Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 8.15x46R Stop ring mold (Read 4364 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

8.15x46R Stop ring mold
Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Hello
I want to order a stop ring mold from Accurate Molds, but I need advice on diameters. Nose, bore riding I assume, How much larger than groove diameter should the driving bands be, and the hardest choice, how large should the stop ring be? Does the stop ring do any thing other than prevent the bullet from sliding into the case. If the stop ring acts as a gas seal then the diameter is very important & I will need a chamber cast.
Thanks for any advise
Mike

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: 8.15x46R Stop ring mold
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Mike, your over working your needs.  The 8.15x46R stop ring bullet is either a standard 316 or 320 base diameter weighing 180grs.  Measure your groove diameter and order the bigger bullet diameter. My Aydt is 305 bore/316 groove - so I shoot the 180320 Stop Ring bullet so it will obturate in the groove.

If you need a 316 base diameter stop ring mold - I'll sell my Buffalo Arms 316180 mold

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Mike  everything starts from your individual rifle's chamber and throat/bore dimensions.  As I understand it; in basic theory the bullet base should be a snug fit in the mouth of your fired case as expanded to fit the neck of the chamber. 
The diameter of the "stop ring" itself should be about equal to the OD of your fired case mouth the length of the stop ring band should fill any gap between the forward edge of the case mouth and the rear edge of the leade/throat. depending on how the throat/leade is cut in your rifle you may be able to use a bit of a tapered nose or even a few slightly tapered bands to a bore riding segment of the nose.

I have used the Buffalo Arms standard 8.15x46r stop ring bullet mould but I think that one made especially to fit the way my chamber was cut might potentially be more accurate. So I am planning on getting a custom dimensioned Accurate Mold also, once I get a few fired cases to get an average measurement and I am going to do a cerro-safe chamber cast early next week to see exactly how my chamber is dimensioned.  even with nominally standard cartridge chambering tool dimensions different gunsmiths might cut them deeper or shallower. Original European schuetzen rifles may predate standardized cartridge dimensions as well.  So a chamber/throat cast will guide me to proper case trim length as well as correct diameters for my rifle.

I will be trying a number of different 32-40 breech-seated bullets as well.  I recognize too that these rifles were designed as Offhand rifles rather than benchrest rifles and that a basic bullet/load may offer practical-accuracy enough when we factor in the variables we create as offhand shooters.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

schutte
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I designed the Accurate Mold stop ring mold 32-182N based on the chamber in my rifle.  After making a chamber cast, the chamber and throat area were drawn in AutoCad.  The bullet diameters and bullet length were then determined.   

I also designed mold 32-195P for the same rifle. Only the bottom band will be in the case or it can be breech seated.

The only shooting I have down with either bullet is plinking behind my house while fireforming cases.  All cases are made from 30-30 brass.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
further personal thoughts:   I Have absolutely no idea who/what/when/where the Buffalo arms stop-ring was designed for.  However I suspect strongly that it's generic one-size-may/may-not-fit-all has caused a lot of shooters, who are trying to get an old euro-shuetzen working they way they were originally used, to conclude that they don't shoot well.   A look at some of the old german swedged bullet supply house catalogue pages shows clearly that the offered a very wide variety of different stop-ring bullets in differing bore diameters.  It also seems they offered sample packs of differing sizes and styles to find out what shot best in a given rifle.   I'm pretty well convicted that a stop-ring bullet properly designed to fit a specific chamber neck/cartridge-case and throat should be perfectly adequate for offhand competition (within the shooters ability of course Sad)

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Chickenthief

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:10am
Print Post  
The 8.15x46R and 32-40 has one basic flaw that we try to work around as reloaders.
None of the cases has parallel necks to properly steer/guide the buppet into the rifling.
The next best thing is to have the bullet nose touch the rifling/forcing cone.
That way it is centered at the nose and in/by the case.

I have 1 Accurate mould that is .317" at the nose for short brass. It will touch the rifling and shoots better than my eyes can.
I had another Accurate made with a .300" boreriding nose that i use in full length resized 30-30 brass. No load development as of yet.

The reason is that my rifle has no throat but the neck diameter continues directly into the rifling, being @ .495" long. (in fact it will chamber a 32-40 loaded round!)

As a general rule boreriders are a "bad" thing in as they are notorisly difficult to design and get to shoot good.
The nose has to be large enough that it lightly engraves the rifling but small enough that a bullet cast a little big should still enter the rifling without excessive force.

A borerider cast "small" will essentially be free floating the long nose in the rifling without support. No good.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here is the bullet with the "big" nose just grasing the rifling
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint