Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) It Just Makes No Sense (Read 10533 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

It Just Makes No Sense
Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I received some brass from a fellow on another forum recently, most unusual brass in that it has Shiloh's head stamp and caliber markings.(40-70). It wouldn't fit my chamber so I resized it in my Lyman dies and was met with quite a bit of resistance in doing so. In fact, the cases grew about .012-.015". Most were 2.490" and after sizing, 2.502". After sizing, they dropped right into the chamber just by gravity. 

I decided to reload some of the cases and primed and then expanded with the Lyman expander that came with the dies which measures .408". My bullets are .409". Keep in mind there's no problems doing this and getting rounds to chamber when using the 30-40 Krag brass from BACO but with this brass there is a pronounced bulge right about where the base of the bullet is. This bulge shows up early on in the expanding process but seems to travel down when seating the bullet to it's base.

I measure the thickness of both the Shiloh brass and the Krag brass and they were for all purposes the same, plus or minus .001" at .012". The inside of the case mouth on both brass measures .408". What's going on? I see no reason they wont chamber but due to the bulge they won't fit. I can't figure what's causing the bulge. Measuring the case at the bulge is .437" whereas measuring a sized but non expanded or bullet seated case mikes at .428". Any ideas as to what's causing the problem? Am I missing something here?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: It Just Makes No Sense
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
How long are your 30-40 cases? Perhaps the end of your longer cases are hitting the end of the chamber rather than it everything being too large in diameter.

Have you made a chamber cast? Likely find your answer there.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 5:49pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Some of the cases I have from the stretched 30-40 Krag brass are 2.497-2.502". The other cases that's giving a problem are 2.490" on average but when sized they grow to 2.502-2.505". I had a couple cases of the Krag brass that measured 2.508" and drop right in the chamber so, it's not the length. I even tried anneal a few cases before resizing to see it that would help to no avail.

No chamber cast as yet. I haven't done that before and am a little skittish of "welding" the extractor, to be honest.

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I am guessing that the case thickness at that point in the case is the cause of the bulge after expanding and/or seating a bullet.  That is what happens to 405 brass when seating a gg bullet deep into the case.
PP bullets work great because they do not use much of the case for the bullet seating.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

march41

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Did you try neck sizing,Just alittle at a time.Try a stripe of marker on the case it might tell were the tight spot is,hope this helps,Bob.

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I had to full length size the cases as they wouldn't chamber in my rifle. About half an inch was still sticking out of the chamber. The thickness after sizing and expansion was nearly the same on both different cases...around .012. After sizing they both gave the same outside dimensions at the case mouth, .425". This is why I said it makes no sense.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:39pm by »  

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Compare the web diameters on the 2 different cases plus run a stripe of permanent magic marker the length of the case to see where it is rubbing.  If the web is too big, resize down to the case rim

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Elijah,
Here's another possibility that could be happening.
Do the bullets seat with equal pressure when using the different cases??  If it takes more force to seat one, you might be expanding the bullets enough to prevent them from chambering and that's why you're getting the .437" reading on the cases.  Most 40-70 chambers should be around .432" (give or take) at the cartridge mouth with a bullet seated.
I hade this same problem when setting up my first 45-90 and using Starline brass.  It needed to be annealed first.  Bob

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
The web diameters are .456" for the Shiloh case and .453" for the Krag brass. The die is all the way down about as far as it will go. It's lightly touching the shell holder.

At the case mouth with a bullet inserted the Shiloh brass measures .426" and the Krag mics at .429". that's sort of odd but that's what it is.

It does take a bit more pressure seating the bullet with the Shiloh brass given the same expander used with the Krag brass. I think I have several pin gauges that are .430-.432". If I can locate them I may try to see it the larger can go into the chamber. The expander is only .408" to accommodate the .409" bullets. I couldn't locate a .407" expander like I wanted.

This brass is fairly old as I understand it was made sometime back in the 90's. Don't know if that matters or not but I did try annealing a couple cases all to no avail...same results. It's been used 2-3 times and looks nearly new.

OK-found my pin gauges. First, I pushed the .430" into the chamber and it was like dropping a BB in a barrel. Went to the .432" and it went right in and the largest I had, a .433" also went in easily but not loose or tight to the point I couldn't retrieve it. I'm inclined to think maybe I could have inserted a.434" pin in the chamber and that may be what it is. Therefore, no reason for the brass getting tight with a .432" bulge. A .434" bulge yep, that may cause a little problem overcoming but, the chamber is tapered and the pins are not. I don't know if my findings with the pins are worth their salt.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2013 at 12:05pm by »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
May or may not be a factor but size dies do very little to the web of a case.  No spring since it's solid underneath.  My .25 Krag some Krag brass fits fine others are too big at the Web and need to be relieved just a bit in the lathe. No amount of F/L sizing would bring them down to easy chamber. Had to remove material.

Short of a chamber cast paint a case with black marker to see exactly were the hang up is. .25 Krag thought it was the neck when Web just in front of the rim was the problem

Boats

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I took one each of the Shiloh case and the BACO Krag brass and marked both prior to FL sizing. The Shiloh is on the left. You ca readily see where it was tight some .080 from the rim and where it rubbed the marker. However, both measure .452" in that area. Measuring just ahead of the rim below that shinny area the Shiloh miked at .456" whereas the Krag brass was .453". Despite that, both fell right in the chamber up to the rim with no assistance.

While the Shiloh rim on the left looks thicker, it measures .068". That's exactly what's called for with current BACO Krag brass for the Shiloh rifle. The problem exists when the expanding process is complete. That's when the Shiloh case won't go all the way in as it does when sized only due to the bulge.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I may be off base however easy to try one more thing

Do the same thing you did with the die, clean the cases paint with black and chamber, see what's hanging up as it goes into the rifle.   

How does the brass feel when sizing.  Body too large the press goes hard on up stroke easy on down, die has swaged it to size . If it goes hard up and down feel indicates trouble at the web and lack of swage.

Boats

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
They go in the chamber easily, both of them until I expand. The Shiloh cases are a real pain to resize and there's a lot of resistance compared to the Krag case. Well, you can see where it gave a lot of trouble sizing. Going up into the die takes a bit of effort. Releasing is not as bad.

I just got a package from UPS a minute ago. Inside the package were 100 30-40 Krag cases from BACO...for the Shiloh. I dropped one in the chamber but it wouldn't go in all the way-lacked about 1/4" so I resized it. No problem sizing the case and I even ran the expander through it. It drops right in the chamber without any hangup or bulge. Looks like I may have to abandon using the Shiloh stamped cases and just contend to using the Krag cases I got today....shame.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure if I'm following you but, if it chambers w/o a bullet and doesn't with a bullet installed in the neck (if the bullet is setted deep enough) then either the flair from expaning or the whole neck is to large. Either run the cartridge into the setting die until the flair is ironed out and/or neck turn the brass.

It would be helpful to fire form a case and measure the neck area. The loaded round should not be larger that .001 at the neck that the fire formed case.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
The problem is the bulge from expanding it to accept a bullet. Once i expand and seat the bullet to length it won't chamber. I remove the flare prior to trying to chamber the round. There's no flare at that point. I only bell the case enough to get the bullet base started so it doesn't shave lead. The Krag cases do not bulge with the expander and they're no problem.

I haven't had a chance to take those problem rounds to the range as yet. I've had to run them back through the size die with bullet seated in order for them to chamber. Once fire formed things might be different.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint