Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Neck Size Dies (Read 4436 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Neck Size Dies
Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Anyone using the Meacham Neck Size die with the bushings? How would it differ from a Lyman neck size die? Both just size the neck and the Lyman is a lot cheaper.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Neck Size Dies
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
If the Meacham is similar to the Redding I have, the interchangeable bushings can be ordered to resize to any given diameter.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
And how do they both compare to Wilson?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:30am
Print Post  
The Redding, if the bushing model, is like the Wilson bushing model. Both take various diameter bushings so can size the neck to whatever diameter you wish. Both very high quality. Bushings are generally from Wilson, Forster or CH4D. A newer, less well known maker is Whidden Gunworks. I just bought one of their FL bushing dies for my 6.5x47L rifle. Looks to be high quality and in the same price range as Forster, Redding & Wilson.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I have a set of Meachum's and they are top quality.  He only make larger sizes so for 32/40 I use CH4D's One thing about Meachum he stamps the size on the ring, others you have to keep separated in little bags with sizes marked, otherwise it's trial and error setting up.

I hear Wilsons are good but again they only make certain sizes. Mostly  for modern bottle neck cases. It's not just the neck, how long makes a difference.

Way I see it can't compare price large factory, with owner operated one man shops. I go with the small guy and don't worry about prices long as it's reasonable. It's the small shop that keeps Single shot shooters going.

Boats

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Size of Redding bushings also marked.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Paul Matthews in his book on "Shooting the Black Powder Rifle", makes mention of neck sizing but further explains how after a certain amount of firing the case may become difficult to chamber although fire formed in the same rifle.

He indicates the problem lies with the expansion in the head area but difficult to resize just that area without a special die/bushing for just that area and explains how doing so would prolong the life of the case and all the trouble you went though to fire form cases rather than go thought the entire process at some point of having to resize/fire form again when seating with thumb pressure no longer works. Unfortunately, this is a tool not available and you have to do it yourself. It would be great if someone came up with such a tool for sale.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I have never experienced base expansion with straight sided cases. My 38/55 cases have been loaded dozens of times never sized anything but the necks. Sizing die does very little to the Web were brass is solid. Sizing takes some spring back, Hollow part easy to do where solid the die does little to it.

I never read that one but in his "40 years with the 45/70" Matthews loaded his guns to the max, push limits all kinds of things show up. Some of his 45/70 loads for lever actions be best to only use the case a few times, or so it seems to me

Boats

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I think what he was getting at was to avoid having to full length resize. The article is in Chapter 2, page 13, and he calls it "Resizing Without Fireforming".

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Have a CH4D neck sizing die for my 38-56/40-65 that uses bushings. However, I've only used it a few reloadings before finding that it did nothing to enhance the accuracy of my loads. If P.M. had annealed his cases occasionally (see the other thread in this forum on annealing BPCR cases) he would have avoided the problem. I anneal annually, which is about every 12-13 loadings with my 250 cases. Feel sure I could go longer, but then would have to try to keep count of firings. Enough to do all ready without another task.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Elijah, with the bushing neck dies, you can pick what size you want your case to be to adjust the neck tension and avoid having to use an expander die. Just size, chamfer well once and then carefully seat your  bullets. Or so I have read. 
My experience is very limited with bushing dies. I have a die that I built and have 2 bushings for it so far but have only played around a little and not loaded any ammo with it. One down side to the bushing dies is that if everything is not in near perfect alignment it can make your case mouth off center. That happened to me on my first try with the die. I used it in a lyman press and I don't know just exactly where the problem was but the case didn't look good at all. Next I tried it in a Co-Ax press and everything was nice and centered. I was using a standard shell holder in the Co-Ax press and had initially set things  up for a 44-77 and had left that shell holder in the press when I ran a 45-70 case into the die with the proper size bushing installed and it looked well centered. I don't know if the fact that the case could float in the shell holder helped to center it or just what the difference was. I still need to experiment on things a little.
Don't know if this will help you or not, just my experience on things.
Sam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint