Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 40-50 Sharps BN (Read 4120 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

40-50 Sharps BN
Aug 30th, 2013 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I am currently having a project finished. It is in 40-50 SBN. Does anyone shoot this round and if so what are some starting loads?

JHolland

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Re: 40-50 Sharps BN
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Black or smokeless powder??....

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mike_S.
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 12:21am
Print Post  
This is what I've collected over the years, not sure if all the links are active though.  Some links are to other forums (looked in the forum rools & it appears to be alright):
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
And one for the .40-50 straight

This should get you started.  Regards, Mike

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Many thanks Mike. Another contributor "Trapdoordick" is finishing my Trapdoor on an English sporter style stock. Thanks for the info.

JHolland

IP Logged

Littleman
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
The May-June 1993 Handloader Magazine contains a Ken Waters Pet Loads article on the 40-50SBN.  Loads for a variety of smokeless and black powders and cast bullets ranging from 225 to 290 grains are identified.  I recently got an original copy from Wolfe Publishing.

I paper patch the 40-50SBN with a .3925" bullet from an adjustable length KAL mould.  Cases are Norma 45-120 sized in a Redding FL die to 40-50 and then the extraordinarily long neck is trimmed to proper length.  I first used Starline 45-70 brass but didn't find a paper/bullet combination that allowed reloading without neck sizing.  The thicker Norma brass trimmed way back allows me to reload with 16# 100% rag paper without neck sizing.  Some neck diameters are a little tighter than others so I use patches treated with Rooster lube for the larger and untreated patches for the smaller.  As I'm shooting the cases the tighter ones are becoming better fireformed and the treated patches are the better fit.  

For black powder, Old Eynsford powder is working well in the cartridge.  Clean burning and volume for volume gives the same trajectory as Swiss 1.5.  My charge wouldn't do you much good because there are too many variables such as wad and lube cookie thicknesses and case volume.  You just need to stack the wad/lube/black powder to allow space left over to seat the bullet to your desired depth.  I leave .200".

roger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have a 40-50 BN in a little Italian made sharps carbine that I bought from a fellow shooter at Etna green a few years back.  got a whole outfit cases, dies, PP mold a batch of loaded ammo etc.  I think it was a Probably a cowboy action single shot.n I never did a whole lot with it.  I took it out and shot a few dozen rounds of the ammo that came with it.   Might be a decent deer hunting rifle out to 100/125 yards>  I'll dig the box out and see what mold etc is in it and add information later in the day if it looks helpful.  As I recall he used 5744 powder.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint