Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic PB vs GC loads - whats the difference? (Read 3326 times)
is0086s

Bob Ryan

PB vs GC loads - whats the difference?
Aug 6th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I want to load some 25 cal cartridges for a lo wall. I have 25 cal PB (plain base - no gas check) bullets of about 88 gns. I can find loads for lymans 257312 which is close in weight but is a GC (gas check) bullet. How different (if any?) is a load for a GC bullet from a load for a PB bullet of equivalent weight with the same powder in the same cartridge case? I know bullet shape and alloy come into it but the bullets I'm looking at are similar in shape and I have no idea what the alloy is/was for either bullet. Is there a rule of thumb for GC vs PB bullet loads?

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: PB vs GC loads - whats the difference?
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Typicaly but maybe not always you find a barrel full of lead if you try to push your plainbase to gas check velocities.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Far as load data could be some more pressure created by the gas check however My guess is it's minimal.

Big difference is plain base is limited in velocity while gas checks can be pushed faster. My break in 30 calibers is 1500 to about 1600 fps over use gas checks under plain base.  Switch from Plain to Gas Check may be at lower velocity in smaller calibers.

Alloy is going to be important in getting good results Smaller bullets more sensitive to temper than large.  I recommend high tin/lead ratio.   

And of course Plain Base is required by ASSRA rules

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I have faith in my alloy(linotype) and alox based lube. Have gotten completely away from GC as I found them unnecessary with my smokeless loads. If I need higher velocity I use a jacketed bullet. I always start below recommended charge and work up. I started casting as a matter of economy 50 years ago and am now using GC bullets without the GC with no issues. 
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Agree Gas Checks are largely a waste of time. Go fast use jacketed. Stay under 1500 or so not needed. I don't shoot much 30 caliber cast anymore, if starting fresh would only use plain base molds

Boats

IP Logged

Chickenthief

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I must be an oddball then.
I usually push plain base boolits to 1750-1800fps without leading of any kind (BHN 12-13).
Boolit fit is the key here!

A gascheck wont deter lead shaving/smearing, but it will be a complete gas barrier. That is essential with "soft" boolits and high pressures.
A good GC load will go faster than 2400fps without leading. But it takes skill, time and a lot of patience  Wink

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I usually save the GC bullets for my hunting loads in 38-55 and 45-70. However, in this same line of questions, I have always wondered if there was an increased barrel wear concern with some of the older/softer steel barrels with gas checks (thinking primarily of the Lyman 257420 gas checked bullet).
Tom

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint