Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Size Die Problem (Read 8654 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Re: Size Die Problem
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:26am:
Don't size your bullets.

Joe.

I have to resize. The bullets initially fall from the mould .410-.411" and I cast quite a few of those bullets. My rifle has a .407" groove diameter and I was without a .408" size die but did have the .409". I wanted to try some loads with the .408" diameter to see if groups would change/get better if I sized to .001" under groove diameter hence the need for the .408" die. I can't shoot .410-.411" bullets in this rifle. You can't even slip fit a .410" bullet in the fire formed cases in this rifle with it's tight chamber.

Quote:
BTW, you'r on the wrong forum. These guys are single shot guys, most have never sized a bullet.

I'm a single shot guy, too. How is this the wrong forum? This forum is about Reloading the Single Shot Rifle. You  shoot BPCR you make bullets and size if necessary. 

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Had a 40cal die that tossed a 0.412-.413" bullet. Gave it one try though the 0.410" sizing die before selling. Now use BACo moulds in 0.409" which toss a 0.409" bullet and a Saeco which does the same. You may find the easiest thing is to invest in a new/different mould.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I have no trouble with my Saeco mould, the #740 or the Lyman 410660. It's just that one mould, the Lyman/Snover which I hate to abandon but it's either that or just go back to sizing it to .409" in the other die. No big thing but that's .002" over groove diameter and as mentioned I wanted to try .408" just for seeing if perchance it would shoot better. You never know.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I have to resize. The bullets initially fall from the mould .410-.411" and I cast quite a few of those bullets. My rifle has a .407" groove diameter and I was without a .408" size die but did have the .409". I wanted to try some loads with the .408" diameter to see if groups would change/get better if I sized to .001" under groove diameter hence the need for the .408" die. I can't shoot .410-.411" bullets in this rifle. You can't even slip fit a .410" bullet in the fire formed cases in this rifle with it's tight chamber.

I'm not getting it. You cast these at .410"/.411". Then size them to .409" Is that difficult?
Then size the .409" to .408", and that's hard? Difficult?
Shoot them at .409"! ou'll never see the difference from .408"
Is this a joke? Is this BP, toying with us? If so, it's not (very) funny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Groove diameter .407?  You need a mold that casts closer to your GD.  Buffalo Arms might make one that fits.
Steve Brooks will make you the correct mold.

Have a pesky rifle that had a under size chamber. Had to size bullets down to fit in the fired cases.

Used a Lee sizer die in my reloading press. Pushes the base rather than the nose. Shot so so. 

Finally, after knocking myself out trying to make it work, neck reamed the chamber. No more problems. Last time I shot it, got nine turkeys. Not bad for a ten pound rifle with a three pound trigger.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I have sized pan lubed bullets nose down in my Lyman sizer.  I removed everything below the die including the yoke and the steel insert.  Pushed through with a short wooden dowel that would drop out after the bullet.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I lube 409 bullets in a 409 Lyman lube sizer die with no trouble. Lube is SPG. My guess is the larger bullets are fairly sensitive to lube when working through the sizer. Something stiff is going to make for more effort.

409 die does not reduce the bullet size at all. Not any measureable amount anyway

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
FWIW - (I'm shooting the .405Win which has slightly larger diameter bore/groove)

I pan (or dip lube) and use the push-through Lee sizer.  (OK, I made my imitation of it - made two or three a thousandth or two different.)

I use the sizer to do little more than scrape off the excess lube - an might-maybe just touch the OD of the bullet.

I'm going for the largest diameter that I can still get into the case and have the case chamber with .001-.002 clearance, AND have the bullet OD .001-.003 larger than groove diameter.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Goatwhiskers

Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:17am
Print Post  
If you feel you must size, take a .401" Lee sizer and hone it out until you get the size you want.  Easy with electric drill, dowel rod, and progressively finer emery paper.  Lot less than $100 plus.  GW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the h*** happened.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is this a joke? Is this BP, toying with us? If so, it's not (very) funny!

I don't know who BP is suppose to be but rest assured it's no joke. Some moulds just thrown a bullet too large and obviously this is one of them.  Most unusual for a Lyman mould as they usually if anything will drop an undersized bullet and you end up either sending it back, beagling the mould or sending it off to have the bands enlarged. Some of he bands have miked at .412".

I can live without this mould. I have three others in this caliber that work fine though a .408" or .409" die. This rifle has a tight chamber make no mistake about that. I understand Shiloh Sharps are noted for that and there is zero free bore. Fired cases won't go back in the chamber without a little nudge that last 1/4"-1/2" or so even after neck sizing. Not all of them mind you but most. You can make a mould that's throwing small bullets larger but not vice versa. I may just stick with the .409" bullets. I simply wanted to see if sizing .001" over groove diameter may work better...probably not but it was worth a try.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint