Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Brass (Read 2881 times)
Stractor

Brass
Aug 14th, 2013 at 1:03am
Print Post  
A quick question--Do you need to anneal new cases??? Some I have you can see that they were annealed (color change on the neck), but most are the same color all over, which would tend to indicate they were either cleaned prior to boxing or were not annealed, the brass being deemed soft enough by the manufacturer.
Thanks
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2013 at 4:54pm by Stractor »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Brass
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 6:13am
Print Post  
It depends, some cases are fairly soft from the factory and some chambers don't work the brass much.  My WW 38/55 cases used at least a dozen times each before annealing  Fired to sized is perhaps .003 very little working of the brass

New Starline 40/65 cases in a chamber that's going to make the brass expand right much each firing will anneal all after the first fire forming load.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I anneal new brass after resizing to 38-56 just to be sure. Then anneal at the end of the season just to be sure. Once a year is working fine for me, whether they need it or not. Thus far I've not lost a single case to a split mouth.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  
If you use Bertram cases, then yes,you must anneal or they may split when neck expanding.
Fred

IP Logged

ireload2

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Usually not. You can try squeezing a few case mouths out of round with your fingers or pliers to get a feel for it. You will find some brands like Starline are very hard and should be annealed to reduce blow by if nothing else.

Stractor wrote on Aug 14th, 2013 at 1:03am:
A quick question--Do you need to anneal new cases??? Some I have you can see that they were annealed (color change on the neck), but most are the same color all over, which would tend to indicate they were either cleaned prior to boxing or were not annealed, the brass being deemed soft enough by the manufacturer.
Thanks
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint