Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic rouge powder (Read 3515 times)
happyone

rouge powder
Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Do any of you clean cases with  the walnut treated with rouge the purple stuff ? If so do you swab out the very fine coating on inside of the case.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: rouge powder
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
don;t worry it'll help polish your bore.    Joking of course.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 12:12am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:20pm:
Joking of course.

Maybe not...over the course of 100s of shots.  Several yrs ago, that "fire-lapping" kit consisting of abrasives & steel plates with which to impregnate a lead bullet was getting a lot of attention in gun mags, though I haven't heard of it a long while.  Think pre-impregnated bullets were also available.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:45am
Print Post  
FWIW, my father died of lung cancer attributed to a lifetime of polishing stuff with rouge.  He started as an apprentice at age 14 & died on his 63rd birthday. That stuff is not harmless.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 12:12am:
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:20pm:
Joking of course.

Maybe not...over the course of 100s of shots.  Several yrs ago, that "fire-lapping" kit consisting of abrasives & steel plates with which to impregnate a lead bullet was getting a lot of attention in gun mags, though I haven't heard of it a long while.  Think pre-impregnated bullets were also available.
Bullets for 'fire lapping' are still available. Every reputable barrel maker I'm aware of these days states unambiguously that using any of these in their barrel voids the warranty. They may be helpful in an old barrel with rust and pitting, but would never use in a newer barrel. If it won't shoot, I would be talking to the mfgr. 

Get a can of compressed air and blow out each case and wipe the outside. That's one reason I've gone to wet tumbling. Always made me uncomfortable to have that 'dust' in/on the case.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I used to use the rouge walnut media but gave it up due to the residue.  Now using corncob which works ok.  Like SSShooter I think wet is best.   

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Any of those fine grinding polishing abrasives can be harmfull if inhaled.  most are based on some form very fine dust-like silicon dioxide (glass) crystals. 
In the lungs they create a medical condition Silicosis which has killed off generations of metal finishers, stone workers and any number of related trades.  "Black Lung" from coal dust is a somewhat similar disease. As I recall at times Silicosis was called "white lung" by stone cutters and quarrymen
In industry now OSHA requires workers who risk exposure to wear very special dust filter masks or even positive pressure hoods and suits.
I doubt that our personal reloading exposure to a little bit of jewelers rouge in the polishing medium will have that drastic effect but once ANY gets in the lungs it stays there permanently.   
That residual glass dust probably melts in the heat-pressure of combustion in the cartridge and along with glass particles from the primer could be part of the fouling in your bore.  It could possibly be a contributor to bore wear.   
If t'were me I'd clean it, probably by washing rather than blowing it into the shop air---sure don't want to dilute all those good lead particles from my bullet casting Wink

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Rouge is simply iron oxide in a wax media.  If you want it to not stick to your cases, add about 2 teaspoons of paint thinner to your tumbler when you polish.  It will polish about 3 times as fast that way too.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint