Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) twist (Read 6257 times)
Pete

Re: twist
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I'm shooting a Stevens 44 .25-20S.S. swith 1:14 twist
Started out with 85gr bullets, all of them key-holed.
Changed to Lyman's 65gr and that works just fine.
Hope this helps.
Pte

IP Logged

Rigby
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 5:06pm:
Ok,  I'd then have say Too Fast is Too Fast. 

I have an AR with a 1:7 twist that will not shoot 55gr bullets accurately no matter what the velocity. Sure it will shoot 77gr bullets but not anything lighter than 68grs. Erring on the side of a too fast barrel will not always work.

SS

Not necessarily. My first question to you is what type of 55gr. bullets were you shooting?

A fast twist doesn't always hurt you like most people think. The problem that makes it's ugly head shown is when you use poor quality bullets or your loaded ammo has a lot of run out. The run out or poor quality bullets the faster twist will amplify the run out and that is what makes the groups worse. 

When I started shooting Hi Power rifle back in the late '80's almost no one was shooting a AR15 style rifle. I started with a NM M1 Garand. In 1990/91 I had my first match service rifle AR built. While that was being built I started to play with a rack grade colt AR15a2 with a factory 1-7 twist barrel. Back to that in a second. At that time there were no 75-80gr. bullets out there. The heaviest bullets out there where 68gr. Hornady, 69gr. Sierra and 70gr. VLD's by JLK. While my gun was being built I played with the rack colt AR15. I went to the range with a scope on it and some 69gr. handloads. No floated barrel and no custom trigger etc...those handloads would shoot right around 3/4" at a 100 yards. When I ran out of my handloads I loaded some factory 55gr. ball ammo to practice my off hand. On average 2 out of 5 rounds would go thru the target sideways at a 100 yards. I thought I wrecked something! After talking with my barrel maker at the time and my gun builder I went back to the range but this time with two different handloads. My 69gr. Sierra's, 52gr. Hornady Match bullets and some more of the factory 55gr. ball ammo. Started with the 69gr. bullets. Gun went back to shooting 3/4". Ran out of those then

IP Logged

Rigby
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Continued...Ran out of those then started shooting the handloaded 52gr. Hornady bullets. Guess what? They printed nice 3/4" groups also at 100 yards. They were so consistent you could not tell any difference between those and the 69gr. bullets. I grabbed some of the 55gr. ball ammo and guess what. Out of the first 5 one of them went thru the target sideways. Again this was in a factory 1-7 twist barrel. Those 55's and 52's would've stabilized in a 1-14 twist barrel. What made the 52gr. bullets shoot? Good quality bullets and handloads with little run out. 

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint