Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Small Ceramic Case Cleaning Media (Read 7609 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Small Ceramic Case Cleaning Media
Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Once upon a time there was a long thread on using small ceramic media in a Thumbler's tumbler. Someone posted a link to a company that sells small enough media that it would work well in .22 & .25 caliber CF cases without getting stuck. However, I've run a search on both Thumber and ceramic and come up empty. Anyone recall the company/source?
Thanks.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Re: Small Ceramic Case Cleaning Media
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Might this be the link to the site your looking for?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I am not sure about going down to .22 cal but I think this stuff will work for as small as 32-20.
Sam

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
SS Shooter

In reading other gun blogs it seems many are switching to stainless steel pins as supplied by Buffalo Arms and others.  Apparently the proper sized pins don't get stuck in primer holes.

Maybe you know something about the ceramic vs SS pins that I'm overlooking.

I use an ultrasonic for all my brass and it is particularly good for black powder residue.  If I want the brass to look shiny the I have to use the dry vibrator which is messy and slow.  I'm going to build a wet tumbler or buy a Thumler B.   A homemade one will be bigger.   

Dave

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Thanks. I use AZ Sharpshooters (Dave Maurer's, I believe it is) small ceramic and BACo stainless pins as a mix. It is 'OK' with my 6.5mm brass, but do have to spend some time shaking the ceramic out of most of the cases. I've just order another 3# of pins from BACo and will likely just go straight stainless pins for 6mm & smaller. 

BTW - I find that ~150 is the max number of 45-70, 40-65 or 38-56 cases (all based on the same case) that I can clean in one lot with the Thumbler Model B. Takes ~2hr with a cap of citrus cleaner and a cap of dishwashing liquid and the hottest water I can get from the tap. Have also found that more media is better than less for reducing any case-mouth peening. With a full bag of ceramic and 2# of stainless pins and filling the tumbler to within 2" of being full with water when using the peening has disappeared.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 2:08am
Print Post  
As SSShooter mentioned, case mouth or lip peening is a potential problem when using stainless steel pins.  I did some extensive testing using stainless pins vs. ceramic media in a Thumlers Tumbler.  In every case (no pun intended) using stainless pins resulted in some peening.  Also, as SSShooter noted, a full tumbler reduces the peening, but it will not be eliminated completely.  I've tried pins in smaller cartridges down to .380 auto & still get some peening but it does not matter to me with handgun cartridges.

Where peening does become a problem is when slip fitting bullets.  I now only use ceramic media when cleaning my .40-65 and .45-70 BPCR cases.  Click on the following link for the article.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2013 at 11:21am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

jbrower

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I switched to stainless steel a few weeks ago and am loving it.  I bought one of the $50 two-drum tumblers from Harbor Freight and it hasn't failed me (yet).  I use about a teaspoon of Lemi-shine and Dawn detergent in each of the containers.  Let it run for 4 hours, take the cases out, rinse them off and dry them.  The SS media cleans the insides and primer pockets to like-new condition.  The only issue I've had is that sometimes two pins might get stuck in a flash hole.  I just pull them out with some needle-nose pliers.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Someone posted a link to a company that sells small enough media that it would work well in .22 & .25 caliber CF cases without getting stuck

K-Polish Precision Ceramic Polishing Triangles - 2mm
2 mm x 2 mm K-Polish Triangles are available in 1, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50 and 55 lb packages at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

5 lbs will last you 5 lifetimes!  Have been using the 2mm's for years in a Latrone rotary with Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution to clean 220 Swifts up to 50-70's.  I cleaned 2 barrels of 30-30's last night - a little over 1.5 hrs - like new out of the box

These are what my black powder cases look like after cleaning and the primer pockets a spotless too ...

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Hi John,

Thanks for the link.  I believe I'll pick up 5 lbs.  I looked around on their site some time ago and was under the impression that much larger qtys (typically 55 lbs) was required.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
if I may ask, Straight or angle cut versions? And do they work OK in a vibratory like a dillon or lyman?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
... was under the impression that much larger qtys (typically 55 lbs) was required.
Wayne, your correct.  When I went to their lab/warehouse years ago, I went with a 25-20 case.  The manager wanted to sell me 50 lbs of the 2mm's.  Asked if there was an option ... went into the lab and he said do you want to buy 20 lbs of used media.  Yep!  But I also had to buy a 5 gallon pail of their burnishing solution.  I've used maybe a quart because the Strat-O-Sheen with a dash of Dawn works extremely better.

Then I kept bugging the Manager for about 3 years to start selling the 2 mms's in smaller quantity.  Guess the Top Boss finally said yes because I promoted the media heavily on The Open Range-Shiloh-CasCity-SASS Wire-Cast Boolits and sent the Kramer Manager the links/posts that folks kept asking where to buy the media but in smaller quantity

bnice - they are triangles (K-Polish Precision Ceramic Polishing Triangles - 2mm) and tried them once in a vibratory.  Results is best with a burnishing solution in a rotary
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:22pm by »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. Found it on their site.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 1:20am
Print Post  
John,

I mentioned 5 lbs because that sounds about right for a Thumler's tumbler in which I have been using around 7 to 8 lbs of Dave Maurer’s 4mm x 5mm angle-cut ceramic media, but I may be overestimating how much of the 2 mm x 2 mm K-Polish Triangles is necessary.  Any idea?

Wayne

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
They sure don't want to sell in small lots much!  One pound is $35, 10 lbs is $17/lb.    I think I'll stick to the stainless pins. 

<div class=

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Wayne, I use a Lortone QT 66 rotary - two 6# drums that are 6 1/2" wide.  Measured the media in one drum:  was 3/4" deep and weighed 1# 8oz.  So for two 6lb drums, that would be 3 lbs of media or 3lbs for a 12lb drum.  Over time, you are going to loose media so order some excess, say 5lbs in total ... $100 purchase
I fill the drum 1/2 full with the cases and then cover the brass with the Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution and a squirt of Dawn

A long time ago, I gave Rick Mulhern 5lbs and he split it with Kelly Roos.  Have heard no complaints from either but I don't know the drum sizes they use

On the Kramer site, here's how they recommend to load a drum ...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 6:43am
Print Post  
John - thanks. Good info.

To anyone that is interested, I would be willing to order 10# or more of the small ceramic to get the better pricing and send you whatever quantity you might wish for the cost of shipping. Based on John's info, I'm thinking 3# for my Thumbler would be plenty.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint