Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Seating Stem Leaving Ring (Read 6481 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Seating Stem Leaving Ring
Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I have a Saeco mould for the 45-70 (645) and a set of Lyman dies that comes with two seating punches. One looked more appropriate for the 645 bullet but leaves a ring around the nose of the rather soft 1:20 alloyed bullet. Is there a better seating stem for this bullet? I don't know if Lyman makes anymore than the two they send in the dies for sure and couldn't find any. I'm not using the bullet to seat the charge but rather a compression die. The bullet "may" seat an extra .005" or so but nothing that should cause a ring.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Seating Stem Leaving Ring
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
You can use an epoxy like JB Weld and epoxy the tip of the bullet seater to match the bullet's tip.  I put the seater stem in my drill press and then bring the table up with the bullet on it until it seats in the epoxy along with a little pressure on it until it sets up.  Make sure you coat the bullet with lube.  I've read were some will even us aluminum foil or hot glue in the seater plug but I've never tried it.  Bob

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
I use the JB weld method most of the time, but have used the kids play doh as well.  It needs a few days to dry properly. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Sometimes the nose punch is too narrow and even with the epoxy the edges of the punch can still leave a ring. I ussually grind out the mouth of the nose punch a bit before I epoxy.

To center it I put the nose punch and the bullet in my lubersizer to ensure it is centered or else  in the sizing die and the bullet in a FL sized case in a shell holder. In addition to putting a release agent on the bullet, I also drape a piece of stretch and seal over the bullet before I set the epoxy in the nose punch down on the bullet to harden.

Over flow can wreck your sizing die. Better to use a luber sizer if you are able to hold the sizing die nose punch in it.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:14pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
If the fit is not too bad you can chuck up a bullet coat it with valve grinding compound and fit the stem to it.  Might take a few bullets.

Ring around the bullet is not all that bad. Looks funny does not hurt performance.

Boats

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I didn't get any notification of more posts so , I'm a bit late responding. I think I'll try the simplest method first and just take a round tubular hard stone and soften up the edges as they're extremely sharp. that could help but and if not, I'll try the JB or valve grinding compound. I have some of that but it probably won't do much as it's just 320 grit.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:11am
Print Post  
JB is not going to do much, valve compound cuts real good however you have to keep changing bullets if not cast hard.  One I just did chucked up in the lathe broke the hard corner with a cutter then finished with Valve grinding compound.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think I'll try the simplest method first and just take a round tubular hard stone and soften up the edges as they're extremely sharp. that could help but and if not, I'll try the JB or valve grinding compound.

Elijah don't waste your time with JB Weld, it is time consuming.  If you use valve grinding compound, the modification is permanent.  If you change bullets you'll have ring around the ogive again.

Use Hot Glue!  Clean the plug cavity, fill it up with hot glue, spit on the bullet nose and twist it in the hot glue.  Then take a razor blade and cut the excess glue from around the plug.  Less than 10 minutes.  Use a different bullet, pull out the glue and repeat the process for the new bullet

I use hot glue on top punches also

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:11am
Print Post  
J.B. Weld.  Time consuming?? Huh

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I have such an assortment of top plugs I've seldom run up on problems with those. It's been primarily bullet seating stems where I've had to consider modifications. Most of the time you get the appropriate seating plug depending on the mould but bullet seating dies seldom have more than one or two seating stems. If you have a Hoch mould, for instance, you may have to modify one of the stems or get another and change it if that current one works for other bullets.

Good suggestions given and thanks. I don't have a glue gun, John Boy, but it seems that's going to be added to my repertoire of goodies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint