Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Size Die Problem (Read 8644 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Size Die Problem
Oct 7th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
This may sound a little crazy but I just recently ordered a Lyman .408" size die and am having a terrible problem getting .409" bullets to go inside the die without deforming the nose. I have the proper nose plugs for each bullet but most times IF I can get it to go all the way down as to supply all four grooves with lube then I cant get it out easily and have to end up pounding on the knob of the Lyman 4500 sizer to get the bullet out. By then it's screwed up. 

What's going on? Good thing I don't have any .410" bullets although most fall from the mould at that size but I had already sized quite a few to .409" and decided to try some at .408" It shouldn't be causing this much of a problem. I did take the bluish oil off the stem and out of the inside of the die that they pack it with initially.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Size Die Problem
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
It ain't happening. .409" bullets go through .408" dies easily, even if very hard. Measure things.

Quote:
This may sound a little crazy but I just recently ordered a Lyman .408" size die and am having a terrible problem getting .409" bullets to go inside the die without deforming the nose. I have the proper nose plugs for each bullet but most times IF I can get it to go all the way down as to supply all four grooves with lube then I cant get it out easily and have to end up pounding on the knob of the Lyman 4500 sizer to get the bullet out. By then it's screwed up. 

What's going on? Good thing I don't have any .410" bullets although most fall from the mould at that size but I had already sized quite a few to .409" and decided to try some at .408" It shouldn't be causing this much of a problem. I did take the bluish oil off the stem and out of the inside of the die that they pack it with initially.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I have had that problem with HARD Alloy. What is your Alloy? HTH Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I'm putting a .409" bullet into a .408" die, or trying, and I'm using a 1:20 alloy. The bullets are coming out .408" so I know the die's not undersized but it's damaging the nose since I have to push the handle down so hard. It's fattening the nose. Even if the bullets had a  BHN 15 it shouldn't be that difficult to resize .001"

I checked the two bullets I use most and the one that's giving the biggest problem is the Lyman/Snover 410 gr bullet that drops from the mold(1:20) at .410-.411" whereas the other bullet drops at .409". It will absolutely will not go through this die without deforming the nose. Half way into the die it become difficult getting it further down without excess pressure on the handle.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:25pm by »  

IP Logged

Goatwhiskers

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Elijah, you might consider using a Lee sizer.  They push thru nose first, can't deform anything.  I know with the Lyman you can size and lube at the same time, but there are other ways.  GW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the h*** happened.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Have found with my 0.409" bullets (as they drop from the mould) in going through my Lyman 0.408" sizing die with 20-1 can take a bit of effort. Not so bad that they ever stick in the nose cap or get deformed, but definitely takes a bit of effort to get them through. On my particular die, the first 3-4 bands go easily, but the 4-6th will hang up if I don't do the motion with some alacrity (find it always works best when I'm cheerful about it Wink). Makes me wonder if Lyman had a bad run of 0.408" sizing dies.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I may have to consider the Lee for the bullet at least. The others don't do this. It not only deforms the nose by making it fatter but also broadens the drive bands by driving them up nearly to the next band up and shrinking, in essence, the lube grooves...not good.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
It seems Lee doesn't make a push through die .408". They only have a .401 and .410" die...bummer.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Don't recall which magazine, but there is someone advertising a push-through lubrisizing die in one of them. Think it runs around $100. But, if it works then well worth the cost.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
SSShooter that would be Meacham Tool and Hardware.  I've got one of their push through lubrisizers and it's pretty nice.  Mostly I don't size these days, but I do use it now and then Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Don't size your bullets.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:42am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 11:43pm:
SSShooter that would be Meacham Tool and Hardware.  I've got one of their push through lubrisizers and it's pretty nice.  Mostly I don't size these days, but I do use it now and then Smiley
Chris.

That would be it. Thanks.
Does it have changeable inserts or does going from 0.408" to 0.409" mean that one has to purchase another $100 lubrisizer?
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:49am by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:47am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:26am:
Don't size your bullets.

Joe.

I was going to say that. There's no advantage to sizing a bullet from .409" to .408"-lube them and shoot them. 
Any .409" bullet will size to .408" "easily", depending on your physical condition. I have almost superhuman strength. Perhaps weakos would find it difficult. But, a 20:1 .409" to .408"? Anything lino or softer will size easily.
There's something wrong.
Sizing is made MORE difficult by lubricating the bullets, before sizing, with oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil. MORE difficult. Are you oiling?
If you send me the ghi dies and a handfull of bullets, I'll investigate.
BTW, you'r on the wrong forum. These guys are single shot guys, most have never sized a bullet. Don't own a lubrisizer. Mwhite's uncles next door neighbor's cousin heard it at EEtna Green.
Leave those poor bullets alone.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
SSShooter they have different inserts available.  When I bought mine for .45 cal BPCR I bought .457" through .460".

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Ouch! At ~$150 it looks like something to ask for from Santa Claus. Especially as my Lyman 4500 is working fine.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint