Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Custom Expanders (Read 4842 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Custom Expanders
Oct 1st, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I've noticed on Buffalo Arms website they have a series of expanders both straight and custom. The custom expanders can run .406-.409" for instance. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean it expands the case to .406" and the .409" is where the flared part is and will go as much as .409" with the bell? They have others that go up to .406-.411" all for a .40 caliber rifle.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Re: Custom Expanders
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
No one knows?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I've never used one of the tapered ones...just the straight ones, but, it seems like the tapered ones would work like you assumed...
Where it would sort of make a bell shape at the top.

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

ClaMar

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Short answer to your question is "yes".   

Clarence

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I have the straight ones and they don't make a bell. I had asked BACO about that after I got my first one and they told me they wouldn't, that the straight ones was for those that like to have a slip fit without the bell.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Lyman "M" is about the standard expander, CH makes a good one too. Lee's need polishing before using and they are not very long.  Which ever you use if you don't want a bell don't run it down all the way. 

Changing the expander size lets you expand the case neck for your individual bullet.   

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I build my own.  First diameter such that the case (hmmm what brand and hardness?) just grips the bullet with ( fill in your specification in 0.001" increments) pressure.  Second diameter allows .001 - .002" inches clearance for a sliding fit of the bullet.  Third is a feature that slightly bells the case - and fourth is a positive stop so that there will be no variation due to differences in case length.

It takes making several to get to the point where I've matched bullet diameter to throat diameter to case characteristics and to chamber size.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Lee also makes expander dies and their various size inserts are about $4, each. They did not offer the size I wanted so took their next largest size and spun in a drill with some crocus-cloth and 1000grit wet paper to get it down the needed 0.001". With the Lee you can run the case far enough up the expander to get a bell on the case mouth. Be careful doing this, as is easy to over-do the bell. Ask me how I know. Wink Considerably less expensive then the other options. Got mine from Track-of-the-Wolf. 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I do have the Lyman M-expander but it's .408" and I was looking for a .406" as .408" is my bullet diameter and I'd like a .002" neck tension. That was my reason for seeking out another expander. Tack of the Wolf doesn't have expanders for .40 caliber other than a .408, which I already have, and a .410"-too large.

Breaking it down, should I order from BACO their .406-.409" expander or .406-411"?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Elijah, you could call buffalo arms and ask their opinion, they have Shooters working there!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a plan...I'll do that. I don't want to guess.

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
With the BACO expanders, the second number is the step up in diameter that you will get to if you run the expander far enough into the case. If all you want is a strait expander just get a 0.406, or get any one of the 0.406-??? numbers and do not expand too deeply into the case.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I don't want the straight expander as I need to flare...at least a little to get the base of the bullet started. I just wasn't sure about the second number since they have several in the .406" dimension.

IP Logged

ClaMar

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 9:18am
Print Post  
There's this marvelous  device called a telephone that will allow you to answer your question and get the one you need in ~2 min...

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Gee-wish I had thought of that, how brilliant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint