Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It Just Makes No Sense (Read 10544 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Re: It Just Makes No Sense
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I'm wondering if one of the custom expanders from BACO could solve this problem...maybe a .405-.408" expander.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The problem is the bulge from expanding it to accept a bullet.

You need to neck turn the cases.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I know it may not make sense but the thickness of the case mouth are the same as the others....009".

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Somewhere back of the case mouth, it HAS to be thicker or it could not do that. Just neck turn them and they will fit.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
With a.408 reamer?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
No, a outside neck turning tool. Turn the case to behind where the buldge is formed.

First size the case using the expander.

If you don't have or can't borrow a outside neck turner, such as the Forrester, and you have access to a lathe, let me know and I can tell you how to do it in a lathe.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
You'll have to pardon my ignorance a bout outside neck turners but it seems the problem must be on the inside of the case. Why not just ream the inside? The problem with that is I have a Forster trimmer that a reamer would work well with but they don't have a .408 reamer, just a .400 and .410. RCBS has one but you have to buy the die at over $100 plus another $50+ for the reamer. I only paid $40 for these cases and it wouldn't be worth it. I wouldn't know what to do with a lathe if I had one.. Last time I used one of those it was in  high school shop and it was a wood lathe.

I think in light of having just gotten 150 Krag cases I'm going to sit these aside for awhile. I've had the 38-55 cases bulge a little with the expander die but noting that would cause cambering problems. The problem with the dies with that one was the size die sizing down too much. Maybe an RCBS or Redding size die would help in this case, I don't know.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The reason for outside turning is that the case walls will be concentric when your done. With inside reaming, the reamer can wander.

All you can do if you inside ream, is to do it after fire forming with your .410 reamer, but that might not get all the bulge out.

Forrester should still make a outside turning too for their trimmer.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Forster doesn't make one for .40 caliber. Their outside turners only go up to .375".

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Elijah,
Sometimes we shooters make it more difficult than it needs to be when we start out.  If the Baco brass works in your chamber with a bullet seated, then use the Baco brass and forget about the rest.  It's not a good idea to mix brass anway as case volume will probably differ along with neck tension.  Case volume differences will lead to differences in compression or powder wt.  You want to keep your loads as consistant as possible.  
Frank gives good advise on neck turning as his method will keep the case mouths the same dimension all around.  If you want to go that direction, K&M Tools (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) are good but by the time you invest in everything, you would be money and frustration ahead. B patient and wait until more Baco brass becomes available.  Bob

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
You're right, I'm prone to do that. I recall only once did I have to use an inside reamer. I had a 7mm Rem Mag in a 700 BDL back in the early 70's that gave a problem after a couple reloads in the neck. That case has such a short neck brass would flow and I wouldn't be able to get a bullet back in the mouth without reaming the necks.

I checked capacity out and the Shiloh brass gives less capacity than the BACO brass by about five grains. Measuring a 60 gr charge of Swiss 1.5 in both cases the level is not the same and I had to trickle out about five grains from that case to equal the same capacity as the other Krag cases. Apparently that brass is just thicker further down than I can measure and compare.

I have more than enough Krag cases now to get started and have some to spare so, I think I'll just use those. I had hoped to use the Shiloh brass as if nothing else, it was refreshing to see the caliber stamped on the head of the cases and the rim fits right up flush with the chamber. The Krag brass leaves a bit of space by a few thousandths.

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Paper patched bullets will work great in those Shiloh cases.

Keep  on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint