Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chrony (Read 8814 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Chrony
Aug 20th, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
What are your thoughts on Chrony chronograph, good? bad? Much cheaper than an Ohler.
Mike

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Re: Chrony
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I have an F-1 Chrony that I bought used close to 20 years ago. I've compared/tested it side to side with others, and it works just as well as it's higher priced competitors.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I've never used a chrony, but my Competition Electronics ProChrono has worked flawlessly for the last two years!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 2:17am
Print Post  
I bought my Chrony back in '86. It's taken many likin' and is still tickin'. I also have a Model 1 Pact that I don't use very much because it's much harder to set up.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Mines old too, never let me down.  All it does is give speed no complicated functions.  You can do the math with a pencil.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Mine is a few years old and is the cheapo model, but does the math. You just have to write it down. Wish I had gone for the bit more expensive model that has a display on a cable that is next to you rather than having to get up to go retrieve the numbers. Is a PITA. In fact, I might even spring for the model with the printer option. All-in-all, pleased with the Crony.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:37am
Print Post  
A friend wanted to check out his Crony the other day so I set up my Ohler 33 and put his Crony right in line with it so that the shots went thru both.  His Crony measured within 1-2 fps each time which is plenty close enough.  His Crony also set up in about 1/4 the time that it takes me to assemble the ten foot long stand, sky screens and hook things up.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Has anyone seen or used the new magnetochrony?  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It doesn't use an optical sensor.   It's not cheap, around $300.   

Dave

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
You can spend a lot more money but you can't get a better chronograph than a Chrony.
  As far as the strap on chronograph two guys that shoot at my club have them. They are great for reading velocities however they do affect accuracy. If you are using the chronograph to find an accurate load they aren’t much good.

40 Rod

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I have a Beta Master Chrony.  Bought it years ago.  After the learning curve it has functioned without failure.  @ $140 (+/-) I think it is still one of the best deals on the market.  May not fit every ones needs but, it is more than adequate for me,  including simple operation.
One of the nice things about 'chrony' is their upgrade policy and willingness to help.

Cary

P.S.  I got this model because I hate the math part  Angry  and this gives all of the data I need along with being able to "transport" that info home with me for review.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Just used my Crony Alpha yesterday. The only complaint I have have are their flipping sunshades. I say flipping as they will flip the rods about 10' if you aren't careful. Other than that it is a no-brainer to use.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 6:00pm:
Just used my Crony Alpha yesterday. The only complaint I have have are their flipping sunshades. I say flipping as they will flip the rods about 10' if you aren't careful. Other than that it is a no-brainer to use.

I bought a Chrony a year ago.  WHEN I replace the 97 parts of the two screens with something a LOT simpler I will take it to the range.  BAD design just to get it into a small shipping box.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:07pm:

I bought a Chrony a year ago.  WHEN I replace the 97 parts of the two screens with something a LOT simpler I will take it to the range.  BAD design just to get it into a small shipping box.

Well, really only 14 parts. Think four (4) one-piece rods that are bent properly to go into the screens at the top end would sure make things easier. Now that you've piqued my interest, I'll search out some hard wire and do just that. Like you said, think it was designed around easy packaging rather than the end user in mind.

GTalk  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
You really don't need those shades. I fought mine for a year or two, I made all kinds of things to attach to it and then threw them away. As long as the sun can't get directy into the photocell, it will work. You just need a adjustable side shade about 12 x 24 mounted on a tripod.

I usually put my Chrony about 18 - 24" in front of the muzzle and about 12 - 18" below it. If the angle of the sun misses the eye, I'm fine, if not, I find a way of shading it from the side or with the overhead shade from above the bench. Cloudy days are great, too.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
If you have a chance to look at/Try one of the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono's.....You would probably like it! Very simple to set up! just has four steel rods that slide into the body, and two sun shades that sit on top....if you  use them, Not necessary except in Bright sun above, and can be used with an accesory remote/pc interface.
The only trouble i've had with mine is ME forgetting to turn it off and finding the battery dead, it does have room to keep a spare battery. I decided to try this brand partly because a fellow shooter had one, and also because it is the same brand of the timers we use at the Action Pistol Matches I run.
Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint