Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman 55 Powder Measure too much to expect? (Read 5906 times)
JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Lyman 55 Powder Measure too much to expect?
Sep 19th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I have a new in the box 50's vintageLyman 55 powder measure. It is orange with the knocker on the spout. It does not seem to be consistant in throwing a charge.

I was aiming for 4.0g of Unique, and got weights varying from 3.6-3.7g to 4.2-4.3g. I have had similar results with 4227. This seems excessive to me. Is there anything I should be looking for, it is clean and all appears to be tight and proper. Is this the best I can expect from this measure?

Jim H.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman 55 Powder Measure too much to expect?
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Are you using just the "D" slide? If so, try it with the D & E sides together. A setting of 10 with the D & E, is suppose to be 4.0 gr.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I am using the original setting table for the measure. It recommends using the top slide set at 8 for 4 grains. I ended up with it set at 10. 

The sheet is dated 1954, I believe Unique has been reformulated since then which could account for the difference. I will try using both slides the next time to see if that helps. 

My other measure is a Lee plastic measure which throws a charge within +- 0.1g. I had hopes of similar repeatability from the Lyman.

Jim H.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
The addition of a powder baffle might help to improve things?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Mine came with a powder baffle. it was hopeless---totally inconsistent. I threw the baffle away and all my problems with the measure disappeared.
Fred

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Sinclair makes a powder bottle adapter that incorporates a baffle. I have these on Lyman/Culver and a Redding measure - they work well, do not increase the variability, and are convenient.

Before I put the adapter on the Redding, I tried combinations of one and two baffles in various positions in it, but no combination was better than just the one that came with Redding from the factory.

The Culver has the advantage of click adjustments, while the Redding has a micrometer. Both are easy to adjust once you've made a plot of measure reading vs grains of a particular powder.  With very light charges of powder, you're better off with a pistol measure. Redding also offers a second micrometer for measuring light pistol charges. Ohaus also made a measure that had two separate micrometers for light pistol charges, and rifle charges. 

The multiple scales on the factory Lyman 55 have always seemed to me to be more trouble to adjust. Right now my Lyman/Ideal 5, 6, and 55 measures just sit clamped to a shelf for display. 

Regards, Ron

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
RJM wrote on Sep 21st, 2013 at 1:39pm:
Right now my Lyman/Ideal 5, 6, and 55 measures just sit clamped to a shelf for display. 

Regards, Ron

They do certainly make a nice display, but I'd quit shooting BP if deprived of the use of my 5 & 6; especially the #6--I enjoy using it so much I'd go into the business of selling reloads if I thought anyone would buy them.  And I never weigh BP charges anymore, because I've found the settings on the slides are so accurate.

I fitted the #5 with a baffle shaped exactly like the one in my Redding BR, because I also sometimes use it for large-grained smokeless powders I don't want to run through the Redding.   

Oh yes...if you ever find that your #6 is taking up too much space on your workbench, let me know.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
About a year ago I bought one off ebay just to say I had one. I fooled with it for awhile and consigned it back to the old box it came in. My Ohaus DU-O-Measure is the most accurate measure I've ever owned.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I only use two measures for fast pistol powers. Bonanza fixed  rotor's for almost everything or the Harrell's Small Pistol-Schuetzen when working up loads. Get the charge right I modify one of the Bonanza rotors to throw the charge found with the Harrell's.  Either one throws consistent Unique W231 or Hodgen Clays. Bonanza is faster to use, you move it over the loading block cartridge to cartridge rather than mounted

My Orange 55 won't throw anything but Black Powder consistent, even with Black it won't throw as good as the Belding and Mull.  However some of the older 55's with Bushed housings will throw better than the newer Orange all cast models. Precision is just not there with the newer Lyman's

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I have several vintages of 55's.  Some are accurate with some powders, others with other powders.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint