Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reloading the 310 Martini Cadet (Read 12496 times)
vol717

Reloading the 310 Martini Cadet
Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I have about a dozen Martini Cadets but none in the original caliber until now.  I just bought a Cadet in nearly new condition, especially the bore.    I would like to start loading for it.  I did a little online research but I didn't cotton to  the idea of casting heeled lead bullets and the other machinations of that approach.   Can someone suggest an easier approach?  I would not be totally opposed to a chamber adapter or some other non-permanent solution.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Re: Reloading the 310 Martini Cadet
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
The easiest approach is to buy 310 Cadet brass and the proper 310 Cadet bullets, both available from BACO. Prime and charge the cases, thumb seat the bullets, then fire them. To reload, use a universal decapper and repeat the above. 

Results @ 100 yds:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

vol717

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I can't find BACO on the net.  Is it Australian?

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I tried loading my 310 cadet using modified 32-20 brass and cast bullets ment for 32 cap and revolver.   That was some 20 years ago.  The results were not good.  I think I could have thrown the bullets by hand with more accuracy.  310 cadet brass and dies are available now but awful expensive.

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I love loading for my Cadet. I have the proper RCBS mold that makes a heeled bullet. .32-20 cases are usable when the rims are swaged thinner. I have the swage and would gladly do cases for anyone who needs them. Return postage is all that would be required unless you want a huge quantity done. A hundred or so would be fine. I tumble lube the bullets with Lee Liquid Alox and when dry I insert them into the the unsized cases. 4.2 grains of Unique shoots to the sights, but your results might vary
Bill

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Some Cadets will chamber and fire the 32-20 round without modification, mine does. Accuracy is not very good. The proper heeled bullets are the key to getting them to shoot well.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
No dies needed for reloading either - at least, not in mine.  Deprime, reprime, charge, seat bullet.  Then fire and restart.  A really fun little rifle and cartridge, pretty accuracte too - if you can manage the sights.  Will shoot well out there, 200 yds no issue - and pretty sure it will do well at longer distances, provided you can read the wind.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I have often said that nobody ever built a better barrel than BSA-----so why did they make such a balls up of chambering them? Some 310 Cadets need the correct nominal length brass with the rims thinned down from 32-20 and others don't. Mine is happy with the 32-20 rim and chambers a case about .15" longer than the nominal.
I use a set of 310 dies to form the brass and for the first load---after that, I use Gert's method with 4.5grn of Unique. I normally recommend 4.2grn, but increase my own charge slightly to compensate for the longer case.
Fred

IP Logged

vol717

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2013 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I'm very grateful for all of your input. With the help of two great fellas, both Bills, I was able to acquire some cast lead bullets and get some cases made.  One Bill gave me a bag of the heeled bullets cast in the RCBS mold.   The other Bill has a swage in which the 32-20 case rim can be thinned.  The swage is like a .32-20 chamber with a  rim recess to fit the .310.  I gather that he placed a steel or brass block on top of the case head and whacked it to thin the rim. This process  thinned the rim to .065, just perfect for my rifle. The headstamps aren't affected at all.  I gather that the rim gets a little larger in diameter, but it isn't noticeable and it fit my chamber well.     Then I found that I had to trim cases to 1.100 in order to chamber the cartridge. Overall length was 1.600.  The only load I've tried so far is 5 grains of Unique.  The rifle shoots to  the sights and although I haven't fired it for groups, I think it will do fine.   Now I just need to lay in a quantity of bullets.    I used 32-20 Lyman loading dies for loading. Except for sizing the new brass to remove mouth dents, and flaring the case mouth with the expander die, I think I could load it all by hand by just pushing the bullets in the case.  Those archaic heeled bullets are rather useful in that regard.  After the first firing I think that's all I'll need.  What a neat round!  UPDATE:  I can't thumb press in the bullets, but the 32-20 dies work well.  Ultimately I had to shorten the cases to 1.090 for easy chambering. 
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2013 at 11:50pm by vol717 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint