range. It works great, they end up cleaner then my smokeless cases! It works great on annealed gas checks also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint