Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alloying Bullet Metal (Read 10437 times)
creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Alloying Bullet Metal
Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
  A well know printed source writes; quote " Melt the lead first and cover it with powdered charcoal and thereafter keep the surface covered"

I have been casting lead bullets for approx 20 years and have never covered my molten lead with powdered charcoal.  What gives with the powered charcoal in the lead melt?

Does it (the charcoal) not get into the ladle each time it is immersed into the mix and then into the mold and become part of the final cast bullet?

I would like to know what others say on such procedures.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Alloying Bullet Metal
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
The function of the powdered charcoal is to burn and use up the oxygen on the surface of the metal so that the surface doesn't oxidize.  Of course, it will float, and should stay on top of the puddle in the ladle and not get into the mold.  That's good in theory.   

I'd not do it myself.  I find that when anything is floating on the melt, I get inclusions in the bullets, so I skim about every 10 to 20 bullets depending on how much dross forms on the melt surface.

dave

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
CMM it is in reference to using a bottom pour pot.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I agree completely Dave.
Cary Wink

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Used to hear about using Kitty Litter for the same thing. I prefer to skim often add nothing to the mix.  Ladle pour

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I ladle pour as well Boats, flux at the beginning of a 118 bullet session and again at the beginning of the next one. No skimming, stirring or extra fluxing once I start. To be honest I don't even weigh them anymore, I chuck the first ten and then visually sort the rest. They all come in within 4 tenths and I shoot them in the order as cast, thus the reason for no longer weighing them. It took me several years to get to that point and I do not recommend others to us my method unless they can do it with total confidence minus all doubt. One bad bullet in the bunch can ruin your day!

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
  A well know printed source writes; quote " Melt the lead first and cover it with powdered charcoal and thereafter keep the surface covered"
Creedmoormatch

The above quotation was written in a very old (approximately 100 years ago) Belding and Mull catalog in my collection and the practice of adding charcoal precedes all of us, except maybe Rudi and Keith.

Modern practices would seem to have proven it has little present value, at least with you folks.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
You guy's all missed the original question. "Alloying Bullet metal"  This procedure was probably a good method of Burning off oxygen and other impuities that were floating on top of a large batch. Not intended to be used for precision casting. Regards, FITZ. Grin

FITZ

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Fitz point is a good one.  When you alloy unknown metal all sorts of things burn off. No doubt charcoal would help.

Fact of the matter is I don't alloy up my lead anymore. Too much trouble. I can get unknown lead free from a friend of mine.  60 mile round trip in my 15 mpg truck. LP Gas bottle cost 20 bucks plus to fill buy the Tin and I still have lead that could have impurities

Latest pre alloyed I bought was 2 dollars a pound. 32/40 gets 36 to the pound Cheap per bullet

Boats

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:14am
Print Post  

I agree with Boats -- chasing free or cheapo lead is not my thing, either.  I just don't have the time to go looking for or rounding up lead from various sources. 

!5 minutes max on the inter-net with the Roto-Metals web site and I have bought already alloyed casting metal in ingots delivered across the country with no fuss and it is clean and good to go.

A vendor of the quality of Roto-Metals back East would be a plus, if anyone knows of such a  business.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
CMM RotoMetals is my source as well and you can't beat the free shipping on orders over 99.00. There facility is only about an hour over the hill from me so I generly have it here two days after submitting the order. They are great to business with.

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
$3 a pound now, 14.99 for 5 pounds 30-1 mix, about 8 cents a bullet for 200 grainer... Roll Eyes
van

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I notice the base price for lead on both the NY and London market is just over a dollar/lb. Who knows how many hands that passes thru before it hits the retail market. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Still cheaper than running a Bass Boat Van and does anyone know what the green fees are now for 18 holes? I haven't played that game since the 90's.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 6:07am
Print Post  
You can play Golf Sr Citizens package about 18 bucks or go to the high dollar courses 125 dollars a person and up.  My handicap that's a dollar a stroke

Best comparison to single shot shooting is Shot gunning. It's about 50 cents a shot shells and target fees at a cheap place. More at others.

I think about both when using 16 dollar a box rim fire ammo.  Still only 30 cents a shot. Make every one count helps match placing too

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint